Family Tree of Oswald Wrangham
of Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, England
- 1. Oswald Wrangham of the parish of Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, and subsequently of Lumley, parish of Chester-le-Street? Possibly married 2ndly (his first wife, ‘uxor Oswoldi Wrangham de Lomley’, having been buried at Chester-le-Street January 28th 1598/99) at Chester-le-Street June 2nd 1600 Jane Wilkinson (who may be the ‘Vidua Wrangham’ who married 2ndly at Chester-le-Street January 3rd 1610/11 William Curry(1)1. Whose first wife was buried at Chester-le-Street on December 29th 1609.). Buried at Chester-le-Street September 15th 1610 (‘Oswoldus Wrangham de Lomley’). Issue:
- 1.1. Richard Wrangham of Langton on the Wolds, East Riding of York, yeoman and milner. Possibly the Richard Wrangham baptised February 3rd 1572 at Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, son of Oswald Wrangham. Married Elizabeth - (‘the wife of Richard Wrangham’, buried July 24th 1634 at Langton). Purchased land at Langton Michaelmas term 9 James I (1611) and Michaelmas term 17 James I (1619)(2)2. P.R.O., London, CP 25/(2) 382/17 PFF 2658 and CP 25/(2) 379/9 PFF 2659. See ‘Yorkshire Feet of Fines for the Stuart Period’; The Yorkshire Archaeological Society, Record Series volumes LIII, 1915, and LVIII, 1917.. Mentioned as a defendant in the records of the Court of Star Chamber in the reign of James I(3)3. P.R.O., London, case nr. 05579, consisting of three documents, the largest of which is the complaint of Thomas Nandyke against William Denton, the incumbent of Langton. Thomas Nandyke claimed that William Denton owed him and his late brother £700. Armed with a writ, he seized hay, part of the tithes due to William Denton at Langton. The latter's supporters, including Richard Wrangham, whose name has been added between the lines, broke open locked yards and rescued the hay. Nandyke also tried to seize barley at Kirby Moorside and Richard Wrangham was one of the rioters, routers and disorderly persons who resisted the seizure. The other two documents are the replies of William Denton and William Denton the Younger to this complaint. See ‘Index to the Court of Star Chamber; James I’, P.R.O.. Died in Langton on the Wolds March 10th 1635/6. Administration granted to his brother John Wrangham of ‘Lumbley’, Co. Durham, at the Prerogative Court of York, March 11th 1635/6. Inquisition Post Mortem dated 13 Charles I (1637), naming his brother John Wrangham as his heir(4)4. P.R.O., London, WARD 7/89/121 PFF 2659. See ‘Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem for the County of York in the P.R.O. London’; The Yorkshire Archaeological and Topographical Association, Record Series volume I, 1885..
- 1.2. John Wrangham of Lumley, Co. Durham. Possibly the John Wrangham baptised November 23rd 1578 at Witton Gilbert, son of Oswald Wrangham. A parish constable in 1641/42?(5)5. ‘Durham Protestations or the Returns made to the House of Commons in 1641/2 for the Maintenance of the Protestant Religion for the County of Durham, the Borough of Berwick upon Tweed and the Parish of Morpeth’; Publications of the Surtees Society, vol. CXXXV, for the year MCMXXII. Possibly the John Wrangham who married at Chester-le-Street, October 12th 1613 Isabella or Elizabeth Acheson. Named as the heir of his brother Richard Wrangham of Langton in the Inquisition Post Mortem dated 13 Charles I (1637). Issue:
- 1.2.1. Robert Wrangham(6)6. Burke's ‘Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland’ (vol. II, pages 311-313; London, 1835; the forerunner to Burke's Landed Gentry) mistakenly states that Robert Wrangham was the son of Robert Wrangham of Langton on the Wolds, buried April 17th 1668. According to the pedigree recorded in this work ‘the family is traditionally descended from the MR. WRAYNHAM, or WRANGHAM, of the State-Trials, the talented, upright, and undaunted victim of the "meanness" of Lord Bacon, or rather that of his servants; and it is recorded in the very first year (1653) of the registers of Langton on the Wolds, near Malton, where some pieces of ground, still bearing the name of "Wrangham's closes", attest its ancient respectability. That property, however, through the subdivision rendered necessary by the populousness of one or two generations, or by the imprudence or improvidence of some of its possessors, has gradually melted away.’ Later generations of the family appear in the 1937 and 1952 editions of Burke's Landed Gentry. of Langton, husbandman(7)7. As described in his will.. Possibly the Robert Wrangham baptised October 9th 1614 at Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham. Married at Norton July 16th 1643 Ellen Coates (baptised January 16th 1619/20 at Norton and buried March 31st 1691 at Langton), daughter of Raiphe Coates and his wife Isabel (probably the Isabel Coates who was buried January 24th 1658/9 at Langton)(8)8. Raiphe Coates and his wife Isabel had the following issue, all baptised at Norton: Marie, baptised February 5th and buried February 16th 1618/19; Ellen or Hellena, wife of Robert Wrangham; John, baptised March March 23rd 1622/23 and buried March 16th 1625/26; Robert, baptised July 27th 1627; Isabell, baptised May 6th 1632 and buried November 13th 1635. Robert Coates had issue: Isabell, buried August 24th 1653.. Buried at Langton April 17th 1678. Will dated April 15th 1678; probate granted at York September 19th 1678. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199. George Wrangham.
- 188.8.131.52. Elizabeth Wrangham. Born May 22nd and baptised May 24th 1657 at Langton. Married at Langton July 25th 1681 Thomas Waller.
- 184.108.40.206. Robert Wrangham. Baptised March 31st 1662 at Langton. Buried at Langton January 3rd 1684.
- 220.127.116.11. John Wrangham. Buried at Langton February 6th 1667/8.
- 18.104.22.168. Anne Wrangham. Mentioned in her father's will.
- 1.2.2. Anne Wrangham. Baptised September 29th 1616 at Chester-le-Street (‘fil. John Wranham de Lumley’). Possibly the Anne Wrangham who married John Seller (buried September 16th 1662 at Langton?) and is mentioned in the will of her brother Robert Wrangham of Langton, dated April 15th 1678. Buried at Langton January 25th 1680? Issue:
- 22.214.171.124. Robert Seller. Mentioned in his uncle Robert Wrangham's will, dated April 15th 1678.
- 1.2.3. John Wrangham. Baptised February 7th 1619/20 at Chester-le-Street.
- 1.2.4. Jane Wrangham. Baptised June 15th 1623 at Chester-le-Street. Possibly the Jane Wrangham who married at Chester-le-Street June 23rd 1653 John Pilkington. Possible issue:
- 126.96.36.199. John Pilkington. Baptised March 19th 1654 at Chester-le-Street.
- 188.8.131.52. Richard Pilkington. Baptised May 11th 1656 at Chester-le-Street.
- 1.2.5. Richard Wrangham. Baptised September 4th 1625 at Chester-le-Street. Possibly the Richard Wrangham buried at Chester-le-Street November 6th 1625.
- 1.2.6. Oswald Wrangham. Baptised November 5th 1626 at Chester-le-Street. Probably the ‘Ouswan Wrangham’ who married at Chester-le-Street April 8th 1656 Isabell Hall. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206. Robert Wrangham. Baptised September 18th 1664 at Chester-le-Street.
Back one generation to 1.2.1. Robert Wrangham
- 220.127.116.11. George Wrangham of Langton, yeoman(9)9. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: October 19th 1710 (A 341 486), May 5th 1711 (A 471 682), May 17th 1715 (D 344 573), February 13th and 14th 1723 (H 600 1210).. Married 1stly at Wintringham November 4th 1679 Frances Metcalfe (who was buried October 10th 1680 at Langton). Married 2ndly Anna or Hannah Southeran (baptised June 28th 1659 at Oswaldkirk and buried November 15th 1730 at Langton), daughter of John Southeran(10a)10a. Southeran: Robert Southeran (died October 3rd 1588 or 1589 at Coxwold) may be the father of George Southeran, who married at Coxwold April 24th 1587 or 1598 Anna Lintone and had the following issue: 5 daughters, respectively the mothers of John Johnson, Mary Leckenby, Ann ffoster, Richard and Ann Ransom, and Thomas Barker; John Southeran (see below).
John Southeran. Married Ann - (buried at Oswaldkirk August 23rd 1655). Will dated November 5th 1675, probate granted January 28th 1675/76. Issue: Elizabeth, who married at Ampleforth June 12th 1650 Thomas Watson; John Southeran (see below).
John Southeran. Yeoman, of Oswaldkirk. Married at Coxwold/Osgodby 13 or 15 November 1654 or 1655 Elizabeth Denison (for whose descent see below). Issue, all baptised at Oswaldkirk: Elizabeth (baptised February 1st or 10th 1655/56), married at Oswaldkirk October 24th 1699 Francis Browne; Anne or Hannah, married George Wrangham; John Southeran (baptised April 12th 1664 and buried August 22nd 1720 at Oswaldkirk, having made his will dated March 8th 1716/17, probate granted August 25th 1720), married Ann -, issue 10? children; Thomas (baptised August 20th 1665). and his wife Elizabeth Denison(10b)10b.
Denison: William Denison of Yearsley Milne (buried March 3rd 1637 at Coxwold) married Margaret - (who died February 26th 1635 at Yearsley Milne) and had the following issue: Ursula or Urselia (baptised February 14th 1592 at Coxwold), married at Coxwold May 12th 1616 Marmaduke Goodale, with issue; Robert (baptised March 25th 1597 at Coxwold); William; Richard; John Denison (see below).
John Denison. Married Elizabeth - (who died February 17th 1656). Died April 28th 1659. Issue: John Denison (see below); Anna (died December 23rd 1641); Margery, married - Hodgson, with issue Robert and Elizabeth Hodgson; Elizabeth, married John Southeran.
John Denison. Baptised August 19th 1632 at Coxwold. Married at Ryton May 25th 1657 Alice Hodgson of Wintringham. Issue: Anne (born c. 1658); John (born August 17th 1660 at Yearsley Milne); Winifred (baptised May 12th 1663 at Yearsley Milne).. Buried at Langton December 2nd 1730. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.1. George Wrangham. Baptised November 19th 1683 at Langton. Buried at Langton October 23rd 1727.
- 22.214.171.124.2. Elizabeth Wrangham. Baptised January 12th 1685/6 at Langton. Buried at Langton October 2nd 1706.
- 126.96.36.199.3. Robert Wrangham. Baptised July 31st 1688 at Langton. Buried at Langton August 11th 1688.
- 188.8.131.52.4. John Wrangham.
- 184.108.40.206.5. Anna Wrangham. Baptised December 15th 1692 at Langton.
- 220.127.116.11.6. Sarah Wrangham. Baptised August 31st 16-- at Langton. Married at Langton July 14th 1715 Richard Stephenson of Birdsall, yeoman, son of Richard Stephenson.
- 18.104.22.168.7. Robert Wrangham. Baptised October 5th 1699 at Langton. Buried at Langton July 12th 1701.
Back one generation to 22.214.171.124. George Wrangham
- 126.96.36.199.4. John Wrangham of Langton and New Malton. Variously described as yeoman(11)11. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: November 11th 1720 (H 12 25), February 2nd 1723 (H 601 1211), January 19th 1724 (I 175 398), July 7th 1733 (N 239 536), July 23rd and 24th 1742 (R 173 406), October 4th 1746 (S 363 884), December 19th and 20th 1751 (U 481 921), January 18th 1757 (Z 125 280). See also the baptismal entry of his daughter Ellen, November 2nd 1733, Langton., gentleman(12)12. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: January 8th 1729 (L 169 336), March 23rd 1732 (M 382 603), June 21st 1733 (M 382 604), December 19th 1735 (O 198 174), March 26th 1737 (P 30 74), May 14th 1737 (P 30 75), January 20th and 21st 1742 (Q 433 1075), May 1st and 2nd 1740 (Q 154 374), June 9th and 10th 1738 (P 195 511), June 16th and 17th 1738 (P 195 512), September 7th 1807 -‘... George Wrangham of Flotmanby, yeoman deceased who was the grandson of John Wrangham of Thorpe Bassett, gent deceased...’- (CM 280 433)., husbandman(13)13. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 23rd 1741 (Q 356 910), May 28th 1743 (R 211 497)., and innholder(14)14. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 21st 1744 (S 104 250), October 14th 1745 (U 289 550), November 19th and 20th 1746 (R 501 1223).. Baptised October 10th 1689 at Langton. Married 1stly at Middleton by Pickering May 7th 1711 Esther Stonehouse (buried May 19th 1720 at Langton), daughter of Richard Stonehouse (buried November 11th 1718 at Middleton), yeoman, and his wife Christian (buried August 13th 1724 at Langton)(15)15. Richard Stonehouse and his wife Christian had the following issue: William; Sarah, baptised July 16th 1676 at Middleton; Esther, wife of John Wrangham. Sarah Stonehouse married at Middleton January 24th 1710/11 Edward Beale of Langton, issue: Joseph Beale.. Married 2ndly at Saint Mary and Saint Nicholas, Beverley, February 18th 1723 Hannah Walker, daughter of William Johnson of Leavening (or Leven?), yeoman, and widow of - Walker. Voted as a freeholder in 1741 (as recorded in the Poll Book for the County of York)(16)16. Collection of the Society of Genealogists, London.. Buried at Fridaythorpe January 27th 1763. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 188.8.131.52.4.1. Richard Wrangham.
- 184.108.40.206.4.2. Robert Wrangham of New Malton, grocer(17)17. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: February 2nd 1750 (U 387 734). See also his burial entry, June 21st 1752, New Malton: ‘Mr Robert Wrangham, grocer.’. Baptised February 9th 1713/4 at Langton. Apprenticed in 1731 to Matthew Lister of New Malton, grocer &c., for 10 pounds. Married by licence (Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York) at Saint Michael le Belfry, York, March 11th 1739 Mary Lumley (born c. 1714) of Dalby. Buried at Saint Michael's, New Malton, June 21st 1752.
- 220.127.116.11.4.3. John Wrangham of New Malton, glover(18)18. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: November 19th and 20th 1746 (R 501 1223).. Baptised October 20th 1715 at Langton. Married at Great Edstone July 25th 1745 Mary Atkinson. Probably the ‘John Wrangham from Malton’ buried September 16th 1787 at Langton.
- 18.104.22.168.4.4. William Wrangham. Baptised July 1st 1717 at Langton. Buried August 31st 1720 at Langton.
- 22.214.171.124.4.5. George Wrangham. Baptised March 10th 1718/19 at Langton. Buried December 17th 1720 at Langton.
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 126.96.36.199.4.6. Elizabeth Wrangham. Baptised March 1st 1724/25 at Langton. Buried January 20th 1742/43 at Langton.
- 188.8.131.52.4.7. Ann Wrangham. Baptised November 1st 1727 at Langton. Buried April 27th 1742 at Langton.
- 184.108.40.206.4.8. William Wrangham. Baptised February 8th 1730/31 at Langton. Apprenticed in 1746 to Thomas Boreman of New Malton, mercer.
- 220.127.116.11.4.9. Sarah Wrangham. Baptised February 8th 1730/31 at Langton. Married at Saint Mary and Saint Nicholas, Beverley, September 24th 1758 John Loftus.
- 18.104.22.168.4.10. Ellen Wrangham. Baptised November 2nd 1733 at Langton.
Back one generation to 22.214.171.124.4. John Wrangham
- 126.96.36.199.4.1. Richard Wrangham of Langton. Variously described as gentleman(19)19. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 14th 1737 (P 30 75), June 9th and 10th 1738 (P 195 511), June 16th and 17th 1738 (P 195 512), May 1st and 2nd 1740 (Q 154 374)., yeoman(20)20. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: April 2nd 1739 (Q 20 39), May 21st 1744 (S 104 250), February 4th and 5th 1750 (U 463 884), May 14th and 15th 1752 (W 95 209)., and husbandman(21)21. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: September 25th 1742 (R 211 496).. Baptised August 17th 1712 at Langton. Married at Langton December 15th 1739 Phyllis Creaser (buried May 17th 1797 at Wharram Percy). Voted as a freeholder in 1741 (as recorded in the Poll Book for the County of York)(22)22. Collection of the Society of Genealogists, London.. Buried February 14th 1795 at Wharram Percy. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.4.1.1. Anne Wrangham. Baptised November 28th 1740 at Langton. Buried June 28th 1755 at Wharram Percy.
- 184.108.40.206.4.1.2. George Wrangham. Yeoman(30)30. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: November 28th 1775 (AW 40 75), May 17th 1792 (BQ 375 588), September 7th 1807 (CM 280 433). See also his will, dated June 15th 1790., gentleman(31)31. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 23rd 1791 (BP 428 698).. Baptised March 22nd 1741 at Langton. Married 1stly by licence (Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York) at Fridaythorpe July 19th 1769 Anne Fallowfield (who died in childbirth). Married 2ndly at Sherburn near Scarborough June 12th 1774 Margaret, widow of John Boyes, late of Ganton, yeoman. Will dated June 15th 1790. His son ‘the Archdeacon caused a marble tablet to be fixed in the church at Wharram Percy "to preserve from oblivion the name of George Wrangham, of Raisthorpe, in the parish, whose memory after nearly 50 years separation is still most tenderly cherished. This marble is erected in 1839 by the grateful love and veneration of his only child Archdeacon Wrangham. He died in 1791, aged 49, and now sleeps amongst his kindred in the adjoining churchyard"'(32)32. From: ‘A Yorkshire Parson of the Olden Times’ by George Wrangham Hardy; The Yorkshire Genealogist, 1899. The tablet has now been removed. For further information on Wharram Percy see ‘Wharram Percy, Deserted Medieval Village’ by Maurice Beresford and John Hurst, B.T. Batsford/English Heritage, London, 1990.. Issue, an only son:
- 220.127.116.11.4.1.3. Esther Wrangham. Baptised July 6th 1743 at Langton. Married 1stly by licence at Thorpe Bassett June 15th 1781 the Reverend Matthew Cook(23)23. Who could be the Matthew Cook (born c. 1734) who married Ann Gray (aged 20) at Pickering on January 26th 1755., vicar of Skipsea. Married 2ndly at Folkton July 26th 1792 the Reverend George Hicks Paul of Seaton Hall (baptised February 21st 1725 at Bridlington?), Rector of Catwick, son of Francis Paul. Portraits of both Esther Wrangham and her second husband were in possession of Canon John Francis Wrangham Hardy until his death in 199-. Will dated December 7th 1825; probate granted at York June 19th 1827. No issue.
- 18.104.22.168.4.1.4. Richard Wrangham. Gentleman(24)24. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 10th 1814 (CX 136 160). See also his will, dated September 21st 1826., yeoman(25)25. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: February 6th 1821 (DK 100 118).. Baptised July 1745 at Langton. Marriedby banns at Thorpe Bassett May 31st 1774 Grace Barker (will dated December 16th 1832; died October 1st 1837; probate granted October 25th 1837). Will dated September 21st 1826.
- 22.214.171.124.4.1.5. Robert Wrangham. Gentleman(26)26. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: September 7th 1807 (CM 280 433), June 18th 1817 (DC 76 113)., farmer. Baptised March 6th 1746/7 at Langton. Married 1stly 1778 Maria Whitehead. Married 2ndly by licence (Archbishop of York) at Birdsall February 16th 1796 Jane Brigham. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. William Wrangham. Baptised March 11th 1779 at Huttons Ambo.
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. William Wrangham. Baptised May 15th 1796 at Birdsall.
- 18.104.22.168.4.1.6. John Wrangham.
- 22.214.171.124.4.1.7. William Wrangham. Baptised November 15th 1750 at Langton. Buried July 21st 1778 at Wharram Percy.
- 126.96.36.199.4.1.8. Phyllis Wrangham. Baptised April 1st 1753 at Langton. Buried March 22nd 1764 at Wharram Percy.
- 188.8.131.52.4.1.9. Joseph Wrangham of Flotmanby. Gentleman(27)27. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 10th 1814 (CX 136 160). See also his will, dated November 15th 1828.. Captain of Militia (September 15th 1803), Harford and Derwent Dale(28)28. ‘List of Officers of the Militia, the Gentlemen and Yeomanry Cavalry and Volunteer Infantry of the United Kingdom’; collection of the Society of Genealogists, London.. Baptised November 14th 1755 at Wharram Percy. Unmarried. Will dated November 15th 1828. Buried August 22nd 1829 at Wharram Percy. ‘As a curious illustration of the difference in ideas of comfort or luxury between that time and the present, we may remark that... Joseph Wrangham of Flotmanby was the first householder in the district who had carpets to his floors. The richer class had the floors waxed and the poorer used sand or rushes. Many were the visitors who called to see this innovation and numerous the remarks on the so called extravagance.’(29)29. From: ‘A Yorkshire Parson of the Olden Times’ by George Wrangham Hardy; The Yorkshire Genealogist, 1899.