Family Tree of Oswald Wrangham
of Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, England
- 1. Oswald Wrangham of the parish of Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, and subsequently of Lumley, parish of Chester-le-Street? Possibly married 2ndly (his first wife, ‘uxor Oswoldi Wrangham de Lomley’, having been buried at Chester-le-Street January 28th 1598/99) at Chester-le-Street June 2nd 1600 Jane Wilkinson (who may be the ‘Vidua Wrangham’ who married 2ndly at Chester-le-Street January 3rd 1610/11 William Curry(1)1. Whose first wife was buried at Chester-le-Street on December 29th 1609.). Buried at Chester-le-Street September 15th 1610 (‘Oswoldus Wrangham de Lomley’). Issue:
- 1.1. Richard Wrangham of Langton on the Wolds, East Riding of York, yeoman and milner. Possibly the Richard Wrangham baptised February 3rd 1572 at Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, son of Oswald Wrangham. Married Elizabeth - (‘the wife of Richard Wrangham’, buried July 24th 1634 at Langton). Purchased land at Langton Michaelmas term 9 James Ⅰ (1611) and Michaelmas term 17 James Ⅰ (1619)(2)2. P.R.O., London, CP 25/(2) 382/17 PFF 2658 and CP 25/(2) 379/9 PFF 2659. See ‘Yorkshire Feet of Fines for the Stuart Period’; The Yorkshire Archaeological Society, Record Series volumes LIII, 1915, and LVIII, 1917.. Mentioned as a defendant in the records of the Court of Star Chamber in the reign of James Ⅰ(3)3. P.R.O., London, case nr. 05579, consisting of three documents, the largest of which is the complaint of Thomas Nandyke against William Denton, the incumbent of Langton. Thomas Nandyke claimed that William Denton owed him and his late brother £700. Armed with a writ, he seized hay, part of the tithes due to William Denton at Langton. The latter's supporters, including Richard Wrangham, whose name has been added between the lines, broke open locked yards and rescued the hay. Nandyke also tried to seize barley at Kirby Moorside and Richard Wrangham was one of the rioters, routers and disorderly persons who resisted the seizure. The other two documents are the replies of William Denton and William Denton the Younger to this complaint. See ‘Index to the Court of Star Chamber; James Ⅰ’, P.R.O.. Died in Langton on the Wolds March 10th 1635/6. Administration granted to his brother John Wrangham of ‘Lumbley’, Co. Durham, at the Prerogative Court of York, March 11th 1635/6. Inquisition Post Mortem dated 13 Charles Ⅰ (1637), naming his brother John Wrangham as his heir(4)4. P.R.O., London, WARD 7/89/121 PFF 2659. See ‘Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem for the County of York in the P.R.O. London’; The Yorkshire Archaeological and Topographical Association, Record Series volume Ⅰ, 1885..
- 1.2. John Wrangham of Lumley, Co. Durham. Possibly the John Wrangham baptised November 23rd 1578 at Witton Gilbert, son of Oswald Wrangham. A parish constable in 1641/42?(5)5. ‘Durham Protestations or the Returns made to the House of Commons in 1641/2 for the Maintenance of the Protestant Religion for the County of Durham, the Borough of Berwick upon Tweed and the Parish of Morpeth’; Publications of the Surtees Society, vol. CXXXV, for the year MCMXXII. Possibly the John Wrangham who married at Chester-le-Street, October 12th 1613 Isabella or Elizabeth Acheson. Named as the heir of his brother Richard Wrangham of Langton in the Inquisition Post Mortem dated 13 Charles Ⅰ (1637). Issue:
- 1.2.1. Robert Wrangham(6)6. Burke's ‘Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland’ (vol. Ⅱ, pages 311-313; London, 1835; the forerunner to Burke's Landed Gentry) mistakenly states that Robert Wrangham was the son of Robert Wrangham of Langton on the Wolds, buried April 17th 1668. According to the pedigree recorded in this work ‘the family is traditionally descended from the MR. WRAYNHAM, or WRANGHAM, of the State-Trials, the talented, upright, and undaunted victim of the "meanness" of Lord Bacon, or rather that of his servants; and it is recorded in the very first year (1653) of the registers of Langton on the Wolds, near Malton, where some pieces of ground, still bearing the name of "Wrangham's closes", attest its ancient respectability. That property, however, through the subdivision rendered necessary by the populousness of one or two generations, or by the imprudence or improvidence of some of its possessors, has gradually melted away.’ Later generations of the family appear in the 1937 and 1952 editions of Burke's Landed Gentry. of Langton, husbandman(7)7. As described in his will.. Possibly the Robert Wrangham baptised October 9th 1614 at Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham. Married at Norton July 16th 1643 Ellen Coates (baptised January 16th 1619/20 at Norton and buried March 31st 1691 at Langton), daughter of Raiphe Coates and his wife Isabel (probably the Isabel Coates who was buried January 24th 1658/9 at Langton)(8)8. Raiphe Coates and his wife Isabel had the following issue, all baptised at Norton: Marie, baptised February 5th and buried February 16th 1618/19; Ellen or Hellena, wife of Robert Wrangham; John, baptised March March 23rd 1622/23 and buried March 16th 1625/26; Robert, baptised July 27th 1627; Isabell, baptised May 6th 1632 and buried November 13th 1635. Robert Coates had issue: Isabell, buried August 24th 1653.. Buried at Langton April 17th 1678. Will dated April 15th 1678; probate granted at York September 19th 1678. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206. George Wrangham.
- 220.127.116.11. Elizabeth Wrangham. Born May 22nd and baptised May 24th 1657 at Langton. Married at Langton July 25th 1681 Thomas Waller.
- 18.104.22.168. Robert Wrangham. Baptised March 31st 1662 at Langton. Buried at Langton January 3rd 1684.
- 22.214.171.124. John Wrangham. Buried at Langton February 6th 1667/8.
- 126.96.36.199. Anne Wrangham. Mentioned in her father's will.
- 1.2.2. Anne Wrangham. Baptised September 29th 1616 at Chester-le-Street (‘fil. John Wranham de Lumley’). Possibly the Anne Wrangham who married John Seller (buried September 16th 1662 at Langton?) and is mentioned in the will of her brother Robert Wrangham of Langton, dated April 15th 1678. Buried at Langton January 25th 1680? Issue:
- 188.8.131.52. Robert Seller. Mentioned in his uncle Robert Wrangham's will, dated April 15th 1678.
- 1.2.3. John Wrangham. Baptised February 7th 1619/20 at Chester-le-Street.
- 1.2.4. Jane Wrangham. Baptised June 15th 1623 at Chester-le-Street. Possibly the Jane Wrangham who married at Chester-le-Street June 23rd 1653 John Pilkington. Possible issue:
- 184.108.40.206. John Pilkington. Baptised March 19th 1654 at Chester-le-Street.
- 220.127.116.11. Richard Pilkington. Baptised May 11th 1656 at Chester-le-Street.
- 1.2.5. Richard Wrangham. Baptised September 4th 1625 at Chester-le-Street. Possibly the Richard Wrangham buried at Chester-le-Street November 6th 1625.
- 1.2.6. Oswald Wrangham. Baptised November 5th 1626 at Chester-le-Street. Probably the ‘Ouswan Wrangham’ who married at Chester-le-Street April 8th 1656 Isabell Hall. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168. Robert Wrangham. Baptised September 18th 1664 at Chester-le-Street.
Back one generation to 1.2.1. Robert Wrangham
- 22.214.171.124. George Wrangham of Langton, yeoman(9)9. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: October 19th 1710 (A 341 486), May 5th 1711 (A 471 682), May 17th 1715 (D 344 573), February 13th and 14th 1723 (H 600 1210).. Married 1stly at Wintringham November 4th 1679 Frances Metcalfe (who was buried October 10th 1680 at Langton). Married 2ndly Anna or Hannah Southeran (baptised June 28th 1659 at Oswaldkirk and buried November 15th 1730 at Langton), daughter of John Southeran(10a)10a. Southeran: Robert Southeran (died October 3rd 1588 or 1589 at Coxwold) may be the father of George Southeran, who married at Coxwold April 24th 1587 or 1598 Anna Lintone and had the following issue: 5 daughters, respectively the mothers of John Johnson, Mary Leckenby, Ann ffoster, Richard and Ann Ransom, and Thomas Barker; John Southeran (see below).
John Southeran. Married Ann - (buried at Oswaldkirk August 23rd 1655). Will dated November 5th 1675, probate granted January 28th 1675/76. Issue: Elizabeth, who married at Ampleforth June 12th 1650 Thomas Watson; John Southeran (see below).
John Southeran. Yeoman, of Oswaldkirk. Married at Coxwold/Osgodby 13 or 15 November 1654 or 1655 Elizabeth Denison (for whose descent see below). Issue, all baptised at Oswaldkirk: Elizabeth (baptised February 1st or 10th 1655/56), married at Oswaldkirk October 24th 1699 Francis Browne; Anne or Hannah, married George Wrangham; John Southeran (baptised April 12th 1664 and buried August 22nd 1720 at Oswaldkirk, having made his will dated March 8th 1716/17, probate granted August 25th 1720), married Ann -, issue 10? children; Thomas (baptised August 20th 1665). and his wife Elizabeth Denison(10b)10b.
Denison: William Denison of Yearsley Milne (buried March 3rd 1637 at Coxwold) married Margaret - (who died February 26th 1635 at Yearsley Milne) and had the following issue: Ursula or Urselia (baptised February 14th 1592 at Coxwold), married at Coxwold May 12th 1616 Marmaduke Goodale, with issue; Robert (baptised March 25th 1597 at Coxwold); William; Richard; John Denison (see below).
John Denison. Married Elizabeth - (who died February 17th 1656). Died April 28th 1659. Issue: John Denison (see below); Anna (died December 23rd 1641); Margery, married - Hodgson, with issue Robert and Elizabeth Hodgson; Elizabeth, married John Southeran.
John Denison. Baptised August 19th 1632 at Coxwold. Married at Ryton May 25th 1657 Alice Hodgson of Wintringham. Issue: Anne (born c. 1658); John (born August 17th 1660 at Yearsley Milne); Winifred (baptised May 12th 1663 at Yearsley Milne).. Buried at Langton December 2nd 1730. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.1. George Wrangham. Baptised November 19th 1683 at Langton. Buried at Langton October 23rd 1727.
- 188.8.131.52.2. Elizabeth Wrangham. Baptised January 12th 1685/6 at Langton. Buried at Langton October 2nd 1706.
- 184.108.40.206.3. Robert Wrangham. Baptised July 31st 1688 at Langton. Buried at Langton August 11th 1688.
- 220.127.116.11.4. John Wrangham.
- 18.104.22.168.5. Anna Wrangham. Baptised December 15th 1692 at Langton.
- 22.214.171.124.6. Sarah Wrangham. Baptised August 31st 16-- at Langton. Married at Langton July 14th 1715 Richard Stephenson of Birdsall, yeoman, son of Richard Stephenson.
- 126.96.36.199.7. Robert Wrangham. Baptised October 5th 1699 at Langton. Buried at Langton July 12th 1701.
Back one generation to 188.8.131.52. George Wrangham
- 184.108.40.206.4. John Wrangham of Langton and New Malton. Variously described as yeoman(11)11. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: November 11th 1720 (H 12 25), February 2nd 1723 (H 601 1211), January 19th 1724 (Ⅰ 175 398), July 7th 1733 (N 239 536), July 23rd and 24th 1742 (R 173 406), October 4th 1746 (S 363 884), December 19th and 20th 1751 (U 481 921), January 18th 1757 (Z 125 280). See also the baptismal entry of his daughter Ellen, November 2nd 1733, Langton., gentleman(12)12. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: January 8th 1729 (L 169 336), March 23rd 1732 (M 382 603), June 21st 1733 (M 382 604), December 19th 1735 (O 198 174), March 26th 1737 (P 30 74), May 14th 1737 (P 30 75), January 20th and 21st 1742 (Q 433 1075), May 1st and 2nd 1740 (Q 154 374), June 9th and 10th 1738 (P 195 511), June 16th and 17th 1738 (P 195 512), September 7th 1807 -‘… George Wrangham of Flotmanby, yeoman deceased who was the grandson of John Wrangham of Thorpe Bassett, gent deceased…’- (CM 280 433)., husbandman(13)13. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 23rd 1741 (Q 356 910), May 28th 1743 (R 211 497)., and innholder(14)14. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 21st 1744 (S 104 250), October 14th 1745 (U 289 550), November 19th and 20th 1746 (R 501 1223).. Baptised October 10th 1689 at Langton. Married 1stly at Middleton by Pickering May 7th 1711 Esther Stonehouse (buried May 19th 1720 at Langton), daughter of Richard Stonehouse (buried November 11th 1718 at Middleton), yeoman, and his wife Christian (buried August 13th 1724 at Langton)(15)15. Richard Stonehouse and his wife Christian had the following issue: William; Sarah, baptised July 16th 1676 at Middleton; Esther, wife of John Wrangham. Sarah Stonehouse married at Middleton January 24th 1710/11 Edward Beale of Langton, issue: Joseph Beale.. Married 2ndly at Saint Mary and Saint Nicholas, Beverley, February 18th 1723 Hannah Walker, daughter of William Johnson of Leavening (or Leven?), yeoman, and widow of - Walker. Voted as a freeholder in 1741 (as recorded in the Poll Book for the County of York)(16)16. Collection of the Society of Genealogists, London.. Buried at Fridaythorpe January 27th 1763. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 220.127.116.11.4.1. Richard Wrangham.
- 18.104.22.168.4.2. Robert Wrangham of New Malton, grocer(17)17. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: February 2nd 1750 (U 387 734). See also his burial entry, June 21st 1752, New Malton: ‘Mr Robert Wrangham, grocer.’. Baptised February 9th 1713/4 at Langton. Apprenticed in 1731 to Matthew Lister of New Malton, grocer &c., for 10 pounds. Married by licence (Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York) at Saint Michael le Belfry, York, March 11th 1739 Mary Lumley (born c. 1714) of Dalby. Buried at Saint Michael's, New Malton, June 21st 1752.
- 22.214.171.124.4.3. John Wrangham of New Malton, glover(18)18. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: November 19th and 20th 1746 (R 501 1223).. Baptised October 20th 1715 at Langton. Married at Great Edstone July 25th 1745 Mary Atkinson. Probably the ‘John Wrangham from Malton’ buried September 16th 1787 at Langton.
- 126.96.36.199.4.4. William Wrangham. Baptised July 1st 1717 at Langton. Buried August 31st 1720 at Langton.
- 188.8.131.52.4.5. George Wrangham. Baptised March 10th 1718/19 at Langton. Buried December 17th 1720 at Langton.
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 184.108.40.206.4.6. Elizabeth Wrangham. Baptised March 1st 1724/25 at Langton. Buried January 20th 1742/43 at Langton.
- 220.127.116.11.4.7. Ann Wrangham. Baptised November 1st 1727 at Langton. Buried April 27th 1742 at Langton.
- 18.104.22.168.4.8. William Wrangham. Baptised February 8th 1730/31 at Langton. Apprenticed in 1746 to Thomas Boreman of New Malton, mercer.
- 22.214.171.124.4.9. Sarah Wrangham. Baptised February 8th 1730/31 at Langton. Married at Saint Mary and Saint Nicholas, Beverley, September 24th 1758 John Loftus.
- 126.96.36.199.4.10. Ellen Wrangham. Baptised November 2nd 1733 at Langton.
Back one generation to 188.8.131.52.4. John Wrangham
- 184.108.40.206.4.1. Richard Wrangham of Langton. Variously described as gentleman(19)19. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 14th 1737 (P 30 75), June 9th and 10th 1738 (P 195 511), June 16th and 17th 1738 (P 195 512), May 1st and 2nd 1740 (Q 154 374)., yeoman(20)20. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: April 2nd 1739 (Q 20 39), May 21st 1744 (S 104 250), February 4th and 5th 1750 (U 463 884), May 14th and 15th 1752 (W 95 209)., and husbandman(21)21. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: September 25th 1742 (R 211 496).. Baptised August 17th 1712 at Langton. Married at Langton December 15th 1739 Phyllis Creaser (buried May 17th 1797 at Wharram Percy). Voted as a freeholder in 1741 (as recorded in the Poll Book for the County of York)(22)22. Collection of the Society of Genealogists, London.. Buried February 14th 1795 at Wharram Percy. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.4.1.1. Anne Wrangham. Baptised November 28th 1740 at Langton. Buried June 28th 1755 at Wharram Percy.
- 18.104.22.168.4.1.2. George Wrangham. Yeoman(30)30. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: November 28th 1775 (AW 40 75), May 17th 1792 (BQ 375 588), September 7th 1807 (CM 280 433). See also his will, dated June 15th 1790., gentleman(31)31. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 23rd 1791 (BP 428 698).. Baptised March 22nd 1741 at Langton. Married 1stly by licence (Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York) at Fridaythorpe July 19th 1769 Anne Fallowfield (who died in childbirth). Married 2ndly at Sherburn near Scarborough June 12th 1774 Margaret, widow of John Boyes, late of Ganton, yeoman. Will dated June 15th 1790. His son ‘the Archdeacon caused a marble tablet to be fixed in the church at Wharram Percy "to preserve from oblivion the name of George Wrangham, of Raisthorpe, in the parish, whose memory after nearly 50 years separation is still most tenderly cherished. This marble is erected in 1839 by the grateful love and veneration of his only child Archdeacon Wrangham. He died in 1791, aged 49, and now sleeps amongst his kindred in the adjoining churchyard"'(32)32. From: ‘A Yorkshire Parson of the Olden Times’ by George Wrangham Hardy; The Yorkshire Genealogist, 1899. The tablet has now been removed. For further information on Wharram Percy see ‘Wharram Percy, Deserted Medieval Village’ by Maurice Beresford and John Hurst, B.T. Batsford/English Heritage, London, 1990.. Issue, an only son:
- 22.214.171.124.4.1.3. Esther Wrangham. Baptised July 6th 1743 at Langton. Married 1stly by licence at Thorpe Bassett June 15th 1781 the Reverend Matthew Cook(23)23. Who could be the Matthew Cook (born c. 1734) who married Ann Gray (aged 20) at Pickering on January 26th 1755., vicar of Skipsea. Married 2ndly at Folkton July 26th 1792 the Reverend George Hicks Paul of Seaton Hall (baptised February 21st 1725 at Bridlington?), Rector of Catwick, son of Francis Paul. Portraits of both Esther Wrangham and her second husband were in possession of Canon John Francis Wrangham Hardy until his death in 199-. Will dated December 7th 1825; probate granted at York June 19th 1827. No issue.
- 126.96.36.199.4.1.4. Richard Wrangham. Gentleman(24)24. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 10th 1814 (CX 136 160). See also his will, dated September 21st 1826., yeoman(25)25. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: February 6th 1821 (DK 100 118).. Baptised July 1745 at Langton. Marriedby banns at Thorpe Bassett May 31st 1774 Grace Barker (will dated December 16th 1832; died October 1st 1837; probate granted October 25th 1837). Will dated September 21st 1826.
- 188.8.131.52.4.1.5. Robert Wrangham. Gentleman(26)26. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: September 7th 1807 (CM 280 433), June 18th 1817 (DC 76 113)., farmer. Baptised March 6th 1746/7 at Langton. Married 1stly 1778 Maria Whitehead. Married 2ndly by licence (Archbishop of York) at Birdsall February 16th 1796 Jane Brigham. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. William Wrangham. Baptised March 11th 1779 at Huttons Ambo.
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. William Wrangham. Baptised May 15th 1796 at Birdsall.
- 126.96.36.199.4.1.6. John Wrangham.
- 188.8.131.52.4.1.7. William Wrangham. Baptised November 15th 1750 at Langton. Buried July 21st 1778 at Wharram Percy.
- 184.108.40.206.4.1.8. Phyllis Wrangham. Baptised April 1st 1753 at Langton. Buried March 22nd 1764 at Wharram Percy.
- 220.127.116.11.4.1.9. Joseph Wrangham of Flotmanby. Gentleman(27)27. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: May 10th 1814 (CX 136 160). See also his will, dated November 15th 1828.. Captain of Militia (September 15th 1803), Harford and Derwent Dale(28)28. ‘List of Officers of the Militia, the Gentlemen and Yeomanry Cavalry and Volunteer Infantry of the United Kingdom’; collection of the Society of Genealogists, London.. Baptised November 14th 1755 at Wharram Percy. Unmarried. Will dated November 15th 1828. Buried August 22nd 1829 at Wharram Percy. ‘As a curious illustration of the difference in ideas of comfort or luxury between that time and the present, we may remark that… Joseph Wrangham of Flotmanby was the first householder in the district who had carpets to his floors. The richer class had the floors waxed and the poorer used sand or rushes. Many were the visitors who called to see this innovation and numerous the remarks on the so called extravagance.’(29)29. From: ‘A Yorkshire Parson of the Olden Times’ by George Wrangham Hardy; The Yorkshire Genealogist, 1899.
Back one generation to 18.104.22.168.4.1.2. George Wrangham
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. The Venerable Francis Wrangham, M.A., F.R.S. Born June 11th 1769 at Raisthorpe, a farm-house in the parish of Wharram Percy.
‘He was educated privately until at the age of fifteen he went for two years to Hull Grammar School under the Rev. Joseph Milner, as had William Wilberforce some eighteen years before. Thereafter he had a brilliant career at Cambridge, gaining the highest honours in classics and mathematics, and the Chancellor's gold medal and Sir William Browne's gold medal(33)33. He attended Magdalene College (admitted October 16th 1785, aged 16) and then migrated to Trinity Hall on November 6th 1787; B.A., 1790; M.A., March 22nd 1793. He subsequently abandoned Trinity Hall and became a member of Trinity College.
. In 1793 he was ordained and two years later he became rector of Hunmanby in the East Riding: he retained this living until his death, his elder son acting as resident curate latterly.
‘In Yorkshire he was three times appointed Chaplain of Assize, and for twenty years he was examining chaplain to the Archbishop. He was made Archdeacon of Cleveland and later Archdeacon of the East Riding. In 1825 he became a Prebendary of Chester, and in due course rector of Dodleston. From then on he divided his year between his house in St. John's Place, Chester, and his vicarage at Hunmanby. In 1841 he retired to Chester, giving up the archdeaconry, in which he was succeeded by his son-in-law, the Rev. R.I. Wilberforce. He died at Chester on 27th
December, 1842, and his body was honoured by burial in the Lady Chapel of the Cathedral(34)34. He was curate of Cobham, Surrey, 1794-95; vicar of Hunmanby with Muston, 1795-1842; vicar of Folkton, 1795-1821; Fellow of the Royal Society, November 15th 1804; examining chaplain to Vernon Harcourt, Archbishop of York, 1814-34; Archdeacon of Cleveland, 1820-28; vicar of Thorpe Bassett, 1821-27; Prebendary of York, 1823; rector of Dodleston, Cheshire, and Prebendary of Chester, 1827-42; Archdeacon of the East Riding, 1828-40. His will was proved on June 20th 1843 at York.
‘As a village parson he was notably practical -the founder of a Cow Club, a Village Library and a Dispensary, and also the warm advocate of a Savings Bank. The records of his questionnaires, visitations and charges show how thoroughly he practised his duties as archdeacon, what importance he attached to wider education and how much trouble he devoted to the restoration and preservation of church buildings. His sermons, even if Sydney Smith found them sometimes "sesquipedalian", were deeply concerned with "making religion part of the lives of ordinary folk rather than a weekly dose of hortatory condescension". Once on visiting a neighbouring church to take the service and on being warned that a turkey was nesting in the pulpit, he forebore to preach, remarking that nobody would miss a sermon anyway. As he himself recognised, his loyalty to Whig principles and to the unpopular cause of Catholic Emancipation kept him "unmitred".
‘His printed works, not far short of 100 in number, principally covered religious, classical and historical subjects. They included numerous translations, Greek, Latin, Italian and French; and also much verse, English, French and Latin. Many were issued privately, and often a few copies were run off on coloured paper for the interest of subsequent bibliophiles. He contributed directly or indirectly to every guide-book to the Yorkshire coast in his time, he virtually founded the Northern Sea Bathing Infirmary at Scarborough -himself writing the prospectus- and no one did more to popularize that town in prose and verse. His literary friends included Scott, Wordsworth and Miss Mitford. He became a Fellow of the Royal Society and a member of the Bannatyne and Roxburghe Clubs.
‘Perhaps more lasting fame derives from his library, which he had built up to over 15,000 volumes by 1819. His tastes, reasonably catholic, centred on the odd, the obscure and the neglected. He added a wing to Hunmanby Vicarage to house shelves, sometimes doubly filled, in every room, where his friend, Sydney Smith, had rightly warned that they would creep over the walls like an erysipelas. In due course several thousand books were "colonized" at Chester. Shortly before his death he bestowed on Trinity College, Cambridge, about 1,000 volumes containing from 8 to 10,000 tracts. To meet the terms of his Will the library was sold by Sotheby & Co. in London during two sessions each of ten days, covering the two sections at Hunmanby and Chester respectively.
‘He was a devoted family man. His first wife, Agnes (Creyke)(35)35. Married by licence (Archbishop of York) on April 7th 1799. She was the fifth daughter of Colonel Ralph Creyke of Marton Hall (born July 6th 1745 and buried at Bridlington May 3rd 1826) and his wife Jane (died December 31st 1794), 5th daughter of Richard Langley, Esq., of Wykeham Abbey. She died on March 9th 1800, aged 21.
, died the year after their marriage in giving birth to another Agnes, who married the Rev. R.I. Wilberforce in 1832 and also died in giving birth to her younger son, two years later. By his second wife, Dorothy (Cayley)(36)36. Married by licence (Archbishop of York, dated July 2nd 1801) at Brompton, near Scarborough, in 1801. She was the 2nd daughter and co-heiress of the Reverend Digby Cayley (son of Sir George Cayley, 4th baronet of Brompton), and his wife Elizabeth Strangways alias Robinson. She died July 5th 1860.
, he had two sons and three daughters, subsequently Mrs. Edward Barnard, Mrs. Whitehall Dod and Mrs. Henry Raikes. Of his sons only the younger married, his wife being the daughter of the Archdeacon's close friend, Walter Fawkes of Farnley. Family and other letters record his fatherly affection: he dedicated to his children a special poem, "The Quadruped's Feast".
‘"National Portraits", published in his lifetime, wrote of him thus:- "In private life Mr. Wrangham is a gentleman of very polished manners, his address most courteous and persuasive, his person tall and commanding, his countenance eminently dignified, and, if we may (from its mild and benevolent expression) use the word, apostolical."(37)37. A miniature portrait of Archdeacon Wrangham is in the small combination room at Trinity College.
‘His neighbour and very warm friend, the Rev. Sydney Smith, loved to pull his leg:- "I am sorry to give you trouble, but to apologize to you for asking information is as it were to beg pardon of a cow for milking, or of the pump for taking water of it."
Issue from 1st marriage:
‘Half a century later his youngest daughter wrote to her own children:- "But none of you can remember his charming manners, the sweetness and tenderness of his smile, the elegance of his language, the suavity of his reproofs, so that the servants used to say they liked
being found fault with by master -he always seemed so to have trusted them and been fond of them".’(38)38. From an article by Cuthbert Edward Wrangham, dated May 1975. A fuller account appears in the Dictionary of National Biography. Further details are to be found in: ‘A Yorkshire Parson of Olden Times’ by George Wrangham Hardy (The Yorkshire Genealogist, 1899); ‘Archdeacon Francis Wrangham’ by Michael Sadleir (The Bibliographical Society, 1937); ‘Archdeacon Francis Wrangham, a Supplement‘, by the same author (The Library, vol. XIX, 1938-9); ‘Portrait of a Bibliophile, No. XX, Archdeacon Francis Wrangham’ by Alan Bell (The Book Collector, Winter 1976, pages 514-26); ‘Collectors and their Catalogues: Archdeacon Francis Wrangham, 1769-1842’ by Anthony Lister (August 1986). See also Burke's ‘Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland’, vol. Ⅱ, London, 1835, pages 311-313, and ‘Hunter's Families’, iii, 952 (The Harleian Society). For Archdeacon Wrangham's arms see note on Major Digby Francis Wrangham.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1. Agnes Frances Everilda Wrangham. Baptised February 1st 1800 at Hunmanby. Married at Bridlington June 16th 1832 the Venerable Robert Isaac Wilberforce, M.A.(39)39. See ‘Wilberforce of Markington’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 18th edition, vol. 3, page 950., (born 1802and died 1857; married 2ndly Jane Legard, daughter of Digby Legard, Esq. of Etton, Yorkshire), Archdeacon of the East Riding of York, Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford, second son of William Wilberforce, the philanthropist (born August 24th 1759, died 1833 and buried at Westminster Abbey), and his wife Barbara Spooner (eldest daughter of Isaac Spooner of Elmdon Hall, Co. Warwick, by Barbara, sister of the 1st Lord Calthorpe). Died November 16th 1834. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.1. The Reverend William Francis Wilberforce, M.A. Born June 27th 1833. Educated Oriel College, Oxford; B.A. 1856; M.A., University College, Oxford, 1858. Ordained deacon in 1857 and priest in 1859; curate of Dalton Holme, 1857-59; curate of St. Giles, Reading, 1859-62; vicar of Royston, Yorkshire, 1862-73; vicar of St. M. Oldham, 1873-76; vicar of St. John, Ousebridge (or Micklegate), York, 1876-82; vicar of Fulford, Yorkshire, 1882-89; vicar of Brodsworth, Yorkshire, 1889. Married October 20th 1870 Elizabeth Hope, daughter of Charles Hope Maclean(40)40. See ‘Maclean of Ardgour’, Burke's Landed Gentry 1894, vol. 2, page 1308. (died 1839), Barrister-at-Law, and his wife Caroline Elizabeth, 2nd daughter of C. Beckford Long. Died December 25th 1905. No issue.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.2. Edward Wilberforce. Barrister and Master of Supreme Court of Judicature. Born November 9th 1834. Educated Eton College and Trinity College, Oxford. Married May 3rd 1860 Fannie Flash, daughter of Alexander Flash, Esq., of New Orleans. Died January 7th 1914. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.2.1. Lionel Robert Wilberforce. Professor of Physics, Liverpool University; lecturer in Physics, Cambridge University. Born April 18th 1861 at Munich. Educated London International College, Isleworth, and Trinity College, Cambridge. Married August 13th 1891 Margaret Raynes, 2nd daughter of the Reverend W. Raynes. Died April 1st 1944. No issue.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.2.2. Sir Herbert William Wrangham Wilberforce. Barrister-at-Law, Inner Temple. Born February 8th 1864. Educated London International College, Isleworth, University College, London, and Downing College, Cambridge. Married November 5th 1892 Florence Monk, daughter of Charles James Monk, Liberal Unionist M.P. for Gloucester, and his wife Julia Ralli, daughter of P.S. Ralli, Consul-General of Greece. Died March 28th 1941. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Irene Florence Wilberforce. Died unmarried May 23rd 1987, aged 87, and buried at East Farleigh.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Judith Monica Wilberforce. Married July 26th 1939 the Reverend Canon John Fleming. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1. Monica Wilberforce Fleming. Married October 9th 1971 John Makra.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.2.3. Alexander Basil Edward Wilberforce. Born June 9th 1867. Married October 9th 1898 Matie Sargent. Died February 17th 1902. No issue.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.2.4. Evelyn Agnes Fannie Wilberforce. Married her second cousin Walter George Wrangham (nr. 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1.3.).
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. The Reverend George Walter Wrangham, M.A. Baptised March 30th 1804 at Hunmanby. Educated Ripon, Brasenose College (matriculated January 14th 1822), Oxford, and Magdalene College (admitted October 17th 1825, B.A. 1828, M.A. 1831), Cambridge. Ordained priest June 1st 1828; rector of Thorpe Bassett, 1828-55, and vicar of Ampleforth, 1829-55. Died unmarried October 24th 1855 and buried at Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire(41)41. His will being proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in 1855..
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3. Digby Cayley Wrangham, Q.C.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4. Philadelphia Frances Esther Wrangham. Baptised April 18th 1802 at Hunmanby. Married 1stly April 25th 1821 the Reverend Edward William Barnard, M.A.(42)42. See ‘Barnard of Cave Castle’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1937, page 103. (born March 16th 1791, died January 10th 1828)(43)43. Younger brother of Captain Charles Lewyns Barnard, 2nd Royal North British Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys), born January 19th 1790 and killed in action at the battle of Waterloo, June 18th 1815. There is a tablet in the church at South Cave with the following inscription: ‘This tablet is erected to the memory of Capt. Charles Lewyns Barnard of the 2nd R.N.B. Dragoons who died at Waterloo 18th June 1815, aged 25 years and was buried on the field of battle. He served a campaign in Germany & nearly the whole of the Spanish war in which he was severely wounded. At the battle of Waterloo he led into action the right squadron of his highly distinguished regiment & displayed before he fell talents and courage, that gained him the admiration of all his brother soldiers. Ye that respect the union of virtue, valour & ability pause, ere you pass this tablet and if you have sons or brothers pray that their lives may be as fair and their deaths as glorious as his.’, vicar of Cave, younger son of Henry Boldero Barnard (born 1755 and died February 6th 1815) of Cave Castle and his wife Sarah Elizabeth Gee(44)44. Eldest daughter and co-heir of Roger Gee, Esq., of Bishop Burton, by Caroline, daughter of Sir Warton Pennyman Warton, Bart.. Married 2ndly March 2nd 1848 the Reverend Charles Watkin Wynne Eyton, B.D., (died January 21st 1870), Rector of Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire, son of the Reverend Hope Eyton (born November 19th 1754) of Leeswood, vicar of Mod, and his wife Margaret Wynne, only daughter and heiress of Robert Wynne of The Tower, Flintshire. Died October 25th 1880. Issue from 1st marriage (no issue from 2nd marriage):
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.4.1. Charles Edward Gee Boldero Barnard of Cave Castle, Yorkshire. J.P. and Barrister-at-Law. Born March 23rd 1822 and Baptised March 24th at South Cave. Married June 5th 1862 Sophia Letitia Stewart (born August 12th 1830 and died September 28th 1910), fifth daughter of the Honourable Andrew Godfrey Stewart (second son of Andrew Thomas Stewart, 2nd Earl of Castlestewart, and his wife Sarah Lill) and his wife Sophia Isabella Conyngham, daughter of George Lennox Conyngham. Died at Cave Castle August 14th 1894. Issue, an only daughter:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.4.1.1. Ursula Mary Florence Boldero Barnard, Lady of the Manor of South Cave. Born July 4th 1869. Died unmarried at Bournemouth, Hampshire, June 24th 1938.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4.2. Rosamond Barnard. Baptised May 25th 1823 at South Cave. Died unmarried July 1st 1893.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.4.3. Caroline Barnard. Baptised May 26th 1824 at South Cave. Died unmarried November 21st 1892.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.4.4. Emily Barnard. Baptised September 8th 1826 at South Cave.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.5. Anne Caroline Wrangham. Baptised April 25th 1807 at Hunmanby. Married 1841 John Whitehall Dodd(45)45. Previously married (in 1822) to Elizabeth Allanson, who died in 1837 and was the daughter of the Reverend George Allanson of Broughton and Llanerch. By his first wife he had an only son, Whitehall Dodd (born 1823 and died 1878), of Llanerch, Denbighshire, a captain in the 6th Dragoons, who married in 1852 Emma Matilda, youngest daughter of Lieutenant General Sir Henry M. Vavasour, Bart., by Anne, daughter of William Vavasour, Esq., Ll.D. of Cloverly Hall, Whitchurch, Shropshire, a Magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for Shropshire, High Sheriff in 1829 and M.P. for North Shropshire 1848-59, eldest son of John Dodd of Cloverly Hall by his second wife Eleanor, daughter of John Goodyear of Crook Hill, Yorkshire. No issue.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6. Lucy Charlotte Wrangham. Baptised February 28th 1811 at Hunmanby. Married October 29th 1836 Henry Raikes(46)46. See: ‘Pedigree of Raikes’, compiled by Major Robin Duncan Raikes; Phillimore & Co., 1980. (born September 25th 1811 and died October 25th 1863) of Llwynegrin Hall, Barrister-at-Law, Middle Temple, High Sheriff of Flint (1851), Chairman of Quarter Sessions and Registrar of the Diocese of Chester, son of the Reverend Henry Raikes, M.A. (born September 24th 1782 and died November 28th 1854), Chancellor of the Diocese of Chester, and his wife Augusta Whittington (died October 24th 1820). Died November 17th 1889 at Hyères, France. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.1. Rt. Hon. Henry Cecil Raikes, M.P. Born at the Deanery, Chester, November 25th 1838. Educated Shrewsbury School and Trinity College, Cambridge, BA 1860, second in classics, president of the Cambridge Union; honorary LL.D. Cambridge University, 1888. Barrister, Middle Temple, 1863. Conservative M.P. for Chester 1868-1880, Preston 1882, and Cambridge University 1882-91; Chancellor of the Diocese of St. Asaph; Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons, March 1874 to April 1880; Privy Councillor, 1880; Post Master General in Lord Salisbury's government, 1886-91; Deputy-Lieutenant of Flint, 1864-1891. Married September 26th 1861 Charlotte Blanche Trevor-Roper (died December 18th 1922 in London, aged 96), 4th daughter of Charles Blayney Trevor-Roper of Plâs Têg, Flint. Died August 24th 1891 and buried at Saint Mary's, Mold, Flintshire. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.1.1. Henry St. John Digby Raikes, K.C., C.B.E., J.P. Born December 23rd 1863. Educated Charterhouse and Trinity College, Cambridge. Called to the Bar, Inner Temple, 1887. C.B.E. 1920; K.C. 1921; Recorder of King's Lynn 1905. Author of ‘Life & Letters of H.C. Raikes’, poems of H.C. Raikes and ‘Gleanings from Beaconsfield’. Married July 25th 1889 Annie Lucinda Mackinnon (died March 27th 1936), daughter of Major General Daniel Henry Mackinnon, 16th Lancers, and granddaughter of Thomas, 4th Baron Dimsdale(47)47. See Burke's Peerage, 1956, page 2403, under the section ‘Foreign Titles… borne by British subjects in accordance with the Warrant dated 27 April 1932, granted by His late Majesty King George V’, the title having been awarded to Thomas Dimsdale, M.D., by the Empress Catherine of Russia in gratitude for having innoculated her and the Grand Duke her son against the smallpox in 1762.. Died May 1st 1943. Issue, an only son:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Sir (Henry) Victor Alpin MacKinnon Raikes, K.B.E. Born January 19th 1901. Educated Westminster School, 1914-19, and Trinity College, Cambridge; B.A., 1922; barrister, Inner Temple, July 2nd 1924; M.P. for South East Essex 1931-45, Liverpool (Wavertree)1945-50, Garston 1950-57; K.B.E. 1953; Flt.Lt. R.A.F.V.R. 1940-42; Knight of the Sovereign M.H. Order of St John of Jerusalem 1970; chairman of the Monday Club 1976-79. Married 1940 Audrey Elizabeth Joyce Wilson(48)48. Educated Roedean School and Saint Hilda's College, Oxford University, 1939-40 (modern languages, no final exam)., daughter of Alan Plumpton Wilson of Repton, Derbyshire. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1. Antonia Spontana MacKinnon Raikes, B.A. Educated University of New York. Married December 20th 1969 her 6th cousin Charles Fitzgerald Raikes (born October 6th 1930), son of Arthur Fitzgerald Raikes, M.C. (born May 17th 1897 in Minneapolis, U.S.A., and died May 15th 1972), and his first wife Margaret Virginia Hawthorne (died 1952). Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.1. Jennifer Catherine MacKinnon Raikes. Born September 17th 1971.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.2. Victoria Samantha Raikes. Born September 1st 1973.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2. Henrietta Rowena Mackinnon Raikes. Born August 7th 1948. Educated at the French Lycee, London, and at Bocconi University, Milan.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.6.1.2. Francis Edward Raikes, C.V.O., M.V.O, O.B.E. Born June 7th 1870. Educated Haileybury. Held commission in the 3rd Battalion Cheshire Regiment, 1888-1891; private secretary to the Post Master General, 1890-1891; Queen's Foreign Service Messenger, 1892; Senior King's Foreign Service Messenger; resigned due to ill health 1921; received Coronation Medals of King Edward VII and King George V; C.V.O. 1922; M.V.O. 1917; O.B.E. 1918. Married January 3rd 1906 Iris Veronica Sopwith (born January 5th 1882 and died April 17th 1977), daughter of Thomas Sopwith, C.E. Died September 11th 1922. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Rosamond Violet Raikes. Born September 1st 1907.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.1.3. Vice Admiral Cecil Dacre Staveley Raikes, C.B.E. Born May 29th 1874. Educated Stubbington House, H.M.S. Britannia, R.N. Colleges. Vice Admiral, 1929; C.B.E., 1922; Admiralty Assesor to Court of Appeal and to Board of Trade. Married October 9th 1924 Katherine Georgina Josephine Weld-Forester, only daughter of Lieutenant Colonel the Hon. Francis Henry Cecil Weld-Forester(49)49. Son of Cecil Theodore Weld-Forester, 5th Baron Forester, and his wife Emma Georgina, daughter and co-heir of Sir Willoughby Wolstan Dixie, 8th Bt. of Decker Hill, Shifnel, Shropshire, and his wife Alexina Josephine Arbuthnott. Died February 15th 1947. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Francis Arthur Alexander Dacre Raikes. Born December 29th 1925. Educated Radley. Served R.N. 1943-46; sugar planter in British Guiana 1947-50; with Borneo Company in Thailand since1951; past president of the British Chamber of Commerce, Bangkok; Member of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand. Unmarried.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Cecilia Heather Raikes. Born July 1st 1927. Married 1stly March 26th 1949 (dissolved by divorce 1955) James Fleming, late The Black Watch, son of James Fleming, of Radwell, Warwick. Married 2ndly January 1956 John Power George, son of B. George, of Fountain Court, Buckingham Palace Park Road, S.W.1. Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1. Julian D.P. George. Born 1957.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2. David A.E. George. Born 1959.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.1.4. Thomas Algernon Raikes. Born August 22nd 1876. Educated Charterhouse and Trinity Hall, Cambridge. Joined the British South Africa Company and was active commissioner in Bulawayo and Umtali. Joined National Bank of Egypt 1906, manager at Khartoum. Commanded Dumbartonshire Volunteers in the Great War. Married August 30th 1906 Jean Edith Baird, daughter of John Baird, J.P., D.L., of Lochwood, Inverness. Died December 16th 1950. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Lt.Col. Thomas Hugh Cecil Raikes, O.B.E., M.C. Born April 13th 1908 in London. Educated Winchester College (scholar), 1920-27, and Trinity Hall, Cambridge. Commissioned in the London Rifle Brigade (T.A.) in 1939; transferred to R.E.; M.C., three times mentioned in despatches; Head of Joint Import/Export Agency, Control Commission for Germany; O.B.E. 1974. Married 1stly August 1937 Marie-Antoinette Eugenie Bourgeois, daughter of Professor Eugene Bourgeois of Cairo University. Married 2ndly Eva Daisy Bennion, daughter of Philip Henry Bennion of Stoke-on-Trent.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Major Douglas Charles Gordon Raikes, T.D. Born January 26th 1910 at Clifton. Educated Shrewsbury and Queen's College, Oxford; O.U. Cricket XI 1931. Joined I.C.I. Ltd in 1933; senior executive, Overseas dept. R.E. (T.A.), served 1939-45. Married 1stly at Chelsea Old Church April 12th 1945 Monica Goulden (who died September 30th 1966), daughter of Dr. Albert Edmund Goulden of Llandrindod Wells. Married 2ndly September 9th 1967 Pauline Grace Mason, daughter of Raymond Arthur Mason of Sevenoaks, Kent. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Richard Gordon Raikes. Born October 20th 1939 at Sevenoaks, Kent. Educated Shrewsbury. With Bank of London and South America.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Alan Graham Raikes. Born January 3rd 1942 at Sevenoaks, Kent. Educated Cranbrook School and University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Married September 6th 1968 Barbara Willis, daughter of George Willis of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Issue (adopted):
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.1. Russell Mark Raikes. Born December 2nd 1958 at Blind River, Ontario, Canada.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.2. Debra Jean Raikes. Born November 6th 1960 at Chatham, Ontario, Canada.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. Simon Goulden Raikes. Born September 15th 1944 at Sevenoaks. Educated Cranbrook School. Married December 12th 1970 at Deal, Kent, Christine Miriam Stemp, daughter of Robert Arthur Stemp.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.6.1.5. Alice Theodora Raikes. Born 1862. Married 1890 William Arthur Wilson Fox, C.B., Comptroller of the Commercial, Labour and Statistical Departments of the Board of Trade (born 1861 and died January 21st 1909), son of Dr. Wilson Fox, F.R.S., Physician in Ordinary to Queen Victoria. Died December 4th 1943 at 20 Glazbury Road, Kensington, London. Issue, an only daughter:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Dorothy Amabel Wilson Fox. Born September 5th 1891. Married at North Mimms, Hertfordshire, August 30th 1923 her fourth cousin once removed Colonel (later Major General Sir) Geoffrey Taunton Raikes, C.B., D.S.O. (born April 7th 1884 and died March 27th 1975), Lord Lieutenant of Breconshire (1948-59), son of Robert Taunton Raikes, M.A. (born April 15th 1843 and died August 24th 1919), and his second wife Rosa Margaret Cripps (born January 8th 1854 and died August 29th 1923). Died April 21st 1952 at Treberfydd, Breconshire. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Dorothea Margaret Raikes, J.P. (Breconshire). Born January 2nd 1925. Educated Overstone. Married 1stly September 11th 1948 her first cousin Major Robin Duncan Raikes(50)50. Compiler of the 1977 edition of ‘Pedigree of Raikes’. (born June 20th 1921 and died 1984), son of Lt.Col. Wilfrid Taunton Raikes, D.S.O., M.C. and bar (three times mentioned in despatches), and his wife Elizabeth Gentle Kennedy (born March 11th 1893 and died July 29th 1979). Married 2ndly in 1990 David Garnons Williams. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1. David Geoffrey Raikes, M.A. Born October 27th 1949 at Redhill. Educated Radley and St. Andrew's University. Economist with Bank of England 1973. Married May 10th 1975 at Clare, Suffolk, Anne Thicknesse, M.A. (Oxon.), daughter of the Reverend Ralph Thicknesse. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.1.1. Sarah Rhiannon Raikes. Born May 8th 1978.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1.2. Elinor Raikes.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.1.3. Huw Raikes.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.2. Susan Elizabeth Wilson Raikes, M.A. Born August 17th 1952 at Rinteln, Germany. Educated Abbey School, Malvern, Manchester University (B.A. Econ.) and Nottingham University (M.A. and C.Q.S.W.). Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, Wolfson College, Oxford, 1974-76.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.3. Gillian Rosalind Raikes. Born January 2nd 1958 at Brecon. Educated Abbey School, Malvern, and St. Andrew's University. Married Anthony Marriott. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.3.1. (Son).
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.3.2. (Son).
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Hilda Elined Raikes. Born March 1st 1926. Educated Overstone. Married September 8th 1951 Captain (later Lt. Col.) Francis de Riemer Morgan, M.C., The Buffs, son of Major General H. de Riemer Morgan, D.S.O., and his 1st wife Frances C. Anderson. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.1. (Son).
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.2. (Daughter).
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.3. (Daughter).
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. Alison Mary Raikes, M.A. Born March 2nd 1930. Educated St. Helen's, Northwood, and Somerville College, Oxford. Married April 23rd 1960 John de Riemer Morgan, son of Major General H. de Riemer Morgan, D.S.O., and his 1st wife Frances C. Anderson. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.1. (Son).
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.2. (Son).
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.1.6. Blanche Amabel Raikes. Married April 11th 1893 Major Sir John Charles Harford(51)51. See ‘Harford’, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage, 1970, pages 1253-1254, and ‘Harford of Blaise Castle and Falcondale’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1921, vol. Ⅰ, pages 845-846. (born July 28th 1860), 1st Bt. (created July 29th 1934), Lord of the Manor of Lampeter, of Blaise Castle, Gloucestershire, and Falcondale, Lampeter, D.L., J.P. Co. Cardigan and Co. Gloucester, High Sheriff Co. Cardigan 1885, son of John Battersby Harford, M.A. (Oxon.), J.P., of Falcondale, Co.Cardigan, and his wife Mary Charlotte Elizabeth Bunsen(52)52. Daughter of Christian Charles Josias, Baron de Bunsen, formerly Prussian Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary in London, by his wife Frances Waddington, daughter of Benjamin Waddington of Llanover, Monmouthshire.. Died 1904. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. John Henry Harford. Lieutenant, 1st Battalion South Wales Borderers. Born February 7th 1895. Killed in action October 26th 1916.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Sir (George) Arthur Harford, 2nd Bt., O.B.E. Born December 29th 1897. Educated Harrow School and Royal Military College, Sandhurst. Served 21st (E. of I.) Lancers 1917-23, 17/21st Lancers and General Staff 1940-45; J.P., D.L., Cardiganshire; High Sheriff 1938-39; D.P. Hampshire 1953. Married 1931 Anstice Marion Tritton (born July 17th 1909), younger daughter of Sir Alfred Tritton, 2nd Bt., and his wife Agnetta Elspeth Campbell. Died December 18th 1967. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1. Sir (John) Timothy Harford, 3rd Bt. Born July 6th 1932. Educated Harrow School, Worcester College, Oxford, and the Harvard Business School. Married 1962 Carolyn Jane Mullens, daughter of Brigadier Guy John de Wette Mullens, O.B.E. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1. Clare Elizabeth Harford. Born March 24th 1963. Married 1989 Nicholas Clatworthy, younger son of Peter Clatworthy, of Bayswater.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.2. Mark John Harford. Born August 6th 1964.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.3. Simon Guy Harford. Born September 24th 1966.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. Robina Elspeth Harford. Born 1934. Married 1956 Jeremy Christopher Glyn (born October 1st 1930 and died 1984), only son of the late Sir Francis Maurice Grosvenor Glyn(53)53. Son of Maurice George Carr Glyn, High Sheriff of Hertfordshire, and his wife the Hon. Maud Grosvenor, eldest daughter of the 2nd Baron Ebury; grandson of Pascoe Charles Glyn, M.P. for the Eastern Division of Dorset, and his 2nd wife Carolina Henrietta Hale, daughter of Captain William Amherst Hale, 52nd Regiment; greatgrandson of George Carr Glyn, 1st Baron Wolverton, and his wife Marianne, daughter of Pascoe Grenfell, M.P., K.C.M.G., and his wife Jane Perkins. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.1. Lucinda Mary Glyn. Born June 3rd 1958.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3. Piers Scandrett Harford. Born 1937. Educated Eton and Worcester College, Oxford. Married 1stly 1961 (dissolved 1972) Hyacinthe Cecilia Hoare, daughter of Lt.Col. Nigel Walter Hoare(54)54. See ‘Hoare of Stourton’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965., O.B.E., T.D., R.E. Married 2ndly Patricia Jane Burnett, daughter of Air Commodore Patrick Burnett. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1. Henry Scandrett Harford. Born 1963.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.2. Charlotte Anstice Harford. Born 1965.
Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.3. William Patrick Harford. Born 1976.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. William Harford. Born June 29th 1899 and died the following July 4th.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Mary Amabel Harford. Married as his first wife June 20th 1916 (dissolved by divorce 1944) Charles Loraine Hill(55)55. See ‘Hill of Brynderi’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 18th edition, pages 380-381. (born February 18th 1891; married 2ndly March 4th 1944 Mrs Hélène Charlotte de Berquely Kirwan-Taylor, daughter of Grant Richards and former wife of Lt.Col. William John Kirwan-Taylor(56)56. See ‘Grantchester, B.’, Burke's Peerage., the marriage having been dissolved by divorce in 1941; died December 14th 1976), J.P. Somerset (1923), Sheriff of Bristol (1939), Chairman Bristol City Line of Steamships, eldest son of Charles Gathorne Hill (born June 7th 1857 and died December 11th 1934), M.A., J.P Gloucestershire (1900) and Somerset (1902), Major North Somerset Yeomanry, and his wife Gertrude Isabella Mortimer(57)57. See ‘Mortimer of Plas Newydd’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952. (died December 19th 1949). Died at Burdocks, Fairford, Gloucestershire, January 21st 1966, aged 71. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1. Audrey V. Hill?
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2. John Charles Gathorne Hill of Highfield House, Chew Magna, Somerset. Born June 15th 1917. Married March 25th 1950 Pamela Joan Skuce.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3. Diana Joscelyn Hill. Born September 5th 1919. Married March 20th 1948 Robin Ernest Donald Campbell, son of the Venerable Donald Fitzherbert Campbell, Archdeacon of Carlyle. Died May 20th 1957. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1. (Son).
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.2. (Daughter).
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.3. (Daughter).
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4. Richard Hill of Harptree Court, East Harptree, Somerset. Shipbuilder; J.P. Somerset, High Sheriff 1964. Born July 23rd 1921. Educated Eton College. Married April 17th 1948 Jean Mary Vernon Wills, only daughter of Sir George Vernon Proctor Wills (born March 21st 1887 and died February 1st 1931), 2nd Baronet of Langford Court, Blagdon, Somerset, and his wife Nellie Jeanie Rutherford (died January 28th 1961). Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.4.1. Angela Mary Hill. Born February 2nd 1949.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4.2. Caryll Loraine Hill. Born April 4th 1951.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.4.3. Charles Peter Loraine Hill. Born March 30th 1954. Educated Millfield.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4.4. Sarah Loraine Hill. Born April 13th 1957.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.5. Sonia Favell Hill. Born September 15th 1923. Married September 8th 1945 Charles Thomas Keyser. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.5.1. Charles P. Keyser. Born 1946.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.5.2. James E. Keyser. Born 1948.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.6. Pamela Hill, J.P. (1959). Born September 13th 1929. Married as his 2nd wife (his first marriage having been dissolved by divorce in 1954) May 1st 1954 Henry Hobhouse (born December 26th 1924) eldest son of Sir Arthur Lawrence Hobhouse(58)58. See ‘Mortimer of Plas Newydd’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952. of Hadspen House, Castle Cary, Somerset, J.P (1921), M.P. for Somerset (Wells Div., 1923-24), and his wife Konradin Huth Jackson(59)59. Eldest daughter of the Rt.Hon. Frederick Huth Jackson, P.C. (see Mather-Jackson, Bt., Burke's Peerage).. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.1. Henry Hobhouse. Born March 29th 1955.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.6.2. William Hobhouse. BornMarch 29th 1956.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.3. Edward Hobhouse. Born May 1st 1960.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.6.4. Robert Hobhouse. Born September 29th 1962.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.6.1.7. Arthur Whittington Raikes. Born November 27th 1877. Educated Westminster. London Stock Exchange; research chemist; poultry farmer. Married July 27th 1908 Gladys Sarah White, daughter of Frederick Anthony White of 170 Queen's Gate, London. Died at Highclere, Hampshire, February 15th 1921. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Richard Anthony Raikes. Born August 15th 1909 at Welwyn. Educated Winchester and Magdalene College, Cambridge. Engineer. Lieutenant, 60th Rifles. Missing, presumed killed in action at Calais, May 1940. Married April 11th 1935 at the Holy Trinity, Sloane Street, Lisel Lasch of Cologne (who married 2ndly November 19th 1946 Roger Seager Berry of Derbyshire). Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Adrian Richard Raikes. Born June 24th 1938 in London. Educated Michaelhouse, Natal. With Witwatersrand Native Labour Association in Malawi; later farming in Rhodesia and Swaziland. Chairman Swaziland Natural Resources Board. Married May 23rd 1964 at Barnes Camilla Shelbourne Taylor of Barnes. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1. Nicola Louise Raikes. Born November 12th 1966 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.2. Emma Elizabeth Raikes. Born August 30th 1968 in Swaziland.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Philippa Raikes. Born April 6th 1940 at Tonbridge. Educated St. Andrew's School, Johannesburg, South Africa. Married 1977 Geoffrey Apfill Brown.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Julian Henry Raikes. Born January 10th 1911 at Welwyn. Educated Stowe and Magdalene College, Cambridge. Married 1stly December 12th 1933 Mary Sylvia Serocold. Married 2ndly June 6th 1969 Anne Longman. Died November 1st 1978. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1. Anthony Francis Raikes. Educated Eton College and Brasenose College, Oxford. Married May 9th 1964 at Farleigh Hungerford, Bath, Scilla Rosalind Poole, daughter of Captain R.G. Poole, R.N. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.1. Simon Anthony Raikes. Born March 28th 1965.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.2. Vanessa Rosalind Raikes. Born February 11th 1972.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2. Edward Robert Raikes. Born July 18th 1938. Educated Eton and Magdalene College, Oxford. Married September 25th 1965 at Knebworth Jennifer Margaret Tufton, daughter of G.W.A. Tufton of Knebworth. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.1. Jason Alexander Raikes. Born November 9th 1966.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.2. Benedick Arthur Raikes. Born January 13th 1969.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.3. Stella Mary Evelyn Raikes. Born April 5th 1972.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.1.8. Edith Gertrude Raikes. Married June 10th 1890 Ernest Lowthorpe Lutwidge(60)60. Succeeded his cousin Charles Robert Fletcher Lutwidge in 1907 and assumed by Royal Licence dated January 4th 1909 the additional surname and arms of Lutwidge. See ‘Lowthorpe-Lutwidge of Holm Rook Hall’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1921, pages 1144-1145. (born 1865 and died September 20th 1929) of Holm Rook Hall, Whitehaven, Cumberland, J.P. and D.L., Lord of the Manor of Bolton, Major and Honorary Lieutenant Colonel 3rd Battalion the York and Lancaster Regiment, son of James William Frederick Lowthorpe and Elizabeth Lucy Raikes(61)61. Who was the daughter of Thomas Raikes (born September 6th 1790 and died August 21st 1866) of Welton House, Yorkshire, and his 2nd wife Elizabeth Frances Lutwidge (died March 29th 1833), daughter of Major Charles Lutwidge of Holm Rook Hall, 1st Regiment Royal Lancashire Militia, and his wife Elizabeth Ann Dodgson.. Died July 15th 1949, aged 83. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Ernest Cecil Fletcher Lowthorpe Lutwidge. Lieutenant, 3rd Battalion The Border Regiment, W.W.I. Born September 20th 1895. Educated Harrow School, 1911-14. Died (unmarried?) September 15th 1971.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Hubert Frederick Skeffington Lowthorpe Lutwidge. Born December 6th 1898. Married Joan Sybil -. Died November 1st 1970. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Philippa Jill Lowthorpe Lutwidge. Married - Willder.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Edith Selma Elizabeth Lowthorpe Lutwidge. Married 1stly - Faithfull? Married 2ndly Olwen Holmes Gettins. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Arthur Wyndham Faithfull.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Lucy Marjorie Lowthorpe Lutwidge. Married 1stly May 26th 1920 Reginald H. Spooner, son of the Venerable Archdeacon of Liverpool, of Walton Rectory. Married 2ndly - Legard. Issue from 1stmarriage:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. John M. Spooner. Born 1921.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Edward H. Spooner. Born 1923.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.1.9. Lucy Violet Raikes. Married October 29th 1915 Charles John Geast Dugdale(62)62. See ‘Dugdale of Merevale, Bt.’, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage 1970, pages 849-850. Descended from Sir William Dugdale (born September 12th 1605 and died February 10th 1685/6), Garter King of Arms, and his son Sir John Dugdale (born 1628 and died 1700), Norroy King of Arms. (born September 24th 1887 and died June 16th 1944) of Merevale Hall, Warwick, son of Colonel Henry Charles Geast Dugdale, Rifle Brigade, and his wife Edith Cecilia Montgomery, of Grey Abbey, Co. Down. Died April 22nd 1935, aged 62. No issue.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.2. Agnes Augusta Raikes. Married her 1st cousin the Reverend Digby Strangeways Wrangham (nr. 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.2.).
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.3. His Honour Judge Francis William Raikes, LL.D., K.C. Born February 2nd 1842 in Chester. Educated Shrewsbury, the Royal Academy, Gosport, and Peterhouse, Cambridge; M.A. 1874; LL.M. 1876; LL.D. 1882. Spent three years in Merchant Service at sea, then passed to the Royal Navy. Called to the Bar, Inner Temple, 1873. Author of various works on maritime law. Married 1878 Diana Mary Howard Barber (died 1932, aged 76), daughter of H. Howard Barber, 17th Lancers. Died September 28th 1906 at Leat House, Malton, Yorkshire, and buried at Wharram Percy. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.3.1. Francis Howard Raikes. Born July 4th 1879. Lieutenant, King's Royal Rifle Corps. Served in the South African War, 1900; in command of a half company of the King's Royal Rifle Corps at Ladysmith, where in the early morning of January 6th 1900 ‘he had posted his men in two rifle pits which had been constructed on the Nek between Wagon Hill and Caesar's Camp. At the commencement of the Boer attack he was on the ground between, so that he might better direct the fire of his men. As the enemy continued to approach closer Lieut. Raikes, thinking it would come to hand-to-hand fighting, called out to Serg. Davies in one of the rifle pits asking if there was room for him. Sergt. Davies replied: "Yes; but take care of the heavy fire." Lieut. Raikes replied: "Look out, I am coming", and then ran to the rifle pit but fell dead just as he reached it, shot through the heart. Some reinforcements now arrived, but this young officer and his handful of riflemen had held the enemy in check till 8 a.m. When he fell he was probably the youngest lieut. in the Army.’ He was buried half way up the Nek between Wagon Hill and Caesar's Camp in a grave with four other officers: Lieutenant N.M. Tod, Major D. Mackworth, Major Robert Scarlett Bowen and 2nd Lieutenant W.H.T. Hill. A marble cross and pedestal were erected on the site, with the following inscription: "In token of affection and regard by their brother officers." ‘To this memorial five separate crosses have been added by relatives, and a kerb encloses the whole.’ ‘The East window of St. Peter's Parish Church, Norton, is dedicated to his memory and that of other comrades who fell Jan. 6th. A bronze memorial tablet has also been erected… in Mold Parish Church, and a brass tablet in the School of Handicrafts at Chertsey, in which Institution he took the greatest interest.’(63)63. The "Last Post": Being a Roll of all Officers (Naval, Military or Colonial) who gave their Lives for their Queen, King and Country, in the South African War, 1899-1902. By Mildred G. Dooner. Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co., Ltd.; London.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.4. Charlotte Annie Raikes. Born October 27th 1837. Married October 31st 1864 Thomas Jones (born 1829) of Llanerchrugog Hall and Eglwyseg Manor House, Co. Denbigh, F.R.S.L., J.P., D.L. and Barrister-at-Law, son of Thomas Jones of Llanerchrugog Hall and Old Marton Hall, Shropshire, and his wife Frances Esther Morrall, daughter of Charles Morrall(64)64. See ‘Morrall, of Plas Yolin’, John Burke, ‘Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland’, vol. Ⅱ, London, 1835, pages 595-596. of Kilhendre Park and Plâs Iolyn, Shropshire. Died July 15th 1868. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.4.1. William Henry Trevor Edwards Jones. Born October 2nd 1865. Died March 22nd 1870.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.5. Colonel George Whittington Raikes, King's Royal Rifle Corps. Born June 8th 1846. Married May 25th 1871 Alice Marianne Ewart (born June 15th 1851 and died at Leamington in 1922), daughter of Peter Ewart of Hoole Bank, Cheshire. Died May 29th 1925 in Leamington. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.5.1. Hugh Percival Raikes. Born August 30th 1874 in Sussex. Educated Winchester. M.I.C.E. Married February 4th 1913 Roshilda Allnutt Knox (died May 12th 1979 at Ringwood, Hampshire), daughter of Major V. Knox of Springfield, Moreton-on-Marsh, Gloucestershire. Died June 1st 1933. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Clementia Alys Raikes. Born May 2nd 1914. Died unmarried August 15th 1994.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Captain Peter Patrick Raikes, M.C. Born December 17th 1915. Educated Winchester. Articled civil engineer 1933. A.M.I.C.E. 2nd Lieutenant, R.E. (T.A.); granted regular commission; served Dunkirk campaign, M.C.; captain; captured at St. Valery-en-Caux, escaped three times, finally reaching Spain on foot, later arrived at Gibraltar, where he was killed in an air raid on September 24th 1940.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.5.2. Mabel Aimee Raikes. Born December 11th 1875 in Sussex. V.A.D. 1914-19; mentioned in despatches. Died unmarried October 8th 1954 at Leamington Spa.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.5.3. Elsie Winifred Raikes. Born March 17th 1877 in Sussex. With Winchester College Mission 1909-14, 1920-25; Sister T.F.N.S., 1914-19. Died unmarried February 28th 1957 at Leamington Spa.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.5.4. Major General George Leonard Raikes, C.B., D.S.C. Born November 18th 1878. Educated Stratford-on-Avon and Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. Royal Marine Artillery, 1896; served with Naval Brigade, South African War, being present in operations in the Orange Free State, including operations at Paardeberg and seeing action at Dreifontein; awarded the Queen's Medal with three clasps; in France and Belgium, 1914-18; D.S.C., mentioned in despatches (London Gazette January 1st 1916); Commandant, Plymouth division, Royal Marines; C.B. 1926. Married 1936 Christine Cycill Collier, daughter of C.B. Collier of South Brent. Died October 11th 1949. No issue.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.5.5. Gladys Diana Raikes. Born January 9th 1880. Missionary in South Africa. Died unmarried January 7th 1952 at Leamington Spa.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.5.6. Gwendoline Ethel Raikes. Born November 5th 1881. Died unmarried January 21st 1962 at Leamington Spa.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.6. Charles Edward Raikes. Born April 25th 1848. Died May 26th 1864.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.7. Lucy Dorothea Raikes. Born 1849. Died unmarried July 15th 1922 at Bath, aged 73.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.8. Caroline Louisa Raikes. Born 1851. Married 1stly September 4th 1875 Captain Robert Beaumont Pipon, R.N., of Noirmont, Jersey, (died July 29th 1881 on board H.M.S. Ranger in the Persian Gulf). Married 2ndly in 1899 George Henry Drew (died October 14th 1906, aged 89) of Midhurst. Died July 27th 1913. Issue from 1st marriage, an only son:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.8.1. Lt.Col. Robert Henry Pipon, D.S.O., M.C., Royal Fusiliers. Born January 17th 1882. Served East Africa (Somaliland), 1908-10, medal with clasp; employed with the King's African Rifles, May 30th 1907 to June 19th 1910; served W.W.I., 1914-18, mentioned in despatches (London Gazette June 22nd 1915, December 18th 1917 and December 27th 1918), D.S.O., clasp to D.S.O., M.C. Died (unmarried?) July 20th 1964 at Veytaux, Vaud, Switzerland.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.9. Emily Marion Raikes. Married April 11th or 17th 1872 Lt.Col. Philip Charles Yorke (born April 13th 1844 and died January 27th 1895), 1st Battalion King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, elder son of the Reverend Charles Isaac Yorke(65)65. Son of the Rev. Philip Yorke, Prebendary of Ely, and his wife Anna Maria Cocks, daughter of the 1st Baron Summers; grandson of the Rt.Rev. James Yorke, D.D., Bishop of Ely, and his wife Mary Maddocks, daughter of the Rt.Rev. Isaac Maddocks, Bishop of Worcester; greatgrandson of Philip Yorke, 1st Earl of Hardwicke, Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain, and his wife Margaret Cocks, daughter of C. Cocks, M.P. for the City of Worcester., Rector of Shenfield, Essex, and his wife Ellen Leigh. Died April 28th 1936, aged 83. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.9.1. Major Henry Reginald Yorke, M.C. Born May 29th 1874. Educated Harrow School, 1888-91. In South America, 1892-98. Served in South Africa, 1899-1902, with the Imperial Yeomanry; served W.W.I, joined Warwick Yeomanry, 1914; in Egypt, 1915; torpedoed in H.M.T. Wayfarer; at Gallipoli, 1915; wounded; in France, 1917; 2nd in command Traffic Control Squadron, 1918; M.C., 1918; twice mentioned in despatches. Married October 28th 1903 Beatrix Victoire (died October 8th 1960, aged 78), younger daughter of Captain George Staunton Lynch-Staunton(66)66. See ‘Lynch-Staunton of Clydagh’, Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland, 1912, page 658., 14th Hussars, of Purbrook House, Hampshire. Died as the result of an accident March 15th 1944. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Philip Yorke. Farmer; served as crew member on tramp steamers; farmed in Argentina and New Zealand; farm and estate manager 1933-45. Born December 31st 1905. Educated Harrow School, 1919-21, Westminster School, 1921-22, and the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. Married April 30th 1945 Elsie May Heasman, youngest daughter of E. Heasman, of Brighton.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Commander Charles Anthony Yorke, R.N. Born July 17th 1910. Served in W.W.II 1939-45. Killed in a motor-cycle accident, June 27th 1949.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Group Captain David Christopher Yorke, D.S.O., R.A.F.O. Born September 5th 1913. Served in W.W.II 1939-45 (mentioned in despatches); D.S.O. 1940.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.6.9.2. Brigadier Philip Gerard Yorke, D.S.O., J.P. (Somerset). Born January 9th 1882. Educated Wellington College, 1895-99, and Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. Represented England show jumping in Spain and America. Served in W.W.I; B.E.F., France and Belgium; B.M.R.A., Macedonia, B.M.R.A., 1918; mentioned in despatches; D.S.O., 1919; Brigadier, Royal Horse Artillery; Commander Royal Artillery 49th (West Riding) Division 1934-35; Brigadier Royal Artillery Southern Command, India 1935-39; served in W.W.II 1939-41; Mérito Militar (Spain), 1909; J.P. Somerset. Married Beryl Emilia Phillpotts, 4th daughter of Brigadier General Arthur Henry Croker Phillpotts, R.H.A. Died January 28th 1968. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Lt.Col. Arthur Philip Denys Yorke, M.C., R.A. Born March 16th 1915. Educated Wellington College, 1928-33, and Royal Military Academy, 1933. Served W.W.II; B.E.F., 1939-40; M.E.L.F., 1942-43; B.L.A., 1944-45; M.C., 1945; Lieutenant Colonel, Royal Artillery. Married January 19th 1957 Mary Elizabeth Glasbrook, elder daughter of John Henry Lionel Glasbrook, of Childe Okeford Manor, Blandford, Dorset. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Michael Philip Yorke. Born February 15th 1959.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Nicholas Simon Yorke. Born November 25th 1961.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3. Delia Mary Yorke. Born February 2nd 1964.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Amabel Marion Yorke. Born 1924. Married September 14th 1963 Brigadier Robert Michael Carr, M.B.E., D.F.C., R.A., eldest son of D.L. Carr. Issue (adopted):
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Peter Robert Carr. Born May 27th 1965.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Philippa Amabel Carr. Born 1966.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.10. Arthur Stewart Raikes, M.A. Born June 16th 1856. Educated Winchester and Trinity College, Cambridge; B.A. 1878, M.A. 1882. Entered Diplomatic Service, attaché at Athens 1880, Third Secretary at Copenhagen 1882, Second Secretary at Buenos Aires 1885, Berlin 1887, Rome 1892, First Secretary at Rio de Janeiro 1896, Brussels 1898, Washington 1901-1904, and His Britannic Majesty's Minister at Santiago, 1904; retired 1907. Died unmarried March 22nd 1925.
Back one generation to 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. The Venerable Francis Wrangham
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. Digby Cayley Wrangham, Q.C. Baptised June 16th 1805 at Hunmanby. Educated at Ripon and Brasenose College, Oxford; double first in classics and maths, B.A., 1826; M.A., 1829; private secretary to Lord Aberdeen at the Foreign Office, 1827-31; Barrister-at-Law, called to the Bar from Gray's Inn, 1831; Conservative M.P. for Sudbury, 1831-32; created one of H.M.'s Serjeants-at-Law, 1847. Married by licence (Archbishop of York) at Otley December 8th 1828 Amelia Fawkes (born 1799 and died 1839), second daughter of Walter Ramsden Hanksworth Fawkes, M.P., of Farnley Hall, (died 1825) and his wife Maria Grimston(67)67. 15th in descent from King Edward III, father of Edmund Plantagenet of Langley, father of Richard Plantagenet, Earl of Cambridge, father of Richard Plantagenet, III Duke of York, father of Ann Plantagenet, mother of Anna St. Leger, mother of Catherine Manners, mother of Barbara Constable, mother of Margaret Babthorpe, mother of Annabella Cholmoley, mother of Anthonina Wickham, mother of Anthonina Jenkins, mother of Elizabeth Sotheby, mother of Elizabeth Willoughby, mother of Elizabeth Garforth, who was mother of Maria Grimston. (who died December 10th 1813). Died March 10th 1863(68)68. The Times, March 13th and 16th 1863, and Gentleman's Magazine, 1863, i, 532. . Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1. Walter Francis Wrangham.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.2. The Reverend Digby Strangeways Wrangham. Justice of the Peace for the East Riding of York; Vicar of Darrington 1875-91, Vicar of South Cave 1859-75, Curate of Middleton on the Wolds; Curate of Sopworth, Wiltshire, and Badminton, Gloucestershire 1854-59. Born in London. Educated Charterhouse and Saint John's College, Oxford, B.A. 1854, M.A. 1859. Author of ‘Modern Methodism’ and ‘Lyra Regis’ and editor and translator of Adam of Saint Victor. Born June 16th 1831. Married April 14th 1868 his first cousin Agnes Augusta Raikes (nr. 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.2.; born at Chester; died July 23rd 1885, aged 45). Died January 11th 1892 in Darrington, aged 60. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.2.1. Lucy Charlotte Wrangham. Born at Chester c. 1870.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.2.2. Canon Francis Wrangham, M.A. Born June 6th 1871 and baptised July 9th at South Cave. Educated Shrewsbury School, Selwyn College (admitted October 1st 1890, B.A. 1893, M.A. 1897) and Clergy Training School, Cambridge. Ordained deacon 1895 and priest 1896; Curate of Darrington, Yorkshire, 1895-1901; Rector of Long Newnton, Wiltshire, 1901-17; Proctor in Convocation 1919-22 and 1924; Rector of Hardenhuish 1917-20; Rural Dean of Chippenham; Vicar of Highworth with Sevenhampton 1920-26; Rural Dean of Cricklade 1920; Rector of Burton Agnes with Harpham 1926-41; Hon. Canon of Bristol Cathedral 1918-36; Canon Emeritus from 1936. Died January 14th 1941.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.2.3. Anne Caroline Wrangham. Baptised October 28th 1872 at South Cave. Died unmarried November 8th 1946.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.3. Emily Augusta Wrangham. Married at Saint Margaret's, Westminster, March 2nd 1859 Henry Calley, Major 19th Regiment, D.L., J.P., Captain Wiltshire Yeomanry, High Sheriff for Wiltshire (born May 22nd 1818 and died May 3rd 1881; married 1stly April 12th 1855 Frances Elizabeth Bowyer, who died the following February 7th, daughter of Charles Bowyer(69)69. By whom he had an only son, Thomas Charles Pleydell Calley, C.B., C.B.E., M.V.O., of Burderop Park, Wiltshire, Lord of the Manor and Patron of the living of Chiseldon, D.L., J.P., Lieutenant Colonel and Brevet Colonel 1900, Major General 1917, commanded 1st Life Guards 1902-06, formerly Captain Royal Wiltshire Yeomany, Colonel commanding London Mounted Brigade, T.F. 1908-12, Temporary Brigadier General commanding 60th (London) Division 1914-15, honorary Colonel Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry 1927, M.P. for Cricklade Division of Wiltshire, January-November 1910, born January 28th 1856 and died February 14th 1932, having had issue, an only daughter, Joan Marion Calley. The family of Calley is descended from ‘William Cawley or Calley, esq. of Burderop, b. in 1600, who was living at the visitation of 1623. This gentleman, a violent opponent of the royal cause during the civil war, acted a prominent part among the leaders of the parliamentary party, and his signature appears attached to the death warrant of the ill-fated Charles Ⅰ. He married Anne, daughter and co-heir of William Bower, esq. of West Lavington, by whom he acquired a considerable estate at Lavington, and dying in 1660, was s. by his eldest son, Sir William Calley, knt. of Burderop, who obtained from the restored monarch restitution of the lands forfeited by his father, received the honour of knighthood, and had a grant of a full pardon, which document is still possessed by the family at Burderop. Sir William d. without issue, and was s. by his brother, Oliver Calley, esq. of Burderop’ (A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, by John Burke, volume IV, London, 1838). See also ‘Calley of Burderop’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952, pages 344-45. of Farleigh House, Hampshire) of Burderop Park, Swindon, son of John James Calley, Esq., of Blunsdon Saint Andrew, Wiltshire, and Elizabeth Tunstall Wyld, eldest daughter and co-heiress of the Reverend James Wyld, Rector of Blunsdon Saint Andrew. Died October 28th 1904. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.3.1. Captain John Digby Calley, 16th Lancers. Born August 14th 1860. Died unmarried February 16th 1894 at Lucknow, India.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.3.2. Captain Henry Calley, R.H.A. Born October 23rd 1861. Died unmarried November 24th 1898 at Meerut, India.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.3.3. Amelia Calley. Died unmarried May 4th 1942, aged 77.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.3.4. Edith Mary Calley. Married October 21st 1902 the Reverend William Lawrence Waugh (died May 20th 1933), vicar of Chisledon, Wiltshire. Died June 11th 1941, aged 72. No issue.
Back one generation to 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. Digby Cayley Wrangham
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1. Walter Francis Wrangham of Hotham House, near Brough, Yorkshire. Barrister-at-law; lieutenant Gloucester Hussars. Born in the parish of Saint George Hanover Square, Middlesex, September 15th 1828. Educated Eton College and Exeter College, Oxford. Married 1868 Fanny Wilmot (born at Chaddesdon, Derbyshire, March 3rd 1840; died July 15th 1929 and buried at Hotham), only daughter of John Wilmot(70)70. Son of Sir Robert Wilmot, 3rd Bt., and his wife Lucy Grimston, eldest daughter of Robert Grimston of Neswick. of Neswick Hall, Yorkshire. Died December 12th 1893 and buried at Hotham. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1.1. Major Digby Francis Wrangham, 3rd Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment. Justice of the Peace for the East Riding of York. Born at Bainton April 27th 1869. Educated Ripon and the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, May 22nd 1888 to April 16th 1890 (Football XV, Autumn 1888, 1889, and Spring 1890). Served in the South African War, 1902; took part in the operations in the Orange River Colony and in Cape Colony, April to May 31st 1902; awarded the Queen's Medal with three clasps. Granted the following arms on April 22nd 1904: Or, two garbs in pale Gules, on a chief arched Azure, as many bezants; crest, over a demi-terrestrial globe issuing from clouds a dove volant holding in the beak a branch of olive all Proper; the arms to be borne by Digby Francis Wrangham, his descendants, and by the other issue of his father, and also by the descendants of his uncle Digby Strangeways Wrangham (College of Arms, Grants 74-171)(71)71. According to Burke's ‘Genealogical History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland’ the Arms borne by Archdeacon Wrangham (nr. 184.108.40.206.1.2.1.) were as follows, although the College of Arms holds no record of their registration: ‘Arg. three garbs, two and one, ppr. on a chief azure, as many bezants, bearing STRANGWAYS on an escutcheon of pretence;’ crest: ‘a dove volant, bearing in the beak an olive branch, all ppr.’; motto: ‘Hyeme exsuperatâ.’. Married 1stly April 18th 1898 Anna Maria Brooksbank (died February 17th 1925, aged 54), daughter of Colonel Arthur Brooksbank(72)72. See ‘Brooksbank of Healaugh’, Burke's Landed Gentry, 1914, pages 247-248. (died December 21st 1903) of Middleton Hall, Beverley, and his wife Anna Maria Lonsdale (died February 4th 1899), daughter of the Reverend Henry Gylby Lonsdale, Rector of Bolton, and niece of the Bishop of Lichfield. Married 2ndly 1926 Fanny Peppercorn (died January 19th 1946). Died at Neswick Hall, Bainton, December 27th 1945. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. John Digby Wrangham of Neswick Hall, Bainton, near Driffield, Yorkshire. Lieutenant, 20th Hussars. Born January 1900. Educated Rugby and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. Married 1940 Emma Louise Koenig (died August 6th 1987). Died September 30th 1953.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Hugh Heywood Wrangham of Pretoria, South Africa. Born 1902. Married in South Africa 1928 Joyce Klein, daughter of F. Klein.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Stephen Darcy Wrangham. Born 1906. Educated Tonbridge School and Clare College, Cambridge; B.A., 1928. Gazetted to the East Yorkshire Regiment 1940; relinquished commission due to ill-health 1940. Married 1940 Evelyn Faith Marion Doubble (who married 2ndly Bryan W. Downs). Died at Somersham, Huntingdonshire, May 14th 1942. No issue.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1.2. Fanny Margaret Wrangham. Born at Hotham April 30th 1870. Died unmarried February 21st 1935.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.1.3. Walter George Wrangham.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1.4. Wilmot John Wrangham. Born at Hotham September 1st 1874. Moved to Langbank, Saskatchewan, Canada 1908. Married 1923 Ivy Rose Snelling of Yarmouth, England (daughter of Richard and Rose Snelling) born August 14 1898, died 1946. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Peter Wilmot Wrangham. Born January 29th 1924 in Langbank, Saskatchewan. Served in WWII 1943-1946. Married February 22nd 1947 Alice Christina McQueen (daughter of Alexander and Martha McQueen) of Regina, Saskatchewan born June 12th 1925. He wears a ring with the family arms, a dove carrying an olive branch in its beak, as granted to Major Digby Francis Wrangham (220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.1.1.). Only two of these rings were ever made; Cuthbert Edward Wrangham (22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4.) wore the other. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1 Doreen Christina Wrangham, born December 30th 1947. Married November 4th 1967 Norman Russell Hess of Calgary, Alberta born July 19th 1947. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1. Doran Russell Hess, born June 21st 1968.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.2. Peter Randall Hess, born February 12th 1972.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Margaret Alicia Wrangham, born July 21st 1950. Married October 26th 1973 Martin Leslie Cull of Birmingham, England born May 24th 1945. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.1. Andrew Leslie Cull, born September 2nd 1979.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.2. Robyn Christina Cull, born February 10th 1981.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. Deborah Martha Wrangham, born May 30th 1954.
22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.1.5. Major Darcy George Wrangham, East Yorkshire Regiment. Born at Hotham October 29th 1878. Appointed 2nd Lieutenant February 14th 1900; served in the South African War 1900-02; took part in operations in the Orange Free State, including action at Houtneck (Thoba Mountain); operations in the Orange River Colony included actions at Biddulphsberg and Wittebergen, July 1st to 29th; again served in operations in the Orange River Colony, November 30th to May 31st 1902; awarded the Queen's Medal with three clasps and the King's Medal with two clasps; promoted to Major September 1st 1915. Married 1916 Jean Victoria Mary Fitzpatrick (died January 2nd 1962), daughter of Colonel Fitzpatrick. Died July 22nd 1920 in Peshawar, India. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Darcy George Wrangham. Advertising executive. Married - Kelty? Issue?:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Giles Darcy Wrangham. Born 1969.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Natasha Beverly Wrangham. Born 1971.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3. Tamsin Gillian Wrangham. Born 1974.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.4. Piers Digby Wrangham. Born 1981.
Back one generation to 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1. Walter Francis Wrangham
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1.3. Walter George Wrangham, M.A., J.P. Born at Hotham March 6th 1872. Educated Ripon Grammar School and St John's College, Cambridge (admitted August 16th 1890); B.A. 1893, M.A. 1897. Called to the Bar, Inner Temple, November 17th 1896; on the North-Eastern circuit; sub-treasurer of the Inner Temple 1908-35. Married February 7th 1899 his second cousin Evelyn Agnes Fannie Wilberforce (nr. 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.4., died March 20th 1954). Died at Eastbourne November 21st 1935. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. His Honour Judge Sir Geoffrey Walter Wrangham, of Wakerly Manor, Oakham, Rutland. Lieutenant Colonel, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and Royal Armoured Corps (1940-45). Born June 16th 1900. Educated Eton College and Balliol College, Oxford; called to the Bar 1923; joined North-Eastern Circuit; practised in London, 1923-33, thereafter in Bradford; Gresham Lecturer in Law, 1925-33; Recorder of York, 1941-50; judge of the County Courts, circuit 20, from 1950; edited, with W.A. Macfarlane, the 8th edition of Clerk and Lindsell on Torts and the 18th edition of Chitty on Contracts. Married 1stly July 25th 1925 Mary Winkworth (died May 3rd 1933), daughter of Stephen Dickenson Winkworth. Married 2ndly November 1st 1947 Dorothy Joan Boyle, daughter of Colonel W. Boyle. Died August 22nd 1986. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1. Frances Mary Wrangham. Born April 29th 1926. Married 1949 John Murphy.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2 Edward Addison Wrangham of Harehope Hall, Alnwick, Northumberland. Born February 6th 1928. Compiler of ‘Inro, Catalogue of an Exhibition of Japanese Inro from the Collection of E.A. Wrangham at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, Department of Eastern Art, October 9th to November 4th 1972’ (Oxford, 1972). Married 1955 Anne E.H. Jackson. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.1. Mary D. Wrangham. Born 1956.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.2. Edward J. Wrangham. Born 1959.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.3. Geoffrey William Harvey Wrangham. Born 1961. Educated Harrow School 1974-79.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.4. Carole A. Wrangham. Born 1962.
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. Richard Walter Wrangham. Born November 8th 1948. Married 1980 Elizabeth A.M. Ross. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.1. Geoffrey Ross Wrangham. Born 1982 in Chicago, U.S.A.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.2. David Wilberforce Wrangham. Born 1986 in Chicago, U.S.A.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.3. Ian Arthur Wrangham. Born 1988 in Chicago, U.S.A.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.4. Catherine Joan Wrangham. Born November 8th 1948.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Cuthbert Edward Wrangham, C.B.E. Born December 16th 1907. Educated Eton College and King's College, Cambridge, 1926-29; BA, 1929; LL.D. (Hon.) Wilberforce College, Ohio, 1957. Joined C. Tennant Sons & Co. Ltd, 1929; appointed a director 1936. With the Ministry of Aircraft Production during W.W.II. Director of the Marine & General Mutual Life Assurance Soc., 1944. C.B.E. 1946. Chairman, Shelbourne Hotel Ltd, Dublin, 1947. Director, Power-Gas Corp. Ltd, 1952; vice-chairman 1957; managing director, 1959. Member, Monopolies Commission, 1954-57. Chairman of Short Bros. and Harland Ltd, 1961. Author of ‘East Farleigh and Two Families’, an account of the Wilberforce and Wrangham families in their connection with East Farleigh, Kent (privately printed; Catterick, 1974). Married 1stly July 19th 1935 (dissolved) Teresa Jane Cotton, daughter of Ralph Cotton. Married 2ndly March 3rd 1958 Jean Ursula Margaret Behrens, younger daughter of Lieutenant Colonel T.T. Behrens. Died February 10th 1982. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1. James Russell Wrangham. Born June 8th 1938. Educated Eton College and King's College, Cambridge, 1957-60 (B.A. 1960). Group treasurer, Courtauld's plc, London.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2. George Dennis Wrangham. Born 1940. Educated King's College, Cambridge 1959. Resident in the U.S.A.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. (Francis) Charles Wrangham. Managing director, Standard Chartered Asia Ltd, Hong Kong. Born December 15th 1941. Educated Eton College and King's College, Cambridge, 1960. Married 1973 Sophia Sedgwick. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.1. Rachel Wrangham. Born 1974.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.2. Alice Wrangham. Born 1976.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4. Elizabeth M. Wrangham. Born 1944. Married 1981 Benjamin G. Thompson.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.5. Anne T. Wrangham. Born 1948. Married 1981 Peter O. Lawson.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Brenda A. Wrangham. Born 1915. Married 1943 Pierre J. Natzler.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Audrey Wrangham.
Back one generation to 18.104.22.168.4.1. Richard Wrangham
- 22.214.171.124.4.1.6. John Wrangham. Farmer(73)73. As described in his burial entry, June 17th 1832, Wharram Percy: ‘formerly farmer of Pickering.’, gentleman. Baptised April 21st 1748 at Langton. Portrait painted by John Jackson, R.A. (copies in the possession of Miguel de Avendaño, Canon John Francis Wrangham Hardy, and Mrs Caroline Wrangham Thomas). Married by licence at Willerby, East Riding of York, November 6th 1777 Margaret Cook (died June 4th 1832 and buried at Wharram Percy) of Scarborough, daughter of - Cook and his wife Elizabeth Arundell. Died June 13th 1832 and buried June 17th at Wharram Percy. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Richard Wrangham. Baptised December 1st 1778 at Willerby. Enlisted in the Royal Navy in 1793, aged 15. In a letter to his parents dated December 9th 1793 at Spithead(74)74. From a series of six letters written by or about Richard Wrangham, now in the possession of Mrs Caroline Wrangham Thomas. he lets them know of his safe arrival ‘after a passage of 4 day…, the first Day I was not sick but on the second I was very Sick and wished my self on shore a gain till I got well and then I thought no more about it’; ‘the Captain is a very good man and so is the mate but we never go to Prayers as you where told.’(75)75. The following is crossed out in the original: ‘for you may swear and curse as you…’ ‘I have no Companion but a young man who as been a Midshipman on Bord a man of war but after having spent a Forton is know torned out but as with him a Letter of… recomendations from the Cap.’
In a subsequent letter, dated December 16th (?) 1796 at Yarmouth, he informs his parents of his safe return from a seven week cruise in which several prizes were taken, declaring that ‘the Ardent is a very good Ship and a good Captain’ and asking them to ‘take Care of the Dart that I got at the Bullfight in Cadiz’.
He served on HMS Ardent in 1796 and 1797, doing ‘his duty in the fore-top’, where he ‘appears to have conducted himself very well’(76)76. Letter from Richard Rundle Burgess, Captain of HMS Ardent to the Reverend Francis Wrangham (nr. 184.108.40.206.1.2.1., Richard Wrangham's first cousin), dated February 4th 1797 at Blackstakes.. Unfortunately, he took part in the mutiny at Spithead and The Nore(77)77. Of which he informs his parents in an undated letter, which he signs ‘your Undutifull son’., having been sent to Sheerness as one of the mutineers' delegates. Escaping to London, he found employment on a ship bound for Gibraltar. He subsequently traded in the West Indies, where he had the ‘bad forton to be taken by the Spaniards’ and ‘condemned to be a slave for 7 years but as luck would have it… escaped after a twelve months hard larbours’.
In 1800 he was in America, preparing to sail for Leghorn and London and later on to the West Indies(78)78. From a letter dated November 16th 1800 at Gibraltar, also signed ‘your Undutifull son’.. In a letter dated September 17th 1806, Washington Kittroy, a friend and shipmate, informs his parents that he was given a letter ‘some time Last January’ as at the time Richard Wrangham ‘was very sick and in quite low spirits’. He was entrusted to send the letter as directed, ‘we then lying in the Cape of Good Hope & the ship under the charge of a prize Master who was put on board by the English Commodor on the 8th. Feby’; ‘they sent the Crew on shore who were found there passage to Amicar by the Capt excipt My Friend who was left under the consuls car(e) not having recovered his health in a sufficient degree’ though ‘able to walk about the town till he should be able to proseed to Amica’.
He continues: ‘and my self who remained by the Vessel when I arrived in England I was at a loss what to do fearful that it might convey now allarming tidinges than his health would waunt if I sent the Letter I have delayed till this time hoping that you might hear of his Good health but being on my way for Amricar Thought best to write & inclose with a statement of the Voyage that he performed the ship he shipt about the 7th Dicr. 1804 on bord of the ship Thames of New York… bound to Cadiz & from thence to Batavia she put into the Cape her homeward bound passage when we left June the 2d 1805 the ship was clea( ) when she arrived in England and proseeded from thence to Amster Dam and is now on her passage to New York where I am in hope that I shall see him in good health to Reicive his wages.’ His subsequent fate is unknown.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. William Wrangham. Baptised November 13th 1779 at Willerby.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. George Wrangham. Baptised March 11th 1781 at Wharram Percy. Buried April 11th 1781 at Wharram Percy.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Anna Wrangham. Baptised July 18th 1782 at Middleton. Buried October 17th 1804 at Wharram Percy.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. William Wrangham.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. George Wrangham.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Phyllis Wrangham. Baptised October 16th 1788 at Saint John and Saint Martin, Beverley. Married by licence (Archbishop of York, dated June 21st 1809) Ralph Graystock (died August 18th 1864 and buried at Wharram Percy), of Pickering, butcher. Died December 10th 1866 and buried December 16th at Wharram Percy. Issue, an only son:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. George Wrangham Graystock. Baptised at Pickering January 18th 1810. Died May 5th 1852 and buried May 7th at Wharram Percy.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Sophia Wrangham. Baptised May 20th 1791 at Saint John and Saint Martin, Beverley. Married by licence (Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York) at Pickering April 11th 1812 John Robinson, officer in the Royal Navy (born c. 1777). Died April 23rd 1813 and buried at Wharram Percy.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Maria Wrangham. Baptised March 12th 1793 at Saint John and Saint Martin, Beverley. Buried December 4th 1796 at Wharram Percy.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Robert Joseph Wrangham. Draper, grocer, Driffield(79)79. Registry of Deeds, East Riding of York: November 26th 1822 (DN 236 263 and DN 237 264). Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory, …Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire; London, 1834; page 215.. Baptised February 22nd 1795 at Saint John and Saint Martin, Beverley. Married by licence (Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York) at Great Driffield March 3rd 1819 Sarah Dunn (died September 13th 1879; will proved 1879). Will proved 1883. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. George Robert Wrangham. Gentleman. Married Mary Lunn (born at Hough, Lincolnshire, c. 1823; died in Derby December 27th 1906, having married 2ndly at Scarborough March 2nd 1882 Joseph Smith of Derby). Will dated August 5th 1876 and proved 1876. Died August 17th 1876, aged 56. No issue.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. The Reverend Richard Wrangham. Born at Driffield c. 1826. Ordained priest 1857; curate of Skelton-in-Cleveland, 1856-58; curate of Middleton-on-the-Wolds, 1858-61; vicar of Garton-on-the-Wolds, 1861-84. Married Mary - (born at Norton by Malton c. 1839). Died December 21st 1889, aged 64. No issue.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. Sarah Wrangham. Baptised November 10th 1827 at Great Driffield.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Joseph Wrangham.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Elizabeth Maria Wrangham. Baptised June 13th 1798 at Thorpe Bassett. Married by licence (Archbishop of York) at Bridlington June 10th 1822 John Gray (born June 28th 1798 at Pickering and died February 18th 1871 at Lancaster), painter, son of Thomas Gray and his wife Elizabeth Hotham. Died October 21st 1854 and buried October 24th at Wharram Percy. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Letitia Gray. Born and died June 17th 1826 in Pickering.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2. Richard Wrangham Gray. Born March 6th 1828 and baptised March 8th at Pickering. Died November 1st 1836 and buried November 4th at Wharram Percy.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3. Wrangham Gray. Born and died August 3rd 1833 in Pickering.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.4. Maria Gray. Born April 22nd 1835 in Pickering. Married at Pickering December 22nd 1858 William Atkinson. Died March 24th 1890 and buried March 29th in Manchester. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4.1. Frederick William Atkinson. Born September 22nd 1859 in Bradford Yorkshire.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4.2. Elizabeth Maria Louisa Wrangham Atkinson. Born May 12th 1861 in Bradford. Married at Saint Saviour and Saint Chrysostom, Manchester, August 30th 1890 Thomas Holt (born May 4th 1861 in Manchester and died December 16th 1945 in Stockport, Cheshire), son of John Holt and Rebecca Mallinson. Died January 15th 1928 in Stockport, Cheshire. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.4.2.1. John Richard Holt. Born May 20th 1891 in Manchester. Married in 1922? Elizabeth Bland. Died 1964 in Stockport. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Margaret Richmond Holt. Born February 5th 1925 in Stockport. Married July 4th 1953 Frederick Dearman (born 1927). Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Linda Elizabeth Dearman. Born June 5th 1957. Married 1975 David Shields (born July 1949).
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4.2.2. George Wrangham Holt. Born August 7th 1893 inManchester. Married at Saint Thomas's, Heaton Norris, Lancashire, August 31st 1920 Edith Caroline Webb (born December 25th 1893 at Edgeley, Stockport, and died November 22nd 1978 at Heaton Chapel, Stockport), daughter of Thomas Webb of Boston, Maryland (born in London), J.P., alderman and mayor of Stockport, Cheshire, and his wife Ida Ann Heartfield of New York. Died January 29th 1959 in Stockport, Cheshire. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Caroline Wrangham Holt. Born January 6th 1922 at Heaton Norris, Lancashire. Served W.A.A.F., W.W.II, mentioned in despatches. Married at Saint Thomas's, Heaton Chapel, Stockport, Cheshire, September 18th 1948 Arthur Froude Thomas, D.F.M., (born April 13th 1922 in Banwell, Somerset; served in Bomber Command, W.W.II). Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Steven Charles Wrangham Thomas. Born July 24th 1953 in Stockport, Cheshire. Married at Halifax, Yorkshire, February 11th 1978 Janet Margaret Ward. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1. Caroline Elizabeth Thomas. Born February 13th 1981 in Halifax, Yorkshire.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.2. Richard Wrangham Thomas. Born April 11th 1984 in Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.3. Jennifer Catherine Thomas. Born October 23rd 1986 in Westminster, London.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2. Sylvia Margaret Caroline Thomas, B.A. Born April 22nd 1956 in Stockport, Cheshire. Educated University of London. Married at Saint Alban's, Hertfordshire, November 15th 1980 Adel Mahmoud Ismail, M.B., B.Ch., F.R.C.S. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.1. Sharif Adel Ismail. Born January 2nd 1983 in Westminster, London.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.1. Nadia Caroline Ismail. Born May 20th 1985 in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Thomas Wilfrid Holt. Born November 20th 1924 in Heaton Norris, Lancashire. Married April 1st 1965 Eileen Derbyshire. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Oliver Charles Thomas Holt. Born May 22nd 1966 in Manchester.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4.3. Ernest Herbert Atkinson. Married 1stly Clara Griffiths. Married 2ndly Sally -. Issue.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.4.4. Richard Louis Atkinson. Married Emily Bagshaw. No issue.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4.5. Florence Mary Atkinson. Born December 12th 1867. Died October 1st 1868.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4.6. Gertrude May Atkinson. Married F.H. Attride of Bondi, Sydney, New South Wales. With issue in Australia.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.5. Richard Wrangham Gray. Born May 7th 1841 in Pickering. Died February 18th 1861 and buried in Manchester.
Back one generation to 22.214.171.124.4.1.6. John Wrangham
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. William Wrangham. Farmer. Baptised November 3rd 1784 at Middleton by Pickering. Married by licence (Archbishop of York) at Sculcoates April 4th 1820 Ann Simpson (died January 8th 1863 and buried January 12th at Thorpe Bassett). Buried June 18th 1837 at Thorpe Bassett. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1. Anna Wrangham. Baptised July 18th 1821 at Tadcaster. Married 1841 or 1842 William Topham of Rowgate (died January 7th 1873 at Thorpe Bassett, aged 60), son of William Topham of Bainton and his wife Mary Taylor. Died March 21st 1885 and buried March 24th at Thorpe Bassett. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1. Emily Jane Topham. Born 1843. Buried December 24th 1847 at Thorpe Bassett.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.2. Agnes Elizabeth Topham. Born 1845. Buried December 31st 1847 at Thorpe Bassett.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.3. Arthur Topham, of Helperthorpe, farmer. Born 1847. Married Anne -. Died at Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, October 16th 1933. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.3.1. Gertrude Topham. Baptised September 22nd 1874 at Thorpe Bassett.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.3.2. Ida Mary Topham. Baptised October 29th 1876 at Thorpe Bassett. Married - Lewis.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.3.3. John Robert Topham. Baptised September 7th 1879 at Thorpe Bassett.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.3.4. William Simpson Topham. Baptised August 24th 1880 at Thorpe Bassett.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.3.5. Dorothy Topham. Baptised April 26th 1882 at Thorpe Bassett and died April 29th.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.3.6. Arthur Maxwell Topham. Baptised August 3rd 1884 at Thorpe Bassett.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.3.7. Augustine Topham. Baptised June 8th 1885 at Thorpe Bassett. Died July 26th 1885.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.4. William Simpson Wrangham Topham. Dealer in horses. Born 1849/50. Died at New Malton December 15th 1874 and buried December 17th at Thorpe Bassett.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.5. Herbert Topham. Born 1851/52. Buried September 4th 1860 at Thorpe Bassett.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.6. George Walter Topham. Born 1853. Died December 3rd 1874 and buried December 5th at Thorpe Bassett.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.7. Mary Topham. Married James Clough Parker.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.8. Blanch Elizabeth Topham. Born 1856.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.9. Amy Topham. Governess. Born 1858.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.10. Charles E. Topham. Joiner.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.10. Helen Topham.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2. William (Simpson) Wrangham.
Back one generation to 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. William Wrangham
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. William (Simpson) Wrangham. Baptised July 19th 1823 in Tadcaster. Educated at Captain Darling's School, Thorpe Bassett. ‘After leaving school he was apprenticed to a draper in Hull. This apprenticeship over, he was employed as assistant to the well known Mr. Henry Pickering, of Malton -at that time the leading draper of the district. Tiring of the draper's trade, which he had never really liked, he started as a wine and spirit merchant in partnership with Mr. George Hardy, trading under the style of "Wrangham and Hardy". This partnership did not last long, and he carried on the business under his own name, becoming district agent of Tetley's, of Leeds.
When the one-time famous tanning firm of Priestman's was disolved and their extensive premises became for sale, Mr. Wrangham purchased the property and established there the Crystal Brewery, which he carried on for many years with success.’(80)80. ‘Mr. William Wrangham’, ‘Bygone Maltonians, No. VII’ by George Wrangham Hardy, York Gazette, November 23rd 1912. Around 1897 ‘he amalgamated with the old-established firm of Messrs. J. Russell and Sons, under the style and title of Russell & Wrangham Ltd’(81)81. ‘Mr. William Wrangham’, ‘Bygone Maltonians, No. VII’ by George Wrangham Hardy, York Gazette, November 23rd 1912.. ‘A retiring man, Mr. Wrangham took no position in public affairs, but in private life he was always ready to help both with money and in other ways.
As an employer of labour he was highly respected, and his men and clerks were generally "fixtures". It may be truly said, "that those who knew him best loved him best". He had a kind word for everybody. Unlike most Maltonians, he was a keen reader, keeping a close eye on the best new books which were being published -especially travel and the most notable works of fiction.
In politics Mr. Wrangham was a conservative, his honest conviction being that conservatism was best for all parties’(82)82. ‘Mr. William Wrangham’, ‘Bygone Maltonians, No. VII’ by George Wrangham Hardy, York Gazette, November 23rd 1912.. Married at Malton August 5th 1851 Elizabeth Newlove (born at East Heslerton, Yorkshire, August 5th 1830 and died December 6th 1908), ‘daughter of Mr. Newlove, a well-known Yorkshire farmer.(83)83. ‘Mr. William Wrangham’, ‘Bygone Maltonians, No. VII’ by George Wrangham Hardy, York Gazette, November 23rd 1912.. Died June 23rd 1910 after an illness of some years' duration; he was buried in the Malton cemetery and his funeral was very largely attended, representatives of nearly every family in Malton and Norton being present. His thin wiry figure and cheerful nature were sadly missed in the town’(84)84. ‘Mr. William Wrangham’, ‘Bygone Maltonians, No. VII’ by George Wrangham Hardy, York Gazette, November 23rd 1912.. Will proved October 4th 1910. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.1. William Henry Wrangham. Born May 29th 1852. Died August 9th 1852 and buried August 10th at Thorpe Bassett.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.2. Fanny Elizabeth Wrangham. Born at Malton June 25th 1853. Died unmarried December 10th 1943.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.3. Charles Newlove Wrangham. Born July 30th 1855. Died December 26th 1855 and buried December 29th at Thorpe Bassett.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.4. Emily Wrangham. Born at Malton June 22nd 1857. Died unmarried June 7th 1937.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.5. Harold Wrangham. Born October 9th 1858. Died April 17th 1859.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.6. William Henry Wrangham. Grocer, Malton. Born October 31st 1859. Married 1888 Emily Ann - (who died December 24th 1939, aged 79). Died January 19th 1940. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.6.1. Elsie Elizabeth Mary Wrangham. Born 1889. Died unmarried March 26th 1979.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.6.2. Kathleen Maud Wrangham. Born October 6th 1890.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.6.3. William Wrangham. Born 1893.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.6.4. George Stanley Wrangham. Born 1895. Died 1896.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.6.5. Ethel Wrangham. Born 1896. Died 1898.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.6.6. Guy Francis Walter Wrangham. Provision merchant's agent. Born 1903. Died December 27th 1980.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.7. Ernest Wrangham. Born December 20th 1860. Died February 6th 1861.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.8. Alfred Wrangham. Born June 6th 1862. Died February 13th 1863.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.9. Edward Wrangham. Born May 22nd 1864. Died 1864.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.10. Harold Wrangham. Grocer, Malton. Born August 12th 1867 and baptised September 1st at Norton by Malton. Married 1894 Mary Hornsie (died January 2nd 1934?). Died November 1st 1950. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.10.1. Harold Reginald (Rex) Wrangham. Born May 25th 1895. Married 1926 Mary Isobel Monkman (died February 16th 1988). Died February 17th 1961. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Michael William Wrangham. Engineer at the Black Knight rocket test site at Highdown. Born August 2nd 1929. Married 1955 Denise Maisie Wankling (who married 2ndly 1964 William G. Williams). Died by drowning April 6th 1964 at The Groyne, St Swithin's, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.10.2. Eric Wrangham. Born May 14th 1896. Married 1931 Ida Monkman (died June 17th 1991). Died March 8th 1934. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Ann Elizabeth Wrangham. Born January 24th 1933. Married 1958 David Hopkins. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Sarah Jane Hopkins. Born December 1959.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Angela Mary Hopkins. Born February 29th 1964.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.10.3. Mary Eleanor Wrangham. Born 1897. Died unmarried October 30th 1956.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.11. Alfred Wrangham. Born August 19th 1868 and baptised September 2nd at Norton by Malton. Married 1897 Lily Botterill (died July 12th 1960, aged 88). Died March 10th 1954. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.11.1. William Simpson Wrangham. Chief engineer, M.N. Born January 9th 1899. Married 1930 Caroline Ramsay. Died November 5th 1973. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. John Brian Wrangham. Born January 8th 1933. Married 1976 Anne Lyn Rees.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2.11.2. Digby Alfred Wrangham, B.Sc. (London), M.Sc. (London), M.I.Mech.E. Born July 16th 1900. Principal, Sunderland Technical College; for ten years held various offices with the Wallsend Shipway and Eng. Co. Ltd; research assistant to Sir Cyril Kirkpatrick; lecturer at the Royal School of Mines; head of the Engineering Department, Royal Technical College, Salford; head of the Department, and later Principal, of the Sunderland Technical College. His publications include ‘Theory and Practice of Heat Engines’, published by Cambridge University Press(85)85. Details from The Whitworth Register, prepared by the Whitworth Society (an Association of Whitworth Scholars, Exhibitioners and Prizemen), The Whitworth Society, London, n.d., page 222.. Married 1933 Marion Lant (née Dawson). Died March 18th 1982.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.11.3. Phyllis May Wrangham. Born December 22nd 1907. Married 1930 Alexander Robertson. Died September 26th 1939. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. James Robertson Wrangham. Assumed the name of Wrangham. Born December 4th 1932. Married 1955 Anne Judith Boddy. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Claire Elizabeth Mary Wrangham. Born February 27th 1957. Married 1984 Paul Young-Jamieson.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Julie Anne Wrangham. Born February 4th 1959. Married 1985 George T.F. Braddock.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. Sally Jane Wrangham. Born September 28th 1961 at Changi. Married 1990 Gavin R.S. Dive.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.12. Kathleen Wrangham. Baptised April 7th 1873 at Norton by Malton. Died 1873.
Back one generation to 188.8.131.52.4.1.6. John Wrangham
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. George Wrangham. Linen and woolen draper(86)86. 1841 Census, HO/107/1213, resident with his wife and children, three apprentices and two female servants. 1851 Census, HO/107/2367: resident at 71 High Street, Bridlington, with his children, an assistant, three apprentices, a cook and a house servant., gentleman. Baptised July 27th 1786 at Middleton by Pickering. Married by licence at Saint Leonard's, Shoreditch, London, April 26th 1819 Letitia Porter (born March 17th 1792 and baptised April 17th at the Pavement Chapel -Independent-, Hoxton, Middlesex; died February 24th 1851 in Bridlington), daughter of Robert Porter and his wife Letitia Robinson. Will dated February 24th 1851 and proved December 4th at York. Died May 24th 1851 and buried the same day in Bridlington. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1. Margaret Porter Wrangham. Baptised March 29th 1820 in Bridlington. Married by licence at Saint Matthew's, Brixton, Surrey, September 19th 1857 Thomas Jackson Coates (born in Manchester), gentleman, son of John Coates, gentleman. Died November 17th 1905.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Mary Laetitia Wrangham. Baptised June 8th 1821 at Bridlington. Buried September 14th 1828 at Bridlington.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. George Robert Wrangham.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.4. Emily Wrangham. Baptised June 28th 1824 at Bridlington. Buried November 28th 1831 at Bridlington.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.5. Agnes Wrangham. Baptised June 29th 1826 at Bridlington. Married by licence at Saint Matthew's, Brixton, Surrey, July 13th 1857 the Reverend William Atherstone Hales(87)87. Born August 28th 1829 at Loughborough. Educated at Louth Grammar School and Caius College, Cambridge, B.A. 1855, M.A. 1864. Ordained deacon (Worcester) 1855, priest 1856. Lecturer of Saint Andrew's, Holborn, 1856-61. Chaplain to the King of Hanover. Hon. Secretary and chaplain to the City Orthop. Hospital. R. of Saint Margaret's, Canterbury 1861-64. V. of Bosley, Cheshire 1870-74. Professor of English Literature at the City of London College 1883-94. V. of Saint M., Worcester Park, Cuddington, Surrey, 1884-92. Lecturer in Theology at Queen's College, Harley Street 189--94. F.R.G.S. Died at 7 Sinclair Road, West Kensington, on May 10th 1894. Brother of John Wesley Hales, Professor of English Literature at King's College, London, 1877-93. Father of Wilfrid Burckhardt Atherstone Hales, born July 18th 1877 in Kensington, London; matriculated Easter 1899 at Saint Catherine's College, Cambridge; schoolmaster and private tutor; "persistently described himself, e.g. between 1927 and 1931 in the ‘Schoolmasters' Directory’ and elsewhere, as ‘M.A., Cantab.’, ‘D.Sc., Oxon.’ and ‘J.P.’ There is preserved at the University registry correspondence with the Registrar of Oxford and with the Lord Chancellor concerning the validity of the two latter claims.", son of William Hales, wesleyan minister, and his wife Eliza Atherstone. Died May 11th 1868. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.5.1. Loetitia Hales.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.5.2. Edith Beatrice Hales. Born 1860. Married John Shapton.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6. Anne Wrangham. Born May 6th 1828 and baptised May 20th at Bridlington. Married 1853 Cannam Woodcock (baptised September 12th 1820 at Bridlington and died May 4th 1908), warehouseman, son of John Woodcock of Wilsthorpe, farmer, and his wife Anna Cannam. Died March 9th 1907. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.1. Walter Wrangham Woodcock. Baptised August 21st 1855 at Bridlington. Married June 24th 1886 Ann Simpson. Died at Bramhall, Chester, August 6th 1904.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.2. Annie Augusta Woodcock. Born June 23rd 1858. Married - Simpson.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.6.3. Charles Wrangham Woodcock. Born 1866. Engineer.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.6.4. Arthur Henry Woodcock. Born 1870. Died unmarried March 30th 1894.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6.5. Lillian Margaret Woodcock.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.7. Francis Daniel Wrangham. Baptised May 9th 1830 at Bridlington. Warehouseman and leather merchant in partnership with his brother John. Married by banns at Saint Luke's, Chelsea, London, January 18th 1894 Hannah Edwards (died December 22nd 1943), widow. Died at Bowden Derra, Launceston, Cornwall, July 23rd 1918. Issue, an only daughter:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.7.1. (Ethel) May Wrangham of Bowden Derra, Launceston, Cornwall. Born c. 1885. Died unmarried February 5th 1972(88)88. Will proved April 24th 1972, her effects being valued at £571,601..
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8. John Wrangham.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.9. Laetitia Wrangham. Born January 19th and baptised January 22nd 1834 at Bridlington. Married John Prust (born in Hartland, Devon, and died October 30th 1887, aged 66), stockbroker. Died March 8th 1909. No issue?
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.10. Joseph Wrangham. Born January 8th 1838 and baptised January 10th at Bridlington.
Back one generation to 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. George Wrangham
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3. George Robert Wrangham. Linen and woolen draper of 73 High Street, Bridlington(89)89. 1861 Census, RG9/3612, folio 24. Employing two apprentices, two house servants and a nursemaid.; subsequently a leather warehouseman. Baptised November 14th 1822 at Bridlington. Married at the Union Chapel (Congregational dissenters), Islington, Middlesex, June 29th 1854 Charlotte Crickmore (born in Clerkenwell c. 1834; died September 22nd 1910), daughter of George Crickmore (born at Witham, Essex, c. 1811) and his wife Charlotte (born at Henley, Oxfordshire, c. 1805). Died December 12th 1892 in Greenwich. Will dated December 19th 1889. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.1. Charlotte Laetitia Wrangham. Born in Bridlington April 17th 1855. Married by banns at Bridlington April 19th 1877 Marriott Oakes, stockbroker (born in Sheffield; died November 16th 1902, aged 52), son of Henry Oakes, gentleman. Died in Sheffield August 10th 1920. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1.1. Mary Wrangham Oakes. Born in Sheffield June 26th 1878.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1.2. Margaret Geraldine Oakes. Born in Sheffield. Married 1910 Charles Ensor Levick (died November 13th 1961, aged 80), steel manufacturer, of Bramley Hall, Handsworth, near Sheffield. Died August 8th 1959, aged 78. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Patricia Levick. Born 1912.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Margaret Ensor Levick. Born 1915.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.1.3. Major Geoffrey Marriott Oakes. Director of Freeman Oakes & Co. Ltd. Born August 15th 1890. Married 1921 Williamina Dove Wyse (died September 10th 1959). Died August 19th 1940. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Peter Geoffrey Wrangham Oakes. Flying Officer, R.A.F.V.R. Born 1922. Educated Uppingham School 1936-39. Killed in action September 30th 1942 while serving on H.M.T. Larconia.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.2. John George Wrangham. Born July 23rd 1856. Died of scarlet fever December 9th 1861.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.3. Margaret Anna Wrangham. Born February 24th 1858. Married at Saint Peter's Church, Deptford, Kent, September 7th 1881 Wallace Cuthbert Causton (born February 17th 1856 and died April 4th 1941)(90)90. Educated Tonbridge School, 1872-73., commercial traveller, only son of James Causton, gentleman. Died December 17th 1929. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.3.1. Hilda Muriel Causton. Born June 21st 1883. Married - Wood.
188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.2. Dudley Knight Causton. Printer. Born April 19th 1890. Married October 5th 19-- Winifred Mary Loudon. Died September 28th 1969. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Major Richard George Causton, M.C., The Border Regiment. Commissioned July 3rd 1939; M.C. October 5th 1944; mentioned in despatches April 5th 1945; retired April 11th 1948. Born February 17th 1920.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Wing Commander John Lindley Causton, O.B.E., D.F.C.Commissioned August 7th 1942; wing commander January 1st 1960; retired July 1st 1966. Born August 13th 1923.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.4. Francis Wrangham.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.5. Joseph Crickmore Wrangham.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.6. Caroline Anne Wrangham. Born June 1st 1863. Died unmarried April 1st 1921.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.7. George Walter Wrangham. Born August 17th 1865. Married August 17th 1892 Frances Mary Silverlock (who died May 5th 1933). Died December 13th 1946. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.7.1. Orestes Silverlock Wrangham. Born August 12th 1902. Married 1942 Edith Margaret Bayley (died November 19th 1974). No issue.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.7.2. Angela Mary Wrangham. Born May 6th 1907. Died unmarried January 5th 1966.
Back one generation to 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. George Robert Wrangham
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.4. Francis Wrangham. Born April 15th 1859. Married 1881. Died August 29th 1930. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.4.1. Helen Wrangham. Born September 15th 1881. Died unmarried July 30th 1938.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.4.2. Francis Wrangham. Born October 22nd 1883. Died 1884.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.4.3. Gertrude Phyllis Wrangham. Born October 2nd 1885. Married 1stly a Canadian. Married 2ndly in the U.S.A. Emigrated to Detroit, U.S.A.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.4.4. Marguerite Elsie Wrangham. Born January 17th 1889. Died unmarried December 9th 1966.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.4.5. Katherine Maud Wrangham. Born October 6th 1890. Married. No issue.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.4.6. Thomas Frederick Wrangham. Civil Servant. Born March 17th 1893. Married Lucy Marjorie Fitt (died February 27th 1973). Died December 26th 1983. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Sylvia A. Wrangham. Born 1926. Married 1957 Kenneth W. Newland.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.4.7. Doctor George Robert Hesketh Wrangham, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. High Sheriff of Middlesex 1962-63; J.P. 1952; served R.A.M.C., 1939-45. Born September 4th 1895. Educated Haberdasher's Askes School and Saint Mary's Hospital. Freeman of the City of London. Married 1stly in 1920 Gladys Mary Ridley (died October 12th 1976), daughter of Grahame Ridley. Married 2ndly in 1978 Christina Mary Rose Ellis. Died January 9th 1986. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Doctor Robert Grahame Wrangham. Born 1934. Educated Epsom College, 1946-51. Married 1stly in 1958 Wendy A. Bowden. Married 2ndly - Burt. Died March 21st 1980. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1. Susan Amanda Wrangham. Born 1960.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. Simon Robert A. Wrangham. Born 1962.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3. Julie Anne Wrangham. Born 1967.
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4. Melita Dawn Wrangham. Born 1972.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Jean Margaret Wrangham. Married 1stly in 1944 Peter Long. Married 2ndly - Hooper. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1. Jane Long. Married - Townsend. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1. Andrew Townsend.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. Ian Long.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3. David Long. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.1. James Robert Long.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.4.8. Charles Richard Wrangham. Born 1897 or 1898. Captain R.N.? Married 1929 Lilian Elizabeth Dixon (died December 23rd 1992). Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Patricia Audrey Wrangham. Born 1932. Married 1954 Major Edward Trevor Seabrook, R.A.O.C., (born May 12th 1930). Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Howard Neil Seabrook.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Jacqueline Clare Seabrook. Married - Gokep.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.4.9. Hilda Wrangham. Born 1899. Married in 1921 Thomas J.A. Fuller. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Richard J. Fuller. Born October 20th 1922.
Back one generation to 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3. George Robert Wrangham
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.5. Joseph Crickmore Wrangham. Born November 2nd 1861. Married February 5th 1890 Edith Annie Hughes, daughter of William John Reed Hughes, engineer. Died December 26th 1943. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.5.1. Dorothy Wrangham. Born July 22nd 1892. Died unmarried September 21st 1949 at Guys Hospital, London.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.5.2. Phyllis Wrangham. Born March 1st 1894. Married 1944 Commander William Snow Bloodworth, M.B.E., R.N. No issue.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.5.3. Irene Wrangham. Born July 25th 1896. Married 1945 John B. Wallace. No issue.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.5.4. Norman Wrangham. Born March 20th 1899 at 14 Honley Road, Lewisham. Educated Saint Dunstan's College, Catford. Served W.W.I. Married Margaret Campbell (born Edinburgh March 25th 1909). Died November 16th 1973. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Norma Wrangham. Born September 28th 1936. Unmarried.
Back one generation to 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. George Wrangham
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8. John Wrangham. Pharmaceutical chemist(91)91. 1861 Census, RG9/363, folio 43. Resident at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey, with his family, an assistant and two servants. See also 1862 Post Office Directory., member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society; subsequently leather merchant in partnership with his elder brother Francis Daniel(92)92. 1881 Census. Resident at 4 College Gardens, Dulwich, with his family and three domestic servants.; gentleman(93)93. As described in the baptismal entries of his children Joseph Ernest, Mary Rebecca and Loetitia Margaret.. Baptised January 8th 1832 at Bridlington. Married by licence at Saint Mary, Lambeth, June 17th 1858 Mary Harris (born March 5th 1838 at 6 John Street, Saint Olave Hart Street, City of London; will dated June 8th 1898 and probate granted August 9th 1904), daughter of Thomas Harris and his wife Mary Self. Died August 30th 1891 at Oakfield, 57 Crystal Palace Park Road, Beckenham, Kent. Will dated March 20th 1884. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8.1. John Harris Wrangham. Writer and journalist. Born July 14th 1859 at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey. Educated Dulwich College 1871-74. Married by licence at Saint Margaret's Church, Whalley Range, April 19th 1893 Alice Rhodes (who died October 23rd 1939), daughter of Joseph Rhodes, merchant. Died 31st December 1928 at Rock Cottage, Port Saint Mary, Rushen, Isle of Man. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8.1.1. John Saint John Wrangham. Born 1894. Married Gladys Dorothea -. Died January 11th 1944. No issue?
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8.1.2. Greeba Diana Hay Wrangham. Died unmarried November 28th 1920.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8.2. Joseph Ernest Wrangham. Born August 30th 1860 at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey, and baptised March 5th 1861 at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton, Surrey. Died May 20th 1862.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8.3. Mary Rebecca Wrangham. Born January 31st 1862 and baptised April 30th at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton, Surrey. Married 1884 Arthur Joseph Baume (died September 24th 1936), Director of Baume & Company, President of the French Hospital, Shaftesbury Avenue, Vice-President of the Horological Institute, Officer of the Legion d'Honneur and member of the Belgian Order of Leopold Ⅱ, youngest son of Louis Victor Baume, Director of Baume & Company(94)94. See ‘A Hundred Years of Time, the Story of Baume and Company, Watchmakers’; published by Baume and Company, London and La Chaux-de-Fonds, n.d.. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8.3.1. Antoinette Baume. Died aged 1 year.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8.3.2. Dorothy Baume. Born March 15th 1890. Died unmarried June 27th 1973.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8.3.3. Phyllis Zéline Baume. Married in London November 11th 1911 Captain Alexander Cecil Gibson(95)95. Born September 3rd 1889 in Toronto, Canada; educated Upper Canada College 1903-07; 2nd Lieutenant 9th Bedfords 1914; wounded on the Somme July 1st 1916; Mentioned in Despatches; died October 11th 1968., son of Captain Alexander Horace Cecil Gibson(96)96. Born 1862 in Quebec; educated Malvern College and Clare College, Cambridge; Captain, The Royal Grenadiers; Barrister-at-Law; married Toronto February 1st 1884; Died January 31st 1911 in Toronto., B.A., L.L.B. and his wife Grace Murray Walker. Died August 21st 1947, aged 55. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Arthur Alexander Cecil Gibson. Lieutenant Colonel, Royal Tank Regiment. Director of Baume & Company 1939. Born in Canada April 19th 1912. Married 1935 Agnes Mary Tillson. Died in England September 24th 1981. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1. Christopher Arthur Cecil Gibson. Born September 8th 1938. Educated Downside Abbey and the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. Married 1973 Caroline Keene-Miller, daughter of J. Keene-Miller. Resident in Nairobi, Kenya. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.1. Alastair Edward Cecil Gibson. Born October 28th 1974. Educated Milton Abbey.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.2. Fergus Hugh Cecil Gibson. Born March 4th 1978. Educated Milton Abbey.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. Anthony P. Cecil Gibson. Born March 28th 1943. Educated Downside Abbey. Married December 4th 1965 Rosemary Ann Lacey. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.1. Nigel J. Cecil Gibson. Born June 11th 1967.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2.2. Domini C. Cecil Gibson. Born March 18th 1970.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.3. Jeremy P. Cecil Gibson. Born October 24th 1974.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3. Joanna Cecil Gibson. Married October 1973 Michael Bray. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1. James P. Bray. Born April 24th 1976.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.2. Anna May Bray. Born October 27th 1978.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Rear Admiral Peter Cecil Gibson, C.B. Born Toronto, Canada, May 31st 1913. Educated Ealing Priory. Married 1938 Phyllis Anna Mary Hume(97)97. Niece of Sir William Hume, President of the College of Physicians; first cousin of Basil, Cardinal Hume., daughter of Major Norman Haliburton Hume, I.M.S (died March 29th 1936). Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1. Michael Cecil Gibson. Educated Ampleforth College. Married in England August 1972 Kristen Strickland of New Zealand. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1. Amy Cecil Gibson. Born in England.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.2. Eleanor Cecil Gibson. Born in New Zealand.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.3. Imogen Cecil Gibson. Born in New Zealand.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. Nicholas Cecil Gibson. Born August 31st 1942. Educated Ampleforth College. Married June 10th 1967 Veronica Royle. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.1. Simon Cecil Gibson. Born 1969. Educated Clifton College and Southampton University.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2.2. Lucinda Cecil Gibson. Educated Guildford High School and Clifton College.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.3. James Cecil Gibson.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3. Peta Veronica Cecil Gibson. Educated Leweston Manor Convent. Married August 23rd 1969 Steven John Norris, M.P (Conservative; Oxford East, 1983-1987; Epping Forest, 1988), son of John Francis Birkett Norris and his wife Eileen Winifred Walsh. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.1. Anthony Hugh Norris. Born September 4th 1974. Educated Eton College.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.3.2. Edward George Stephen Norris. Born December 26th 1985.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Anthony Stephen Cecil Gibson. 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Tank Regiment. Born United Kingdom October 8th 1916. Killed in action in 1943.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Zéline Grace Cecil Gibson. Born March 30th 1921. Married Leslie James Harrison (born 1920 and died May 29th 1978). Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1. Anthony J. Harrison. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. Zéline Jane Harrison. Married J. Cosenza. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3. Trevor L. Harrison. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.4. Deborah A. Harrison. Unmarried.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Patricia Cecil Gibson. Born February 22nd 1923. Married Ralph Pike (born 1919).
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8.4. Thomas Harris Wrangham.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8.5. Loetitia Margaret Wrangham. Baptised December 15th 1867 at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton, Surrey. Married at Saint Luke's, Hampstead, December 18th 1907 Walter William Westmore (born c. 1862; married 1stly -; died March 14th 1927), gentleman, son of Sydney Westmore, gentleman. Died at Three Corners, Ringwood Road, Ferndown, Dorset, on August 2nd 1945. No issue.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8.6. Louisa Frances Wrangham. Born June 17th 1872 at 4 College Gardens, Dulwich, Surrey. Died 1872.
Back one generation to 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8. John Wrangham
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8.4. Thomas Harris Wrangham. Born February 14th 1864 at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey, and baptised October 5th at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton. Educated Dulwich College, 1875-81. Married at the church of the Holy Trinity and Saint Mary, Lambeth, March 20th 1897 Louisa Sennett(98)98. Younger sister of Sir Richard Christopher Sennett, Sheriff of the City of London. (born November 16th 1867 and baptised May 14th 1876 at Christchurch, Southwark; died March 7th 1954; willproved June 12th 1954), daughter of Richard Sennett (born May 17th 1834 and baptised June 8th at Saint John Horselydown, Bermondsey; will dated March 11th 1887 with a codicil dated July 24th 1896) and his first wife Eleanor Bradley (died November 15th 1880). Died at 33 Pickwick Road, Dulwich, March 13th 1922. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8.4.1. Lieutenant Colonel Louis Harris Wrangham, M.C., R.M.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8.4.2. Joan Wrangham. Born January 22nd 1899 at The Holme, Portarlington Road, Bournemouth, and baptised March 27th at the parish church of Saint Michael, Bournemouth. Married at the church of the Holy Trinity, Kensington Gore, Middlesex, April 20th 1929 Lieutenant Colonel Claude Percy Fisher, R.A.V.C., M.R.C.V.S, knight 3rd and 4th Class of the Order of the Nile, mentioned in despatches, sometime chairman Poulton Parish Council (born March 12th 1893 at Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, and baptised at Dunlavin Church of Ireland Parish Church; died September 14th 1985 in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, and buried in Poulton Parish Church), younger son of Thomas Fisher (born August 5th 1859 at Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, and baptised October 2nd at Dunlavin Church of Ireland Parish Church; died May 4th 1939) and his wife Susanna Hosford (baptised December 14th 1851 at the Scot's Presbyterian Church in Bandon Bridge, Co. Cork, and died January 3rd 1934). Died January 25th 1992 in Cirencester and buried January 31st at Poulton Parish Church. Issue, an only daughter:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Sheelah Louise Fisher. Born October 21st 1931 at 8 Avonmore Mansions, North East Fulham, London, and baptised on December 16th at the parish of the Holy Trinity with All Saints, Kensington Gore. Educated Lanherne House (Dawlish, Devonshire, 1940-44), Cheltenham Ladies College (1944 to Easter 1949), Saint Hilda's College, Oxford University, and Chelsea Polytechnic, London. Granted the following Arms for Fisher on October 21st 1993 (by the Earl Marshal's warrant dated December 1st 1992): Argent, two bars wavy between three horseshoes reversed Sable; the Arms to be borne by Sheelah Louise Fisher de Avendaño and by her descendants and to be placed on a memorial or otherwise displayed to the memory of her late father. Married at the Church of Saint James, Spanish Place, Manchester Square, Saint Marylebone, November 24th 1956 señor don José Luis de Avendaño y Porrúa (born November 20th 1915 in Santander, Spain, and died September 21st 1967 in Madrid), journalist and London correspondent, commander of the orders of Isabella the Catholic and Civil Merit, elder son of don Luis de Avendaño y Conte(99)99. 25th in descent from King Henry Ⅱ of England. (born Santander March 21st 1887 and died Santander November 21st 1933) and his wife doña Josefa Porrúa de Agüeros (born Santander April 3rd 1890 and died Santander November 23rd 1918). Died 8.40 a.m. on March 1st 1996 at the Hospital Universitario de San Carlos (Clínico), Madrid, and buried the following March 9th in the Avendaño family grave at Ciriego Cemetery, Santander(100)100. Death notices in The Times and Daily Telegraph (March 9th 1996), and ABC (March 8th 1996).. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Luis de Avendaño. Born in London on September 25th 1957 and baptised at the church of Our Most Holy Redeemer and Saint Thomas More, Cheyne Row, Chelsea SW3. Educated at the French Lycee, London, and Runnymede College, Madrid. Served 1978-81 3rd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment. Married Victoria Gillen, only daughter of Henry Gillen and Rosemary Jenison. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.1.Michael Henry de Avendaño. Born in Madrid on August 9th 2004.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Miguel de Avendaño, M.R.A.C. Born in London on March 22nd 1960 and baptised April 10th at the church of Our Most Holy Redeemer and Saint Thomas More, Cheyne Row, Chelsea SW3. Educated Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, 1986-88. Married at the church of Santiago de los Caballeros, Cáceres, Spain, October 25th 1997 Rocío Ramírez de Haro y Alós, eldest daughter of don Juan Ramírez de Haro y Ulloa, Ⅱ Marqués de Cambil and III Conde de Villamarciel, and doña Carmen de Alós y Merry del Val.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. Sylvia de Sienes. Born in Madrid December 31st 1971. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1. Carlotta Spinelli. Born in Rome on June 17th 2004.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.8.4.3. John Basil Wrangham. Lieutenant, Royal Tank Regiment; P.O.W. 1941-45. Born October 26th 1908. Educated Brightlands School and Dulwich College, 1922-25. Married 1946 Mrs Patricia Sarah Elizabeth Tudor (née Truscott; died January 24th 1991). Died at Stoke Knapp Farm, Broadwindsor, Beaminster, Dorset, June 8th 1964. No issue.
Back one generation to 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.8.4. Thomas Harris Wrangham
126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.8.4.1. Lieutenant Colonel Louis Harris Wrangham, M.C., R.M. Born December 28th 1897. Educated Hailey School, Bournemouth, 1908-12, and Dulwich College, 1912-14. ‘Joined the Royal Marines on December 20th 1915 as Temporary 2nd Lieutenant. From June 1916 to the end of the war he served with the Royal Naval Division in France. He was wounded on three occasions and awarded the M.C. on September 28th 1918. Transferred to the permanent list after the war, he served for a short period on H.M.S. Repulse. In September 1921 he was appointed to H.M.S. Renown for the period of the Prince of Wales's tour to the Far East. He then served as a Lieutenant in the 11th Royal Marine Battalion in the Mediterranean and soon after his return was seconded in December 1924 for employment under the Sudan Government. Promoted to Captain in October 1926, he served altogether for seven years in the Sudan being G.S.O III, Sudan Defence Force, during 1927 and 1928, and D.A.A.G. during his remaining three years there. He was never fond of normal peace-time routine, and service in the Sudan suited him perfectly; he was, in fact, anxious to remain there for a further three years, but some further experience with the Royal Marines being deemed necessary he returned home at the end of 1931 and his subsequent service included periods in H.M.S. Berwick, Colombo and Glorious. It was while serving in the last named ship in the Mediterranean that he decided to retire, and he was placed on the retired list at his own request on November 25th 1936. He was recalled for service in June 1939 and appointed to the Admiralty for duty in the Naval Intelligence Division, where he served until his death on September 1st 1941’
Supplement to the London Gazette, 30 July, 1919: ‘T./Capt. Louis Harris Wrangham, 1st Bn. R. Marines. For most conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on September 27th, 1918, during the attack on Anneux. He led his company forward with great dash and courage, and when, after the village of Anneux had been taken, the enemy counter-attacked, he personally supervised the actions of a company on his right flank, when all its officers had become casualties, in addition to his own. Although wounded in the arm he continued at duty and also rallied other troops to the original alignment. He remained with his company throughout the operations until ordered by the medical officer to report to the aid post.’
(Temporary 2nd Lieutenant 20/12/15 to 19/12/16; Temporary Lieutenant 20/12/16 to 27/12/16; Royal Marines Lieutenant 28/12/16; Captain 20/10/26; attached to Sudan Defence Force -Staff Captain 18/11/28- 6/12/24 to 5/12/31101)(101)101. Army List, 1934..
Married in Cairo, Egypt, Mary Bellingham Senior (born September 15th 1905 and died February 22nd 1977), daughter of Doctor Arthur Senior (born August 20th 1868) and his wife Jessie Marguerite Hartmann (born October 9th 1880). Died September 1st 1941 on war service. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. John Robin Wrangham. Born November 23rd 1931. Educated Clayesmore School. Married 1stly 1959 Carolyn Valentine Epps. Married 2ndly at Dibrugarh (Church of Scotland), Assam, India, October 29th 1966 Anthea Margaret Hannay, daughter of Major Eric John Hooker Hannay, tea planter (born February 18th 1913 and died July 24th 1976). Resident in Papua New Guinea. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1. Nicholas Louis de Reimer Wrangham. Assumed the name of Dixon. Born in India in 1960. Educated Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester?
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2. Jonathan Senior Wrangham. Born in Calcutta, India, February 8th 1969. Educated Clayesmore School. Married September 1991 Mrs Susan Teresa Collihole (née Palmer). Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.1. Sophie Suzanne Wrangham. Born November 10th 1989.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.1. Gemma Robyn Wrangham. Born June 7th 1991.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3. Wendy Stewart Wrangham. Born in Calcutta, India, August 6th 1970. Educated Bristol University, B.A. (Hons), Classical Studies.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Peter John Wrangham. General Manager, Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. Born April 30th 1934. Married in Singapore January 5th 1963 Bridget Beach (born 1937), daughter of Surgeon Rear Admiral William Vincent Beach, C.B., O.B.E., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., F.R.C.S.E., and his wife Daphne Muriel Joseph. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1. Fiona M. Wrangham. Born December 20th 1964 in Hong Kong. Married at Chelsea Old Church September 8th 1990 Simon H. Vaughan-Johnson, eldest son of Charles Vaughan-Johnson. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.1. James Anthony Vaughan-Johnson. Born June 16th 1995.
Back one generation to 22.214.171.124.4.1.6. John Wrangham
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Joseph Wrangham. Chemist and druggist, New Malton(102)102. ‘Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory, … Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire’; London, 1834; page 361.. Baptised May 15th 1796 at Thorpe Bassett. Married by licence (Archbishop of York) at Saint Michael, New Malton, December 25th 1817 Jane Nicholson (died November 23rd 1872 and buried at Old Malton; will proved 1873) daughter of George Nicholson(103)103. Brother of the painter Francis Nicholson (born November 14th 1752 at Pickering). and his wife Elizabeth Hardy. Will dated April 25th 1854, probate granted February 23rd 1857 at the P.C.C. Died November 19th 1856 and buried at Old Malton. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1. Ann Wrangham. Baptised January 6th 1819 at New Malton. Married 1841 or 1842 George Hardy (born at Wharram Percy October 6th 1813 and died March 3rd 1896), Actuary, son of Thomas Hardy and Frances Monkman. Died September 15th 1884. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1. George Wrangham Hardy. Chemist and Druggist, New Malton. Died February 2nd 1921 and buried at Old Malton. By Elizabeth Robinson(104)104. Referred to in his will, dated March 8th 1917, as ‘Elizabeth Robinson, usually called Elizabeth Robinson Hardy, who now lives with me at West Bank’, 4 Manor Road, Alexandra Park, Scarborough. he had the following issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1.1. Frances Alice Hardy. Married John Lyall Taylor. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Dorothy Hamilton Taylor.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.1.2. Maud Annie Hardy. Died 1937.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.1.3. Ida Hardy. Died 1937.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.2. Joseph Wrangham Hardy. Chemist and druggist, New Malton. Born at Malton 1850. Married Amelia Elgar (born at Peterborough March 21st 1854 and died March 13th 1915 in Malton), daughter of James Elgar of Scarborough (born in London c. 1820), candle maker, and his wife Elizabeth (born in London c. 1821). Died June 25th 1896. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.2.1. Digby Wrangham Hardy. Physician and surgeon. Born March 2nd 1880. Married July 25th 1908 Ethel Smailes (born June 21st 1877 and died August 2nd 1961). Died January 23rd 1937. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Canon John Francis Wrangham Hardy, M.B.E., T.D. Born July 26th 1911. Educated University of Leeds and Wells Theological College. Curate of Christchurch, Harrogate, 1935-38; Curate of Harewood 1938-47; C.F. (T.A.) 1939-65; Rector of Addingham 1947-53; Guiseley 1953-67; Surr. 1953-67; Exam. Chap. to Bishop of Bradford 1954-57; Hon. Can. of Bradford 1959-67; Canon (Emer.) from 1967; Asst. chaplain Order of Saint John of Jerusalem from 1960; D.A.C.G.N. 1960-65; Hon. Chaplain to H.M. the Queen 1962-64 and from 1967; Rector of Queen's Norton Priory from 1967; R.D. of Towcester from 1969.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Ethel Mary Wrangham Hardy. Born June 21st 1913. Died March 21st 1986.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Richard Michael Wrangham Hardy. Born February 9th 1916. Married at Eastbourne January 15th 1942 Joan Clifford Dingle (born October 5th 1919 in Calcutta, India, and died August 2nd 1986 in Tunbridge Wells). Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Adrian Mark Wrangham Hardy. Born May 18th 1954 in London. Married at Crofton, Orpington, Kent, February 25th 1978 Linda Kathleen Clarke (born March 13th 1953 at Bexley Heath). Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1. Mark William Wrangham Hardy. Born November 5th 1983.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.2. Adam James Wrangham Hardy. Born October 27th 1985.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.3. Katrina Joan Hardy. Born July 15th 1988.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2. Julian Michael Wrangham Hardy. Born July 22nd 1979 in Orpington, Kent. Married at Spalding, Lincolnshire, September 8th 1990 Elizabeth Jayne Stuckey.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.1. Alexandra Elizabeth Wrangham Hardy. Born November 15th 1991.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.2. Nicholas Michael Wrangham Hardy. Born April 30th 1994.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.2.2. Anna Wrangham Hardy. Born November 27th 1881. Died April 1959 and buried in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.2.3. George Wrangham Hardy. Solicitor; municipal commissioner in Darjeeling, India. Married 1stly December 28th 1910 Nancye Johnstone (born April 14th 1886 in Hove, Sussex, and died July 7th 1922 in Charmouth, Dorset). Married 2ndly Adela Florence - (died November 7th 1975). Died April 28th 1949. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Nancye Nigella Wrangham Hardy. Born July 5th 1922 in Charmouth, Dorset. Married June 2nd 1947 Frank Ayles (born December 11th 1913 in Romford, Essex, and died December 28th 1966 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire). Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Peter Ayles. Born April 30th 1948 in London. Married June 22nd 1974 Susan Ruth Sharp. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1. Michael Richard Ayles. Born December 13th 1977 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.2. Melanie Clare Ayles. Born September 5th 1979 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.3. Timothy John Ayles. Born May 21st 1982 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.4. Louisa Charlotte Ayles. Born May 21st 1982 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Bryony Ayles. Born November 7th 1949 in Calcutta, India. Married December 27th 1969 Jean-Marie Arthur Norbert Stassin (born 1945). Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.1. Zara Marie Belinda Stassin. Born January 23rd 1972 in Stirling, Scotland.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.2. Iain Nicholas Stassin. Born December 13th 1974 in Boxford, Suffolk.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. Stephanie June Ayles. Born July 12th 1952 in Sudbury, Suffolk. Married July 27th 1974 Sylwester Andrzej Maciej. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.1. Joanna Andrea Maciej. Born December 3rd 1979 in Long Beach, California, U.S.A. Married 2001 Kevin Clarke.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.2. Helenka Isabelle Maciej. Born June 12th 1984 in Worcester.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.3. Marissa Lucy Maciej. Born April 27th 1987 in Worcester.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.4. Heather Ayles. Born October 1st 1955 in Boxford, Suffolk. Married March 19th 1979 John Stuart Tipler. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4.1. Julius Ryan Tipler.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.4.2. Keri Louise Tipler. Born August 31st 1982 in Cawston, Norfolk.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4.3. Alexander Tomczynski Tipler. Born August 14th 1984 in Norfolk.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Richard Wrangham. Chemist and druggist, Bridlington(105)105. 1857 Post Office Directory, North and East Ridings of York.. Baptised May 17th 1820 at Saint Michael, New Malton. Died unmarried at Charing Cross Hospital, London, October 5th 1866. Will proved 1873.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3. George Wrangham. Baptised April 3rd 1822 at Saint Michael, New Malton.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4. John Wrangham. Baptised May 21st 1823 at Saint Michael, New Malton.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.5. Jane Wrangham. Baptised January 10th 1829 at Saint Michael, New Malton.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6. Elizabeth Wrangham. Baptised April 12th 1830 at Saint Michael, New Malton. Died January 28th 1899 and buried at Old Malton. Administration granted 1899 to George Wrangham Hardy.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.7. Joseph Wrangham. Chemist and druggist, New Malton(106)106. 1851 Census, H0/107/2367. Resident at 61 West Gate, with an apprentice and a servant.. Baptised August 8th 1831 at Saint Michael, New Malton. Died unmarried March 3rd 1874. Will proved in 1874.
The Will of Robert Wrangham of Langton
April 15th 1678
In ye name of God Amen I Robert Wrangham of Langton in ye County of Yorke husbandman sicke in body but pfect in memory thankes be given to Almighty God for his mercyes in Jesus Christ through whose meritts I hope for aeternall life doe make this my last will and testament as followeth first I give & bequeath my soul to God that gave it and my body to be buried wth decent buriall, and for temporall estate wherewith God hath blessd mee I give and bequeath as followeth, first I give and bequeath to my
sonne nephew Robert five pounds Item I give and bequeath to my sister Ann Seller wife of John Seller ten shillings, Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth that cow close at Thornthorpe called Sleighte or fourescore pound to be paid by my eldest sonne George within a yeares time after my decease, Item I give and bequeath to my sonne Robert & his heires all my land att Kenethorp which I lately bought of Willm Seller of Slingsby, Item I give to my daughter Ann seven pounds in full satisfaccon of all her porcon, as for all ye rest of my land I give to my eldest sonne George whom I make my heire, and for my psonal estate, undisposed of, I give and bequeathe it to my loving wife and my two sonnes George & Robert whom I make ioynt executors of this my last & testamt
witnesse my hand & seale
Aprill ye 15 / 1678 /his R mrke
Henrie Beale John Symm
The Wranghams of the Island of Saint Helena
The library of the Society of Genealogists, in London, holds a typescript copy of some notes on the Wrangham family of Saint Helena by ‘E.F.M.’, dated February 18th 1939 at San Diego, California, USA(107)107. ‘Wrangham Family of Saint Helena: Some Genealogical Notes.’. The following is an adaptation:
The notes following, on the Wrangham family of St. Helena, are based upon data supplied by G.C. Kitching, Esq., O.B.E., Government Secretary, Jamestown, St. Helena, and by Miss L.M. Anstey, of the India Office, Whitehall, London S.W.1.
Some of the dates given on a tombstone in Jamestown Cemetery do not always agree with the dates shown in the Church Registers or in the records of the India Office. Inasmuch as the tombstone was erected after the events of death and burial, the dates shown in the inscription are, no doubt, less accurate than those which appear in the Church Registers or in the India Office Records.
For a very readable and well documented account of the Island, see:
‘St. Helena, 1502 - 1938’;
London: Cassell, 1938.
- Samuel Wrangham. A planter at Saint Helena. Married April 6th 1686 Naomi Jewster, daughter of Job Jewster, planter, Saint Helena. Issue:
- Francis Wrangham. See Ⅱ.
- Mary Wrangham. B. September 13th 1688.
- Rebecca Wrangham. B. June 16th 1690.
- Ann Wrangham. B. December 16th 1691.
- Sarah Wrangham. B. June 27th 1694. Married April 5th 1709 Benjamin Sich.
- Margaret Wrangham. Baptised February 26th 1696/7.
- Samuel Wrangham. Baptised July 9th 1699(108)108. His mother's name appears as Amy (i.e. Naomi) in the register..
- Francis Wrangham, senior. Planter at Saint Helena. Born January 18th 1686/7. Married Margaret - (died October 6th 1758; the tombstone says October 6th 1778, ‘aged 69 years’, but the date 1758 is, no doubt, correct as shown in the India Office records, London). Died June 23rd 1761 ‘aged 75 years’. Will dated February 28th 1759, and proved July 6th 1761. Issue:
Mary Wrangham. B. June 7th 1708. Married - Steward.
- Margaret Wrangham. Baptised February 24th 1711/2. Married July 30th 1740 Edwin Alcock, Chaplain, Saint Helena. Died March 10th 1775, ‘aged 62 years’(109)109. Note: the Margaret Wrangham, bapt. Feb. 24, 1711/12 was, no doubt, identical with the Margaret Wrangham, the ‘intended wife’, mentioned as such in the will of Borlace Pike, dated at St. Helena, 24 November, 1733; proved 22nd January, 1733/34, at ‘The Castle’.. Issue:
David Alcock. A ‘Writer’ at Saint Helena. B. June 10th 1744. Petitioned July 30th 1764 ‘to return to England’; the petition was granted.
- Edwin Alcock. B. September 17th 1747. A minor in 1763.
- Ann Alcock. Died February 16th 1751/52.
- Rebecca Wrangham. B. June 17th 1713. Died May 21st 1791, ‘aged 69 years’.
- Elizabeth Wrangham. B. August 19th 1719.
- John Wrangham. B. July 16th 1720.
- Francis Wrangham, junior. Planter, ‘Factor’ at Saint Helena. B. March 2nd 1722/3. Married January 26th 1748/9 Margaret Goodwin (died before November 21st 1758), daughter of Richard Goodwin. Died July 18th 1765, aged about 42 years (the tombstone says died July 18th 1763, aged 10 years). Will dated November 21st 1758, and proved August 5th 1765. No issue.
- William Wrangham. See III.
- Frances Wrangham. Married July 14th 1743 Matthew Purling (or Pinling), mentioned as ‘son-in-law’ in the will of Francis Wrangham, senior, proved July 6th 1761. Issue (mentioned as his grandchildren in the will of Francis Wrangham, senior):
- Margaret Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- Charles Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- Caroline Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- John Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- William Wrangham. B. January 1st 1731/2. Appointed ‘Writer’ at Saint Helena on November 11th 1756, Factor in 1771, to the Council in 1774, 1776, 1780 and 1782, and ‘First in Council’, also at Saint Helena,in 1792. Married November 25th 1760 Elizabeth Draper (who may be the E. Wrangham who appears as a witness to Amelia Wrangham's 2nd marriage). Issue:
Amelia Wrangham. B. July 22nd 1762. This is Miss Emma Wrangham, ‘that celebrated St. Helena Belle’(110)110. Memoirs of William Hickey. Edited by Alfred Spencer. Volume IV (1790-1800). Alfred A. Knopf; New York, 1925. Page 101., ‘a fine dashing girl, not by any means a regular beauty but an uncommonly elegant figure and person; remarkably clever and highly inteligent. Her natural flow of spirits frequently led her into extravagance and follies…; instead of seating herself like other women on horseback she rode like a man astride, and would leap over any hedge or ditch that even the most zealous sporstman were dubious of attempting. She rode several matches and succeeded against the best and most experienced jockeys. She was likewise an excellent shot, rarely missing her bird; understood the present fashionable science of pugilism and would without hesitation knock a man down if he presumed to offer her the slightest insult; in short, she stopped at nothing that met her fancy, executing whatever she attempted with a naiveté and ease and elegance that was irresistible.’
She ‘kept the gossips busy for ten years at least and enjoyed their malice as much as anything else. Francis, leaving India, mentions four possibles in a letter to a friend, Livius; "if you have literally married the Wrangham, or if Mackenzie should have married her, or Collings, or Archdekin…", he wrote. And her name was coupled with several more in the Bengal Gazette, the witty scurrilous paper for which William Hickey’s much-imprisoned namesake Augustus Hicky was so often in trouble. Miss Wrangham was a godsend to this paper, in whose columns all the notables of Calcutta appeared by nicknames; she was the Chinsura belle, or Turban Conquest, or Hookah Turban - she must have smoked a hookah for a bet - and she is mentioned with great regularity in such items as:
"Public Notice: Lost on the Course, last Monday evening, Buxey Clumsy's heart, whilst he stood simpering at the footstep of Hookah Turban's carriage…
Several of her beaux are identifiable under various offensive aliases. Durzee being a tailor, as everyone knows from Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, John Taylor must have been Pigdanny Durgee, who is adjured to:
"Sit cross legged on thy Board of Trade…
In the end she married at Chinsura on May 27th 1782 John Bristow (died October 20th 1802, aged 52, and buried at the Great Burial Ground in Calcutta)(111)111. See ‘The Complete Monumental Register Containing all the Epitaphs, Inscriptions, &c., &c., &c. in the Different Churches and Burial-Grounds in and about Calcutta, etc.’ by M. Derozario; printed by P. Ferris; Calcutta, 1815; page 8., senior merchant in the Honourable East India Company's service, son of John Bristow(112)112. See ‘Bristow of Binsted and Micheldever, Hants.’, Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, 5th series, volume VII, page 8. (died 1770), Governor of the South Sea Company, Director of the Bank of England, M.P. for Beevalston (1754) and Arundel (1761), of Quidenham Hall, Norfolk, and his wife Anne Judith Foissin (died September 19th 1788, aged 86)(113)113. Philip Woodruff, The Men Who Ruled India, volume Ⅰ, The Founders; Jonathan Cape; London, 1953. John Bristow had been Resident to the Court of Oudh. ‘He was appointed to Lucknow in 1782, the year of his marriage, but soon came back to Calcutta, perhaps at his wife’s wish. He was thirty-two when he married and was able to settle forty thousand pounds on Emma; he was a member of the Board of Trade by the time he was thirty-eight. She continued to be the talk of the town and in the interval of presenting him with ‘four lovely children’ was a brilliant success as an amateur actress.’. ‘At the time she left India she had by him 4 lovely children, the proper education of whom was her chief motive for… embarking for Europe.’(114)114. Memoirs of William Hickey. Edited by Alfred Spencer. Alfred A. Knopf; New York, 1925 volume III, page 377. After his death she married 2ndly at Saint Mary le Bone, Middlesex, on December 27th 1804 James Williams, Esq., of Saint Giles in the Fields. Issue from 1st marriage(115)115. John Bristow also had a number of illegitimate children, as recounted in William Hickey's memoirs (vol. IV, page 101, in reference to the year 1793): ‘We received in Calcutta the unpleasant intelligence of the total loss of the Winterton, East Indiaman, outward bound, which ship was wrecked upon the Island of Madagascar, several of the passengers and crew being drowned. Amongst those who luckily escaped were six young ladies, two of them being daughters by a native woman of Mr. John Bristow, of whom I have already spoken as having married that celebrated St. Helena belle, Miss Emma Wrangham’. Among the baptisms recorded in the Bengal Presidency are to be found the following: John, son of Mr John Bristow, May 20th 1774; Charlotte, daughter of John Bristow, Esq., Senior Merchant in the H.C.'s service, born March 1776 and baptised August 4th 1780; Mary, daughter of Mr John Bristow, of the H.C.'s service, September 1777; William, son of John Bristow, Esq., Senior Merchant in the H.C.'s service, born July 1778 and baptised August 4th 1780.:
Drive Emma W-m from thy head…"'
- John Charles Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency January 13th 1785. In the Bengal Civil Service.
- Amelia Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency January 13th 1785.
- Charlotte Louisa Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency January 10th 1787.
- Maria Eliza Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency December 16th 1788. Died December 17th 1788 and buried at the Great Burial Ground in Calcutta(116)116. ‘Complete Monumental Register…’, page 40..
- John Wrangham. B. August 19th 1765.
- Sophia Wrangham. B. February 17th 1766/7. Married August 6th 1786 Alexander Macleod, Esq., of Madras. With issue, ‘a numerous family of children’(117)117. Memoirs of William Hickey. Edited by Alfred Spencer. Alfred A. Knopf; New York, 1925 volume III, page 243..
- Elizabeth Wrangham. Born August 6th 1768 and baptised the following September 4th. Married at Saint Helena March 28th 1784 Ralph Dundas, Esq., of the Honourable East India Company maritime service.
- William Wrangham. Born February 21st 1770 and baptised the following April 1st. Died December 30th 1774 and buried the following day.
- Charlotte Wrangham. Born June 6th 1772 and baptised the following August 28th. Married November 24th 1790 Captain John Ulric Collins, of the Honourable East India Company service.
- Jane Wrangham. Died April 7th 1774 and buried the following day.
- Rebecca Wrangham? Buried May 29th 1778. Other particulars not known.
Marriage - December 17th 1718, Lucas Mason, Bachelor (Governor's Steward) and Eliza Wrangham, Spinster.
Some notes on the Wrangham family appeared in Notes and Queries,
vol. 171, pp. 406, 442;
vol. 172, pp. 88, 160, 303, 338;
vol. 173, p. 33;
vol. 176, p. 213.
It is possible that additional data on the Wrangham family may appear later in the same periodical (?).
A print of ‘Rosemary Hall, on the Island of St. Helena, the seat of William Wrangham, Esqr.’ was published by J. Sewell, October 1st 1797.
- Miss Sylvia Bayley.
- Mr. K.R.M. Fenwick-Beadle.
- Henry Edgar Paston-Bedingfeld, Esq., York Herald.
- Rear Admiral Peter Cecil Gibson, C.B.
- Mrs Dorothea Margaret Williams.
- Canon John Francis Wrangham Hardy, M.B.E.
- Mrs Caroline Wrangham Holt.
- George Dennis Wrangham, Esq.
- James Russell Wrangham, Esq.
- John Robin Wrangham, Esq.
- Miss Norma Wrangham.
- Peter John Wrangham, Esq.
- Mrs. Doreen Hess.