Family Tree of Oswald Wrangham
of Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, England
Back one generation to 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3. George Robert Wrangham
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.5. Joseph Crickmore Wrangham. Born November 2nd 1861. Married February 5th 1890 Edith Annie Hughes, daughter of William John Reed Hughes, engineer. Died December 26th 1943. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.5.1. Dorothy Wrangham. Born July 22nd 1892. Died unmarried September 21st 1949 at Guys Hospital, London.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.5.2. Phyllis Wrangham. Born March 1st 1894. Married 1944 Commander William Snow Bloodworth, M.B.E., R.N. No issue.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.5.3. Irene Wrangham. Born July 25th 1896. Married 1945 John B. Wallace. No issue.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.3.5.4. Norman Wrangham. Born March 20th 1899 at 14 Honley Road, Lewisham. Educated Saint Dunstan's College, Catford. Served W.W.I. Married Margaret Campbell (born Edinburgh March 25th 1909). Died November 16th 1973. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Norma Wrangham. Born September 28th 1936. Unmarried.
Back one generation to 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. George Wrangham
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.8. John Wrangham. Pharmaceutical chemist(91)91. 1861 Census, RG9/363, folio 43. Resident at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey, with his family, an assistant and two servants. See also 1862 Post Office Directory., member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society; subsequently leather merchant in partnership with his elder brother Francis Daniel(92)92. 1881 Census. Resident at 4 College Gardens, Dulwich, with his family and three domestic servants.; gentleman(93)93. As described in the baptismal entries of his children Joseph Ernest, Mary Rebecca and Loetitia Margaret.. Baptised January 8th 1832 at Bridlington. Married by licence at Saint Mary, Lambeth, June 17th 1858 Mary Harris (born March 5th 1838 at 6 John Street, Saint Olave Hart Street, City of London; will dated June 8th 1898 and probate granted August 9th 1904), daughter of Thomas Harris and his wife Mary Self. Died August 30th 1891 at Oakfield, 57 Crystal Palace Park Road, Beckenham, Kent. Will dated March 20th 1884. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.8.1. John Harris Wrangham. Writer and journalist. Born July 14th 1859 at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey. Educated Dulwich College 1871-74. Married by licence at Saint Margaret's Church, Whalley Range, April 19th 1893 Alice Rhodes (who died October 23rd 1939), daughter of Joseph Rhodes, merchant. Died 31st December 1928 at Rock Cottage, Port Saint Mary, Rushen, Isle of Man. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.8.1.1. John Saint John Wrangham. Born 1894. Married Gladys Dorothea -. Died January 11th 1944. No issue?
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.8.1.2. Greeba Diana Hay Wrangham. Died unmarried November 28th 1920.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.8.2. Joseph Ernest Wrangham. Born August 30th 1860 at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey, and baptised March 5th 1861 at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton, Surrey. Died May 20th 1862.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.8.3. Mary Rebecca Wrangham. Born January 31st 1862 and baptised April 30th at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton, Surrey. Married 1884 Arthur Joseph Baume (died September 24th 1936), Director of Baume & Company, President of the French Hospital, Shaftesbury Avenue, Vice-President of the Horological Institute, Officer of the Legion d'Honneur and member of the Belgian Order of Leopold II, youngest son of Louis Victor Baume, Director of Baume & Company(94)94. See ‘A Hundred Years of Time, the Story of Baume and Company, Watchmakers’; published by Baume and Company, London and La Chaux-de-Fonds, n.d.. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.8.3.1. Antoinette Baume. Died aged 1 year.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.8.3.2. Dorothy Baume. Born March 15th 1890. Died unmarried June 27th 1973.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.8.3.3. Phyllis Zéline Baume. Married in London November 11th 1911 Captain Alexander Cecil Gibson(95)95. Born September 3rd 1889 in Toronto, Canada; educated Upper Canada College 1903-07; 2nd Lieutenant 9th Bedfords 1914; wounded on the Somme July 1st 1916; Mentioned in Despatches; died October 11th 1968., son of Captain Alexander Horace Cecil Gibson(96)96. Born 1862 in Quebec; educated Malvern College and Clare College, Cambridge; Captain, The Royal Grenadiers; Barrister-at-Law; married Toronto February 1st 1884; Died January 31st 1911 in Toronto., B.A., L.L.B. and his wife Grace Murray Walker. Died August 21st 1947, aged 55. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Arthur Alexander Cecil Gibson. Lieutenant Colonel, Royal Tank Regiment. Director of Baume & Company 1939. Born in Canada April 19th 1912. Married 1935 Agnes Mary Tillson. Died in England September 24th 1981. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Christopher Arthur Cecil Gibson. Born September 8th 1938. Educated Downside Abbey and the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. Married 1973 Caroline Keene-Miller, daughter of J. Keene-Miller. Resident in Nairobi, Kenya. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1. Alastair Edward Cecil Gibson. Born October 28th 1974. Educated Milton Abbey.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.2. Fergus Hugh Cecil Gibson. Born March 4th 1978. Educated Milton Abbey.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Anthony P. Cecil Gibson. Born March 28th 1943. Educated Downside Abbey. Married December 4th 1965 Rosemary Ann Lacey. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.1. Nigel J. Cecil Gibson. Born June 11th 1967.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.2. Domini C. Cecil Gibson. Born March 18th 1970.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.3. Jeremy P. Cecil Gibson. Born October 24th 1974.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3. Joanna Cecil Gibson. Married October 1973 Michael Bray. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.1. James P. Bray. Born April 24th 1976.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.2. Anna May Bray. Born October 27th 1978.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Rear Admiral Peter Cecil Gibson, C.B. Born Toronto, Canada, May 31st 1913. Educated Ealing Priory. Married 1938 Phyllis Anna Mary Hume(97)97. Niece of Sir William Hume, President of the College of Physicians; first cousin of Basil, Cardinal Hume., daughter of Major Norman Haliburton Hume, I.M.S (died March 29th 1936). Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1. Michael Cecil Gibson. Educated Ampleforth College. Married in England August 1972 Kristen Strickland of New Zealand. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.1. Amy Cecil Gibson. Born in England.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.2. Eleanor Cecil Gibson. Born in New Zealand.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.3. Imogen Cecil Gibson. Born in New Zealand.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Nicholas Cecil Gibson. Born August 31st 1942. Educated Ampleforth College. Married June 10th 1967 Veronica Royle. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.1. Simon Cecil Gibson. Born 1969. Educated Clifton College and Southampton University.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2.2. Lucinda Cecil Gibson. Educated Guildford High School and Clifton College.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.2.3. James Cecil Gibson.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3. Peta Veronica Cecil Gibson. Educated Leweston Manor Convent. Married August 23rd 1969 Steven John Norris, M.P (Conservative; Oxford East, 1983-1987; Epping Forest, 1988), son of John Francis Birkett Norris and his wife Eileen Winifred Walsh. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3.1. Anthony Hugh Norris. Born September 4th 1974. Educated Eton College.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.3.2. Edward George Stephen Norris. Born December 26th 1985.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Anthony Stephen Cecil Gibson. 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Tank Regiment. Born United Kingdom October 8th 1916. Killed in action in 1943.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52. Zéline Grace Cecil Gibson. Born March 30th 1921. Married Leslie James Harrison (born 1920 and died May 29th 1978). Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1. Anthony J. Harrison. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.2. Zéline Jane Harrison. Married J. Cosenza. Issue:
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. Trevor L. Harrison. Issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4. Deborah A. Harrison. Unmarried.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168. Patricia Cecil Gibson. Born February 22nd 1923. Married Ralph Pike (born 1919).
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.8.4. Thomas Harris Wrangham.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.8.5. Loetitia Margaret Wrangham. Baptised December 15th 1867 at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton, Surrey. Married at Saint Luke's, Hampstead, December 18th 1907 Walter William Westmore (born c. 1862; married 1stly -; died March 14th 1927), gentleman, son of Sydney Westmore, gentleman. Died at Three Corners, Ringwood Road, Ferndown, Dorset, on August 2nd 1945. No issue.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.8.6. Louisa Frances Wrangham. Born June 17th 1872 at 4 College Gardens, Dulwich, Surrey. Died 1872.
Back one generation to 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.8. John Wrangham
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.8.4. Thomas Harris Wrangham. Born February 14th 1864 at 3 Acre Lane, West Brixton, Surrey, and baptised October 5th at Saint John the Evangelist, Brixton. Educated Dulwich College, 1875-81. Married at the church of the Holy Trinity and Saint Mary, Lambeth, March 20th 1897 Louisa Sennett(98)98. Younger sister of Sir Richard Christopher Sennett, Sheriff of the City of London. (born November 16th 1867 and baptised May 14th 1876 at Christchurch, Southwark; died March 7th 1954; willproved June 12th 1954), daughter of Richard Sennett (born May 17th 1834 and baptised June 8th at Saint John Horselydown, Bermondsey; will dated March 11th 1887 with a codicil dated July 24th 1896) and his first wife Eleanor Bradley (died November 15th 1880). Died at 33 Pickwick Road, Dulwich, March 13th 1922. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.8.4.1. Lieutenant Colonel Louis Harris Wrangham, M.C., R.M.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.8.4.2. Joan Wrangham. Born January 22nd 1899 at The Holme, Portarlington Road, Bournemouth, and baptised March 27th at the parish church of Saint Michael, Bournemouth. Married at the church of the Holy Trinity, Kensington Gore, Middlesex, April 20th 1929 Lieutenant Colonel Claude Percy Fisher, R.A.V.C., M.R.C.V.S, knight 3rd and 4th Class of the Order of the Nile, mentioned in despatches, sometime chairman Poulton Parish Council (born March 12th 1893 at Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, and baptised at Dunlavin Church of Ireland Parish Church; died September 14th 1985 in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, and buried in Poulton Parish Church), younger son of Thomas Fisher (born August 5th 1859 at Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, and baptised October 2nd at Dunlavin Church of Ireland Parish Church; died May 4th 1939) and his wife Susanna Hosford (baptised December 14th 1851 at the Scot's Presbyterian Church in Bandon Bridge, Co. Cork, and died January 3rd 1934). Died January 25th 1992 in Cirencester and buried January 31st at Poulton Parish Church. Issue, an only daughter:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Sheelah Louise Fisher. Born October 21st 1931 at 8 Avonmore Mansions, North East Fulham, London, and baptised on December 16th at the parish of the Holy Trinity with All Saints, Kensington Gore. Educated Lanherne House (Dawlish, Devonshire, 1940-44), Cheltenham Ladies College (1944 to Easter 1949), Saint Hilda's College, Oxford University, and Chelsea Polytechnic, London. Granted the following Arms for Fisher on October 21st 1993 (by the Earl Marshal's warrant dated December 1st 1992): Argent, two bars wavy between three horseshoes reversed Sable; the Arms to be borne by Sheelah Louise Fisher de Avendaño and by her descendants and to be placed on a memorial or otherwise displayed to the memory of her late father. Married at the Church of Saint James, Spanish Place, Manchester Square, Saint Marylebone, November 24th 1956 señor don José Luis de Avendaño y Porrúa (born November 20th 1915 in Santander, Spain, and died September 21st 1967 in Madrid), journalist and London correspondent, commander of the orders of Isabella the Catholic and Civil Merit, elder son of don Luis de Avendaño y Conte(99)99. 25th in descent from King Henry II of England. (born Santander March 21st 1887 and died Santander November 21st 1933) and his wife doña Josefa Porrúa de Agüeros (born Santander April 3rd 1890 and died Santander November 23rd 1918). Died 8.40 a.m. on March 1st 1996 at the Hospital Universitario de San Carlos (Clínico), Madrid, and buried the following March 9th in the Avendaño family grave at Ciriego Cemetery, Santander(100)100. Death notices in The Times and Daily Telegraph (March 9th 1996), and ABC (March 8th 1996).. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Luis de Avendaño. Born in London on September 25th 1957 and baptised at the church of Our Most Holy Redeemer and Saint Thomas More, Cheyne Row, Chelsea SW3. Educated at the French Lycee, London, and Runnymede College, Madrid. Served 1978-81 3rd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment. Married Victoria Gillen, only daughter of Henry Gillen and Rosemary Jenison. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1.Michael Henry de Avendaño. Born in Madrid on August 9th 2004.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Miguel de Avendaño, M.R.A.C. Born in London on March 22nd 1960 and baptised April 10th at the church of Our Most Holy Redeemer and Saint Thomas More, Cheyne Row, Chelsea SW3. Educated Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, 1986-88. Married at the church of Santiago de los Caballeros, Cáceres, Spain, October 25th 1997 Rocío Ramírez de Haro y Alós, eldest daughter of don Juan Ramírez de Haro y Ulloa, II Marqués de Cambil and III Conde de Villamarciel, and doña Carmen de Alós y Merry del Val.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. Sylvia de Sienes. Born in Madrid December 31st 1971. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.1. Carlotta Spinelli. Born in Rome on June 17th 2004.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.8.4.3. John Basil Wrangham. Lieutenant, Royal Tank Regiment; P.O.W. 1941-45. Born October 26th 1908. Educated Brightlands School and Dulwich College, 1922-25. Married 1946 Mrs Patricia Sarah Elizabeth Tudor (née Truscott; died January 24th 1991). Died at Stoke Knapp Farm, Broadwindsor, Beaminster, Dorset, June 8th 1964. No issue.
Back one generation to 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.8.4. Thomas Harris Wrangham
22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.8.4.1. Lieutenant Colonel Louis Harris Wrangham, M.C., R.M. Born December 28th 1897. Educated Hailey School, Bournemouth, 1908-12, and Dulwich College, 1912-14. ‘Joined the Royal Marines on December 20th 1915 as Temporary 2nd Lieutenant. From June 1916 to the end of the war he served with the Royal Naval Division in France. He was wounded on three occasions and awarded the M.C. on September 28th 1918. Transferred to the permanent list after the war, he served for a short period on H.M.S. Repulse. In September 1921 he was appointed to H.M.S. Renown for the period of the Prince of Wales's tour to the Far East. He then served as a Lieutenant in the 11th Royal Marine Battalion in the Mediterranean and soon after his return was seconded in December 1924 for employment under the Sudan Government. Promoted to Captain in October 1926, he served altogether for seven years in the Sudan being G.S.O III, Sudan Defence Force, during 1927 and 1928, and D.A.A.G. during his remaining three years there. He was never fond of normal peace-time routine, and service in the Sudan suited him perfectly; he was, in fact, anxious to remain there for a further three years, but some further experience with the Royal Marines being deemed necessary he returned home at the end of 1931 and his subsequent service included periods in H.M.S. Berwick, Colombo and Glorious. It was while serving in the last named ship in the Mediterranean that he decided to retire, and he was placed on the retired list at his own request on November 25th 1936. He was recalled for service in June 1939 and appointed to the Admiralty for duty in the Naval Intelligence Division, where he served until his death on September 1st 1941’ (Temporary 2nd Lieutenant 20/12/15 to 19/12/16; Temporary Lieutenant 20/12/16 to 27/12/16; Royal Marines Lieutenant 28/12/16; Captain 20/10/26; attached to Sudan Defence Force -Staff Captain 18/11/28- 6/12/24 to 5/12/31101)(101)101. Army List, 1934.. Married in Cairo, Egypt, Mary Bellingham Senior (born September 15th 1905 and died February 22nd 1977), daughter of Doctor Arthur Senior (born August 20th 1868) and his wife Jessie Marguerite Hartmann (born October 9th 1880). Died September 1st 1941 on war service. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. John Robin Wrangham. Born November 23rd 1931. Educated Clayesmore School. Married 1stly 1959 Carolyn Valentine Epps. Married 2ndly at Dibrugarh (Church of Scotland), Assam, India, October 29th 1966 Anthea Margaret Hannay, daughter of Major Eric John Hooker Hannay, tea planter (born February 18th 1913 and died July 24th 1976). Resident in Papua New Guinea. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Nicholas Louis de Reimer Wrangham. Assumed the name of Dixon. Born in India in 1960. Educated Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester?
- Issue from 2nd marriage:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2. Jonathan Senior Wrangham. Born in Calcutta, India, February 8th 1969. Educated Clayesmore School. Married September 1991 Mrs Susan Teresa Collihole (née Palmer). Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.1. Sophie Suzanne Wrangham. Born November 10th 1989.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.1. Gemma Robyn Wrangham. Born June 7th 1991.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3. Wendy Stewart Wrangham. Born in Calcutta, India, August 6th 1970. Educated Bristol University, B.A. (Hons), Classical Studies.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Peter John Wrangham. General Manager, Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. Born April 30th 1934. Married in Singapore January 5th 1963 Bridget Beach (born 1937), daughter of Surgeon Rear Admiral William Vincent Beach, C.B., O.B.E., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., F.R.C.S.E., and his wife Daphne Muriel Joseph. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1. Fiona M. Wrangham. Born December 20th 1964 in Hong Kong. Married at Chelsea Old Church September 8th 1990 Simon H. Vaughan-Johnson, eldest son of Charles Vaughan-Johnson. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.1. James Anthony Vaughan-Johnson. Born June 16th 1995.
Back one generation to 18.104.22.168.4.1.6. John Wrangham
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Joseph Wrangham. Chemist and druggist, New Malton(102)102. ‘Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory, ... Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire’; London, 1834; page 361.. Baptised May 15th 1796 at Thorpe Bassett. Married by licence (Archbishop of York) at Saint Michael, New Malton, December 25th 1817 Jane Nicholson (died November 23rd 1872 and buried at Old Malton; will proved 1873) daughter of George Nicholson(103)103. Brother of the painter Francis Nicholson (born November 14th 1752 at Pickering). and his wife Elizabeth Hardy. Will dated April 25th 1854, probate granted February 23rd 1857 at the P.C.C. Died November 19th 1856 and buried at Old Malton. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1. Ann Wrangham. Baptised January 6th 1819 at New Malton. Married 1841 or 1842 George Hardy (born at Wharram Percy October 6th 1813 and died March 3rd 1896), Actuary, son of Thomas Hardy and Frances Monkman. Died September 15th 1884. Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.1.1. George Wrangham Hardy. Chemist and Druggist, New Malton. Died February 2nd 1921 and buried at Old Malton. By Elizabeth Robinson(104)104. Referred to in his will, dated March 8th 1917, as ‘Elizabeth Robinson, usually called Elizabeth Robinson Hardy, who now lives with me at West Bank’, 4 Manor Road, Alexandra Park, Scarborough. he had the following issue:
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.1.1. Frances Alice Hardy. Married John Lyall Taylor. Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. Dorothy Hamilton Taylor.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.1.2. Maud Annie Hardy. Died 1937.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.1.3. Ida Hardy. Died 1937.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.2. Joseph Wrangham Hardy. Chemist and druggist, New Malton. Born at Malton 1850. Married Amelia Elgar (born at Peterborough March 21st 1854 and died March 13th 1915 in Malton), daughter of James Elgar of Scarborough (born in London c. 1820), candle maker, and his wife Elizabeth (born in London c. 1821). Died June 25th 1896. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.2.1. Digby Wrangham Hardy. Physician and surgeon. Born March 2nd 1880. Married July 25th 1908 Ethel Smailes (born June 21st 1877 and died August 2nd 1961). Died January 23rd 1937. Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Canon John Francis Wrangham Hardy, M.B.E., T.D. Born July 26th 1911. Educated University of Leeds and Wells Theological College. Curate of Christchurch, Harrogate, 1935-38; Curate of Harewood 1938-47; C.F. (T.A.) 1939-65; Rector of Addingham 1947-53; Guiseley 1953-67; Surr. 1953-67; Exam. Chap. to Bishop of Bradford 1954-57; Hon. Can. of Bradford 1959-67; Canon (Emer.) from 1967; Asst. chaplain Order of Saint John of Jerusalem from 1960; D.A.C.G.N. 1960-65; Hon. Chaplain to H.M. the Queen 1962-64 and from 1967; Rector of Queen's Norton Priory from 1967; R.D. of Towcester from 1969.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124. Ethel Mary Wrangham Hardy. Born June 21st 1913. Died March 21st 1986.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Richard Michael Wrangham Hardy. Born February 9th 1916. Married at Eastbourne January 15th 1942 Joan Clifford Dingle (born October 5th 1919 in Calcutta, India, and died August 2nd 1986 in Tunbridge Wells). Issue:
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1. Adrian Mark Wrangham Hardy. Born May 18th 1954 in London. Married at Crofton, Orpington, Kent, February 25th 1978 Linda Kathleen Clarke (born March 13th 1953 at Bexley Heath). Issue:
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.1. Mark William Wrangham Hardy. Born November 5th 1983.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.1.2. Adam James Wrangham Hardy. Born October 27th 1985.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.1.3. Katrina Joan Hardy. Born July 15th 1988.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2. Julian Michael Wrangham Hardy. Born July 22nd 1979 in Orpington, Kent. Married at Spalding, Lincolnshire, September 8th 1990 Elizabeth Jayne Stuckey.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2.1. Alexandra Elizabeth Wrangham Hardy. Born November 15th 1991.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.2.2. Nicholas Michael Wrangham Hardy. Born April 30th 1994.
- 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.2.2. Anna Wrangham Hardy. Born November 27th 1881. Died April 1959 and buried in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.2.3. George Wrangham Hardy. Solicitor; municipal commissioner in Darjeeling, India. Married 1stly December 28th 1910 Nancye Johnstone (born April 14th 1886 in Hove, Sussex, and died July 7th 1922 in Charmouth, Dorset). Married 2ndly Adela Florence - (died November 7th 1975). Died April 28th 1949. Issue from 1st marriage:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Nancye Nigella Wrangham Hardy. Born July 5th 1922 in Charmouth, Dorset. Married June 2nd 1947 Frank Ayles (born December 11th 1913 in Romford, Essex, and died December 28th 1966 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire). Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1. Peter Ayles. Born April 30th 1948 in London. Married June 22nd 1974 Susan Ruth Sharp. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.1. Michael Richard Ayles. Born December 13th 1977 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.2. Melanie Clare Ayles. Born September 5th 1979 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1.3. Timothy John Ayles. Born May 21st 1982 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.4. Louisa Charlotte Ayles. Born May 21st 1982 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2. Bryony Ayles. Born November 7th 1949 in Calcutta, India. Married December 27th 1969 Jean-Marie Arthur Norbert Stassin (born 1945). Issue:
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.2.1. Zara Marie Belinda Stassin. Born January 23rd 1972 in Stirling, Scotland.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.2. Iain Nicholas Stassin. Born December 13th 1974 in Boxford, Suffolk.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3. Stephanie June Ayles. Born July 12th 1952 in Sudbury, Suffolk. Married July 27th 1974 Sylwester Andrzej Maciej. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.1. Joanna Andrea Maciej. Born December 3rd 1979 in Long Beach, California, U.S.A. Married 2001 Kevin Clarke.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.3.2. Helenka Isabelle Maciej. Born June 12th 1984 in Worcester.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.3.3. Marissa Lucy Maciej. Born April 27th 1987 in Worcester.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.4. Heather Ayles. Born October 1st 1955 in Boxford, Suffolk. Married March 19th 1979 John Stuart Tipler. Issue:
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4.1. Julius Ryan Tipler.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.4.2. Keri Louise Tipler. Born August 31st 1982 in Cawston, Norfolk.
- 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4.3. Alexander Tomczynski Tipler. Born August 14th 1984 in Norfolk.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.2. Richard Wrangham. Chemist and druggist, Bridlington(105)105. 1857 Post Office Directory, North and East Ridings of York.. Baptised May 17th 1820 at Saint Michael, New Malton. Died unmarried at Charing Cross Hospital, London, October 5th 1866. Will proved 1873.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.3. George Wrangham. Baptised April 3rd 1822 at Saint Michael, New Malton.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.4. John Wrangham. Baptised May 21st 1823 at Saint Michael, New Malton.
- 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.5. Jane Wrangham. Baptised January 10th 1829 at Saint Michael, New Malton.
- 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.6. Elizabeth Wrangham. Baptised April 12th 1830 at Saint Michael, New Malton. Died January 28th 1899 and buried at Old Malton. Administration granted 1899 to George Wrangham Hardy.
- 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.7. Joseph Wrangham. Chemist and druggist, New Malton(106)106. 1851 Census, H0/107/2367. Resident at 61 West Gate, with an apprentice and a servant.. Baptised August 8th 1831 at Saint Michael, New Malton. Died unmarried March 3rd 1874. Will proved in 1874.
The Will of Robert Wrangham of Langton
April 15th 1678
In ye name of God Amen I Robert Wrangham of Langton in ye County of Yorke husbandman sicke in body but pfect in memory thankes be given to Almighty God for his mercyes in Jesus Christ through whose meritts I hope for aeternall life doe make this my last will and testament as followeth first I give & bequeath my soul to God that gave it and my body to be buried wth decent buriall, and for temporall estate wherewith God hath blessd mee I give and bequeath as followeth, first I give and bequeath to my
sonne nephew Robert five pounds Item I give and bequeath to my sister Ann Seller wife of John Seller ten shillings, Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth that cow close at Thornthorpe called Sleighte or fourescore pound to be paid by my eldest sonne George within a yeares time after my decease, Item I give and bequeath to my sonne Robert & his heires all my land att Kenethorp which I lately bought of Willm Seller of Slingsby, Item I give to my daughter Ann seven pounds in full satisfaccon of all her porcon, as for all ye rest of my land I give to my eldest sonne George whom I make my heire, and for my psonal estate, undisposed of, I give and bequeathe it to my loving wife and my two sonnes George & Robert whom I make ioynt executors of this my last & testamt
witnesse my hand & seale
Aprill ye 15 / 1678 /his R mrke
Henrie Beale John Symm
The Wranghams of the Island of Saint Helena
The library of the Society of Genealogists, in London, holds a typescript copy of some notes on the Wrangham family of Saint Helena by ‘E.F.M.’, dated February 18th 1939 at San Diego, California, USA(107)107. ‘Wrangham Family of Saint Helena: Some Genealogical Notes.’. The following is an adaptation:
The notes following, on the Wrangham family of St. Helena, are based upon data supplied by G.C. Kitching, Esq., O.B.E., Government Secretary, Jamestown, St. Helena, and by Miss L.M. Anstey, of the India Office, Whitehall, London S.W.1.
Some of the dates given on a tombstone in Jamestown Cemetery do not always agree with the dates shown in the Church Registers or in the records of the India Office. Inasmuch as the tombstone was erected after the events of death and burial, the dates shown in the inscription are, no doubt, less accurate than those which appear in the Church Registers or in the India Office Records.
For a very readable and well documented account of the Island, see:
‘St. Helena, 1502 - 1938’;
London: Cassell, 1938.
- Samuel Wrangham. A planter at Saint Helena. Married April 6th 1686 Naomi Jewster, daughter of Job Jewster, planter, Saint Helena. Issue:
- Francis Wrangham. See II.
- Mary Wrangham. B. September 13th 1688.
- Rebecca Wrangham. B. June 16th 1690.
- Ann Wrangham. B. December 16th 1691.
- Sarah Wrangham. B. June 27th 1694. Married April 5th 1709 Benjamin Sich.
- Margaret Wrangham. Baptised February 26th 1696/7.
- Samuel Wrangham. Baptised July 9th 1699(108)108. His mother's name appears as Amy (i.e. Naomi) in the register..
- Francis Wrangham, senior. Planter at Saint Helena. Born January 18th 1686/7. Married Margaret - (died October 6th 1758; the tombstone says October 6th 1778, ‘aged 69 years’, but the date 1758 is, no doubt, correct as shown in the India Office records, London). Died June 23rd 1761 ‘aged 75 years’. Will dated February 28th 1759, and proved July 6th 1761. Issue:
Mary Wrangham. B. June 7th 1708. Married - Steward.
- Margaret Wrangham. Baptised February 24th 1711/2. Married July 30th 1740 Edwin Alcock, Chaplain, Saint Helena. Died March 10th 1775, ‘aged 62 years’(109)109. Note: the Margaret Wrangham, bapt. Feb. 24, 1711/12 was, no doubt, identical with the Margaret Wrangham, the ‘intended wife’, mentioned as such in the will of Borlace Pike, dated at St. Helena, 24 November, 1733; proved 22nd January, 1733/34, at ‘The Castle’.. Issue:
David Alcock. A ‘Writer’ at Saint Helena. B. June 10th 1744. Petitioned July 30th 1764 ‘to return to England’; the petition was granted.
- Edwin Alcock. B. September 17th 1747. A minor in 1763.
- Ann Alcock. Died February 16th 1751/52.
- Rebecca Wrangham. B. June 17th 1713. Died May 21st 1791, ‘aged 69 years’.
- Elizabeth Wrangham. B. August 19th 1719.
- John Wrangham. B. July 16th 1720.
- Francis Wrangham, junior. Planter, ‘Factor’ at Saint Helena. B. March 2nd 1722/3. Married January 26th 1748/9 Margaret Goodwin (died before November 21st 1758), daughter of Richard Goodwin. Died July 18th 1765, aged about 42 years (the tombstone says died July 18th 1763, aged 10 years). Will dated November 21st 1758, and proved August 5th 1765. No issue.
- William Wrangham. See III.
- Frances Wrangham. Married July 14th 1743 Matthew Purling (or Pinling), mentioned as ‘son-in-law’ in the will of Francis Wrangham, senior, proved July 6th 1761. Issue (mentioned as his grandchildren in the will of Francis Wrangham, senior):
- Margaret Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- Charles Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- Caroline Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- John Purling. Living February 28th 1759.
- William Wrangham. B. January 1st 1731/2. Appointed ‘Writer’ at Saint Helena on November 11th 1756, Factor in 1771, to the Council in 1774, 1776, 1780 and 1782, and ‘First in Council’, also at Saint Helena,in 1792. Married November 25th 1760 Elizabeth Draper (who may be the E. Wrangham who appears as a witness to Amelia Wrangham's 2nd marriage). Issue:
Amelia Wrangham. B. July 22nd 1762. This is Miss Emma Wrangham, ‘that celebrated St. Helena Belle’(110)110. Memoirs of William Hickey. Edited by Alfred Spencer. Volume IV (1790-1800). Alfred A. Knopf; New York, 1925. Page 101., ‘a fine dashing girl, not by any means a regular beauty but an uncommonly elegant figure and person; remarkably clever and highly inteligent. Her natural flow of spirits frequently led her into extravagance and follies...; instead of seating herself like other women on horseback she rode like a man astride, and would leap over any hedge or ditch that even the most zealous sporstman were dubious of attempting. She rode several matches and succeeded against the best and most experienced jockeys. She was likewise an excellent shot, rarely missing her bird; understood the present fashionable science of pugilism and would without hesitation knock a man down if he presumed to offer her the slightest insult; in short, she stopped at nothing that met her fancy, executing whatever she attempted with a naiveté and ease and elegance that was irresistible.’
She ‘kept the gossips busy for ten years at least and enjoyed their malice as much as anything else. Francis, leaving India, mentions four possibles in a letter to a friend, Livius; "if you have literally married the Wrangham, or if Mackenzie should have married her, or Collings, or Archdekin...", he wrote. And her name was coupled with several more in the Bengal Gazette, the witty scurrilous paper for which William Hickey’s much-imprisoned namesake Augustus Hicky was so often in trouble. Miss Wrangham was a godsend to this paper, in whose columns all the notables of Calcutta appeared by nicknames; she was the Chinsura belle, or Turban Conquest, or Hookah Turban - she must have smoked a hookah for a bet - and she is mentioned with great regularity in such items as:
"Public Notice: Lost on the Course, last Monday evening, Buxey Clumsy's heart, whilst he stood simpering at the footstep of Hookah Turban's carriage...
Several of her beaux are identifiable under various offensive aliases. Durzee being a tailor, as everyone knows from Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, John Taylor must have been Pigdanny Durgee, who is adjured to:
"Sit cross legged on thy Board of Trade...
In the end she married at Chinsura on May 27th 1782 John Bristow (died October 20th 1802, aged 52, and buried at the Great Burial Ground in Calcutta)(111)111. See ‘The Complete Monumental Register Containing all the Epitaphs, Inscriptions, &c., &c., &c. in the Different Churches and Burial-Grounds in and about Calcutta, etc.’ by M. Derozario; printed by P. Ferris; Calcutta, 1815; page 8., senior merchant in the Honourable East India Company's service, son of John Bristow(112)112. See ‘Bristow of Binsted and Micheldever, Hants.’, Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, 5th series, volume VII, page 8. (died 1770), Governor of the South Sea Company, Director of the Bank of England, M.P. for Beevalston (1754) and Arundel (1761), of Quidenham Hall, Norfolk, and his wife Anne Judith Foissin (died September 19th 1788, aged 86)(113)113. Philip Woodruff, The Men Who Ruled India, volume I, The Founders; Jonathan Cape; London, 1953. John Bristow had been Resident to the Court of Oudh. ‘He was appointed to Lucknow in 1782, the year of his marriage, but soon came back to Calcutta, perhaps at his wife’s wish. He was thirty-two when he married and was able to settle forty thousand pounds on Emma; he was a member of the Board of Trade by the time he was thirty-eight. She continued to be the talk of the town and in the interval of presenting him with ‘four lovely children’ was a brilliant success as an amateur actress.’. ‘At the time she left India she had by him 4 lovely children, the proper education of whom was her chief motive for... embarking for Europe.’(114)114. Memoirs of William Hickey. Edited by Alfred Spencer. Alfred A. Knopf; New York, 1925 volume III, page 377. After his death she married 2ndly at Saint Mary le Bone, Middlesex, on December 27th 1804 James Williams, Esq., of Saint Giles in the Fields. Issue from 1st marriage(115)115. John Bristow also had a number of illegitimate children, as recounted in William Hickey's memoirs (vol. IV, page 101, in reference to the year 1793): ‘We received in Calcutta the unpleasant intelligence of the total loss of the Winterton, East Indiaman, outward bound, which ship was wrecked upon the Island of Madagascar, several of the passengers and crew being drowned. Amongst those who luckily escaped were six young ladies, two of them being daughters by a native woman of Mr. John Bristow, of whom I have already spoken as having married that celebrated St. Helena belle, Miss Emma Wrangham’. Among the baptisms recorded in the Bengal Presidency are to be found the following: John, son of Mr John Bristow, May 20th 1774; Charlotte, daughter of John Bristow, Esq., Senior Merchant in the H.C.'s service, born March 1776 and baptised August 4th 1780; Mary, daughter of Mr John Bristow, of the H.C.'s service, September 1777; William, son of John Bristow, Esq., Senior Merchant in the H.C.'s service, born July 1778 and baptised August 4th 1780.:
Drive Emma W-m from thy head..."'
- John Charles Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency January 13th 1785. In the Bengal Civil Service.
- Amelia Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency January 13th 1785.
- Charlotte Louisa Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency January 10th 1787.
- Maria Eliza Bristow. Baptised Bengal Presidency December 16th 1788. Died December 17th 1788 and buried at the Great Burial Ground in Calcutta(116)116. ‘Complete Monumental Register...’, page 40..
- John Wrangham. B. August 19th 1765.
- Sophia Wrangham. B. February 17th 1766/7. Married August 6th 1786 Alexander Macleod, Esq., of Madras. With issue, ‘a numerous family of children’(117)117. Memoirs of William Hickey. Edited by Alfred Spencer. Alfred A. Knopf; New York, 1925 volume III, page 243..
- Elizabeth Wrangham. Born August 6th 1768 and baptised the following September 4th. Married at Saint Helena March 28th 1784 Ralph Dundas, Esq., of the Honourable East India Company maritime service.
- William Wrangham. Born February 21st 1770 and baptised the following April 1st. Died December 30th 1774 and buried the following day.
- Charlotte Wrangham. Born June 6th 1772 and baptised the following August 28th. Married November 24th 1790 Captain John Ulric Collins, of the Honourable East India Company service.
- Jane Wrangham. Died April 7th 1774 and buried the following day.
- Rebecca Wrangham? Buried May 29th 1778. Other particulars not known.
Marriage - December 17th 1718, Lucas Mason, Bachelor (Governor's Steward) and Eliza Wrangham, Spinster.
Some notes on the Wrangham family appeared in Notes and Queries,
vol. 171, pp. 406, 442;
vol. 172, pp. 88, 160, 303, 338;
vol. 173, p. 33;
vol. 176, p. 213.
It is possible that additional data on the Wrangham family may appear later in the same periodical (?).
A print of ‘Rosemary Hall, on the Island of St. Helena, the seat of William Wrangham, Esqr.’ was published by J. Sewell, October 1st 1797.
- Miss Sylvia Bayley.
- Mr. K.R.M. Fenwick-Beadle.
- Henry Edgar Paston-Bedingfeld, Esq., York Herald.
- Rear Admiral Peter Cecil Gibson, C.B.
- Mrs Dorothea Margaret Williams.
- Canon John Francis Wrangham Hardy, M.B.E.
- Mrs Caroline Wrangham Holt.
- George Dennis Wrangham, Esq.
- James Russell Wrangham, Esq.
- John Robin Wrangham, Esq.
- Miss Norma Wrangham.
- Peter John Wrangham, Esq.
- Mrs. Doreen Hess.